Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Playing around with it:

-Google Voice Search much faster than Siri

-GVS is better at visualizing information

-Web searches happen right in the GVS app. Siri opens Safari (would be nice if Siri just popped up a web view when doing a web search so you wouldn't have to leave Siri)

-GVS voice recognition slightly worse than Siri (however, I don't know if Google Voice Search gets better the more you use it like Siri does; if it does then it's too early to say this for sure)

-Wolfram Alpha integration with Siri lets Siri display a lot more info (even if the presentation isn't that great). Would be nice for Google to add WA results.

-Siri can do OS-related tasks that GVS can't, but that's not Google's fault. However, Google could integrate its own apps. "Send an email" in GVS could create a new email in Gmail; "Lunch with John tomorrow at 1PM" could create a Google Calendar event, etc. Since I use Gmail/Google Calendar/etc, this would be nice.

Google did a very nice job. But I also like Siri a lot too!

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
iOS 6 and now Google Search with voice have given new life to my old 3GS...it's working better than it ever did under iOS 5 - except those pesky maps.

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
Really? First of all this app has had voice search for some time. It's just improved not new.
Secondly it does not do many things that Siri does which should be obvious.

[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Google has given its iOS app a new search feature that squares it directly at Apple's Siri. Google even calls it the "most advanced voice search" on iOS. Google gives a number of examples of how the service can be used.
YouTube: video
The service feels notably faster than Siri, recognizing words as they are spoken rather than all at once in the end. It even works on devices that aren't supported by Siri. One commenter on Hacker News confirms that the voice search works on his iPhone 4.

Google Search for iOS is available free on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Google Search App Brings Siri-Competitor to iPhone

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
I can't speak to the others, but I actually quite like Yelp!
Again, it probably depends on where you live. For me, Yelp produces results that are laughably incomplete, inaccurate and/or outdated. Maybe Yelp is very US-centric or something. Apple seems to go for those partners. They can't give me local weather, they can't give me local movie listings and so on. Google does all of it, even if you live in some puny town in Denmark or Poland. Apple basically stops caring once they've got the capital of each country covered.

Do you consider Google to be a crap 3rd party service?
Nope, but since Apple is at war with them and have thrown them out of everything except web search in Safari, I don't consider them one of Apple's partners.

I just think if Apple focused more on what they do well, and less on competing with Google at what it does well, they'd be very successful, and have compelling enough reasons for people to buy their hardware, which as most agree, is where they make most of their profits.
They can do whatever they feel like, as long as they make up their minds: Go all-in and be the best, or get out.

Nahaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2010
Australia
Just downloaded the app and it appears to have no sound for me on my iPhone 4
Is this normal, or have I missed a setting?

Also, I've noticed it's probably accurate for people living in America and maybe Canada but when I ask for an auto mechanic (Australia) it gives me a listing for mechanics that are 250km away, unlike Siri.

ric275

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2011
This would've made me very happy when I had an iPhone 4... Bit late now that I've got Siri on iPhone 5! :mad:

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
As others have pointed out, it is missing context. Sorry but you cannot blame Apple for that one. They could implement a session cookie for the webservice calls made by the app that contained no identifying information but helped to maintain the context of a session. Another alternative would be a session key passed back and forth in the query response. That stops being RESTful and more like RPC but I see it as a mixture of REST and RPC because the initial request has no context and the key only provides a way for the server to maintain context of the conversation between the client and server.

ALMF

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2012
I have an iPhone 4 so this is nice. Gave it a a few test tries and it works very well.

I like :)

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Nice, blows Siri out of the water. Apple seriously needs to step its game up. Google now has better voice support, better maps support, and a better mobile OS.

You forgot better phones. Samsung S3 and Note 2 are tag teaming iPhone 5.

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
I've had Google's Siri equivalent on my Galaxy Nexus since Jelly Bean was released. On an Android phone it does everything Siri does (ie. it can access all my contacts, calendar, files, music, etc.) and does it better.

There's nothing new here except Google bringing what they can (the instant Google search with smart cards) to iOS.

Kudos to Google for not withholding this from iOS in a feeble attempt to sell more Nexus phones. Also just highlights how withholding Siri from pre-4S iPhones was a marketing ploy to sell new phones.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Holy crap - anyone just amazed how fast the recognition is?

Apple take note
Well it's clearly happening locally, in the app. Apple for some reason needs to bounce the recorded voice data against their servers, resulting in Siri sometimes taking her sweet time.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
The speed in recognizing your speech as you speak it is impressive but the way it does it hinders the results.

It uses commonly searched terms to complete your request as you're still talking but because of this, it will ignore what you actually said in favor of a similarly sounding term.

Try this:

Speak: "Show me pictures of iPad mini"

Result: it searches for pictures of iPod mini.

I've tested this with multiple people with me here now and it always replaces iPad mini with iPod mini.

iPad and iPod may be one letter away from being the same word but they sound very different. No matter now much you stress the A in iPAAAD it will change it to iPod.

Nonetheless, Apple now has a target to beat. Instant speech recognition results is how SIRI should always have been.

I take back my praise. It does this a lot! It gets the word right as I say it but then replaces it with some other word consistent with popular search terms. It constantly overrides what I say even though it got it right the first time. This makes it very frustrating and frankly unusable.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
No way that this is as good as SIRI.

All that Google ever does is to fire up the copy machines and imitate everything that Apple does first. But Apple has a huge head start and Google will NEVER catch up.

Google does not respect its users privacy. Stay away unless you want every secret aspect of our life to be sold to the highest bidder.

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
I just wish Google was a little better at marketing the fact that their voice search tech has been available on Android for a while. They're terrible at advertising, and could really take a big chunk of Apple's market share if they were just a little more aggressive.

I'm quite glad I switched to Android, to be honest. Haven't missed a beat and the interface is just so much more intuitive and easy to use; I don't get frustrated that I can't do things unless I launch a task-specific app.

Can't wait to get the Nexus 4 either!

sportsfan

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2009
Just Google Search with Voice Recognition?

Is it noting more than google search? instead of typing it uses voice recognition?

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
No way that this is as good as SIRI.

All that Google ever does is to fire up the copy machines and imitate everything that Apple does first. But Apple has a huge head start and Google will NEVER catch up.
Did you even try the app or did you just write a standard rant that doesn't apply here? Apple's voice recognition does not have a huge head start, this app demonstrates that they're already lagging behind, just like they did with the miserable voice recognition they had before Siri, "Voice Control" which never got a word right.

Google does not respect its users privacy. Stay away unless you want every secret aspect of our life to be sold to the highest bidder.
Well at least they don't store recordings of my voice input, unlike Apple: http://mashable.com/2012/06/28/apple-siri-stores-voiceprint/

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
Is it noting more than google search? instead of typing it uses voice recognition?

Essentially yes but it pulls information from the web and presents/speaks it to you. It will also display the actual Google search results page below, but it'll always present information to you in a consumable manner if it can, ie. photos, definitions, weather results, sports scores, statistics, recent news stories, etc.

On my Galaxy Nexus at least I can ask it something like "Who directed Iron Man" and it'll actually pull up a picture of Jon Favreau, instead of just giving me a search result for "who directed Iron Man."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.