Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dlmart2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2007
I downloaded it, installed it and said 'Send a text to my wife I'll be home soon" and it tried to search the internet for it. I deleted it.

Clearly you people don't fully understand what Siri does if you think this is a competitor.

You are the one who clearly doesn't fully understand the two. You used Google Voice Search to try to text your wife, and got angry that it did a search.

Clearly you did not understand what I wrote. Yes its a nice and very fast voice search tool.. it is no Siri competitor as the TITLE of this thread suggest by stating "Google Search App Brings Siri-Competitor to iPhone"

MMOTotal

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2012
Azeroth
Of course it can't, Google doesn't have access to your phone and other apps the way Apple does.

But what's clear is that Google Search is much faster and more accurate at interpreting speech. The difference is very noticeable.

No denying that, lets hope Apple further improves Siri.

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
Doesn't seem to be available in Ireland on the App Store? Edit: showing up now!

Ps the direct link isn't direct, it also links to app shopper

Last edited:

zin

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
It's not speaking the answers back to me like in the video.

Seems Apple may have forced them to remove that functionality.

EDIT: I am mistaken. Spoken answers only work for English (US) and not English (UK) or French. I can't confirm if spoken responses work for any other languages, though.

Last edited:

terrapinjess

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2012
Ok ok...

EVERYONE is saying how it's faster than Siri...

Are you factoring in this?:

Im currently on my home screen, I decide to do a voice search:

Which is quicker?:

I hold down the button, wait for siri to beep and prompt me to start speaking. I speak "I need a mechanic." Siri searches and then results come up.

I'm on my home screen, I tap the google search app, wait for it to open, tap the voice button to start speaking and then I speak "I need a mechanic". etc etc...

I wonder which really IS quicker.

Probably seconds, I do not know.

Siri's open/load time + search time vs. non-native google app opening/loading + tapping voice search button

Last edited:

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
It's MUCH faster than Siri for looking up info from Internet (movie times, sports, maps, etc).

Of course, it's limited because it's not integrated into the OS. Still, hopefully they'll add things like adding calendar events to Google Calendar and maybe Gmail functions.

Does it send the voice recording to Google servers? The think I really hate about Siri is how it uses a lot of data. It shouldn't even need an internet connection to function.

devilstrider

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Siri is not just a search tool.

How many of these things can Google Search do?

I can do all but one on my galaxy nexus with google now. Let me fix that. After more testing I can do all those.

----------

Which is quicker?:

I hold down the button, wait for siri to beep and prompt me to start speaking. I speak "I need a mechanic." Siri searches and then results come up.

I'm on my home screen, I tap the google search app, wait for it to open, tap the voice button to start speaking and then I speak "I need a mechanic". etc etc...

Siri's open/load time + search time vs. non-native google app opening/loading taping voice search button.

LOL that's the lamest excuse I have heard in a long time. Man you are pathetic.

Last edited:

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011

Which is quicker?:

Siri's open/load time + search time vs. non-native google app opening/loading taping voice search button.

No doubt it's easier to access Siri, but the fact that Google Search is able to interpret your voice and give you results pretty much instantly means that Apple can do better. I really hope Siri improves in a big way in iOS 7. Maps and Siri are Apple's potential Achilles heel right now. They need to fix those issues or people will start to grumble about a poorer user experience, and that's not good. Not good at all.

CapnJackGig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2011
Nice, blows Siri out of the water. Apple seriously needs to step its game up. Google now has better voice support, better maps support, and a better mobile OS.

GoldenJoe

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
I just dont see the appeal of voice search. It doesn't add significant value, and is implemented poorly. Not sure why everyone is pushing it so hard; it reminds me of 3DTV.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Nice, blows Siri out of the water. Apple seriously needs to step its game up. Google now has better voice support, better maps support, and a better mobile OS.

I wouldn't say that Google has a better mobile OS overall. But they do have better maps and better voice recognition. They're also getting multiple user accounts (coming soon - not sure when). That's another thing Apple desperately needs, especially for iPad. (Knowing Apple, they will make it an iPad-only feature).

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Siri has been lame since day one. It isn't revolutionary or magical. And it doesn't "just work".

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Tried it out and it's awesome indeed.

If you live outside the US, as I do, the difference is monumental between this and Apple's offerings. I don't think American Apple users know how crappy stuff like Weather, Maps or Siri is when you live in a small town in Europe.

I asked Google Search for the weather and it gave me the latest data from a weather station three blocks away. Apple gives me the weather in a neighboring town 25 miles away.

I told GS "I'm hungry" and it listed 11 restaurants in my neighborhood. Tried the same with Siri and she listed 3, one of which closed over 2 years ago.

I asked GS for the nearest gas station and it listed all the ones in my town including the one I'm looking at through my window. I asked Siri and she said "I found fifteen gas stations, they're pretty far from you". Yes, far indeed. They're all in Eastern Finland, I'm in Sweden. Superimposed on a map of the USA, it's like living in Sacramento, CA and being directed to gas stations in Ely, NV.

Apple is happy to take our money, but that's the only time we exist, apparently.

fosman

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2005
I don't seem to get voice feedback. Just goes straight to a google page. Is this a UK thing?

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
I find it extremely amusing to see that Google produces higher quality Apps for iOS than it does for its own Android platform.

This app is a stripped down version of Google Now for Android that provides a whole host of other features (along with cards) that aren't available on iOS. I fail to see how this is higher quality.

SgtPepper12

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2011
Germany
Wow, this is way better than Siri. Of course, it's not integrated into the OS, so it's not able to do some stuff, but whatever. The voice even sounds much better than Siri's voice.

Raima

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2010
That's only because Google doesn't have access to the phone's settings, as Siri does. In every way, it's a better, faster voice interpreter. Google Search is phenomenal, I have to say that I'm worried about this little competition Apple has gotten itself into...they should allow Google to do what they do best (information and search), and Apple should focus on the things they do best (simple, beautiful software and amazing hardware design).

Apple is simply not going to win when it comes to information/maps and search. Not a chance.

I agree. The technology that they have, has the potential to make the android phones so much more versatile than what siri is on the iphone.

That is if they haven't done it already. That's a really attractive feature to convert people over to android. I hope apple are taking note and are coming out with a dominate solution that seperates them a part over all other competition.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Wow, this is way better than Siri. Of course, it's not integrated into the OS, so it's not able to do some stuff, but whatever. The voice even sounds much better than Siri's voice.

Yeah, that's another thing that blew me away. Siri still sounds like a stilted robot even at the best of times, and her voice is somewhat irritating. The Google voice is much better in comparison and doesn't sound artificial at all. Especially when pronouncing the name of my city...Google says it in a completely natural voice. Siri sounds like she's choking out the syllables.

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
Clearly you did not understand what I wrote. Yes its a nice and very fast voice search tool.. it is no Siri competitor as the TITLE of this thread suggest by stating "Google Search App Brings Siri-Competitor to iPhone"

And everything's still going over your head.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
Tried it out and it's awesome indeed.

If you live outside the US, as I do, the difference is monumental between this and Apple's offerings. I don't think American Apple users know how crappy stuff like Weather, Maps or Siri is when you live in a small town in Europe.

I asked Google Search for the weather and it gave me the latest data from a weather station three blocks away. Apple gives me the weather in a neighboring town 25 miles away.

I told GS "I'm hungry" and it listed 11 restaurants in my neighborhood. Tried the same with Siri and she listed 3, one of which closed over 2 years ago.

I asked GS for the nearest gas station and it listed all the ones in my town including the one I'm looking at through my window. I asked Siri and she said "I found fifteen gas stations, they're pretty far from you". Yes, far indeed. They're all in Eastern Finland, I'm in Sweden. Superimposed on a map of the USA, it's like living in Sacramento, CA and being directed to gas stations in Ely, NV.

Apple is happy to take our money, but that's the only time we exist, apparently.

one of the best posts I read all day. it also shows apples attitude towards customers. they only focus on what the majority wants and neglect everyone else. Unfortunately by that most people get neglected in one or the other aspect. I just got a Nexus 7 as a gift and I have to say I like it more than my iPad1. The iPad mini would have to be phenomenal to make me choose a $400 iPad mini over a $250 Nexus 7. The huge advantage of iOS over Android has gotten very small for my use.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
They're also getting multiple user accounts (coming soon - not sure when). That's another thing Apple desperately needs, especially for iPad. (Knowing Apple, they will make it an iPad-only feature).
I for one would be happy if you could just put the damn thing in guest mode, so that whoever you hand it to isn't one tap away from faceraping you or scrolling through your personal photos, mail, notes etc. Yeah, I get it Apple, you want to sell one iPad to each family member, but there are other scenarios...

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
It's a sampler of what you get if you have an Android 4.1+ device and Google Now. Of course, the iOS app doesn't do the awesome Google now stuff like show you alerts about whether there's heavy traffic on the way home or a reminder when to leave your current location to make it to the next appointment in your calendar on time...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.