Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
The new Google app is fast - but so is Siri where I live - which is quite rural.

When I asked Google if it would snow tomorrow, it brought up a weather forecast. When I asked Siri the same question, she told me it would snow.

Nice to have the app, but I like Siri better.

hspace

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2011
Fast and efficient voice recognition on my iPhone 4!?!?!?

But I thought it was impossible! :D

Seeing it parse words as you speak is very cool.

kenfused

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2009
What happened to the google people saying they did not want people talking to their phone, but talking to people

devilstrider

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
...erm not really? Got my friends GS2 in my hand running it, nowhere near as smooth. Don't get me wrong, Google Now is awesome, but the App itself has got nothing on the iOS version.

At the end of the day, I don't want Google knowing everything about me. Just by having an Android phone, you're telling Google everything about you. I'll stick to my iPhone, thanks.

GS2? Man pick up a GS3 or Galaxy nexus then come back. I have a galaxy nexus and it's smooths as hell.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Having read the comments here I went to the app store
to download Google Search and all I get is a blank white screen.
On both my iPhone 4 and iPad 2 ANYONE else having this
problem.

I blame Google for that.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Now we know the reason for the management changes last week. Software failures compared to the competition.

Very bad news for apple, wish it were not true, but it is

I can't help but think this app had something to do with Forstall being fired. This is light-years ahead of Siri in terms of speed and accuracy. The only thing Siri has going for it is that it's heavily integrated into iOS. This is a time where I wish we could pick a default voice command app.

CaneCollegeboy

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2003
I just downloaded this app and love it. It may not be as integrated as Siri but considering my iphone 4 has no Siri this is a hands down win from Google.

zin

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
Anyone know why the app doesn't have sound effects like in the video in op?

English (US) is the only language supported for voice replies (as far as I know). I have tested English (UK) and French and they do not have voice responses.

However, English (US) works perfectly for listening to non-US pronunciation.

EDIT: You can change by Settings -> Voice search -> Scroll down -> Select English (US)

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
No way that this is as good as SIRI.

All that Google ever does is to fire up the copy machines and imitate everything that Apple does first. But Apple has a huge head start and Google will NEVER catch up.

Spoken like a true fanboy. Have you tried researching Google's voice search team online? There are actually quite a few articles and videos showing a lot of the innovation they are bringing. Apple didn't create Siri. They just bought it. And since they have bought it, it is questionable whether they have improved it or made it worse (Woz seems to think they ruined it).

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
i just updated mine the speech recognition seems way better even dare me say better than Siri but i don't get the the voice like the commercial is there anything i can do to resolve this.

kenfused

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2009
Cool app, works on my ipod touch 4th Gen

Ask Google "What is the best smartphone ever made?" :)

see what he says..

touchipods

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2012
One thing is for sure, the google search has a soft kind voice while Siri sounds like a woman version of C-3PO.

newskin

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
English (US) is the only language supported for voice replies (as far as I know). I have tested English (UK) and French
and they do not have voice responses.

Thx zin, I updated the app and now have the voice answers.

However, English (US) works perfectly for listening to non-US pronunciation.

EDIT: You can change by Settings -> Voice search -> Scroll down -> Select English (US)
Thx zin, all sorted now. Gotta say, it's pretty darn quick!

To everyone not getting the voice initially, just go back into AppStore and there will be an immediate update a available.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I like how it just brings up information. On Siri I say things like "what is unsupervised clustering?" I get a response saying "would you like me to search the web for unsupervised clustering?" You have to then say "yes" or hit a button. I asked for information, if Siri doesn't automatically have that information, shouldn't she automatically do something else to give it to me? Why ask me if I then want to search the web?

That said, I still cannot get Google Search to accurately give me an answer for "what is unsupervised clustering?" It gets stuck on the "unsupervised" word.

jman240

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
That awkward moment when you realize that some Apple users will get this before some Android users

wjdav2

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2011
i just updated mine the speech recognition seems way better even dare me say better than Siri but i don't get the the voice like the commercial is there anything i can do to resolve this.

Same was happening to me. On your phone go to the app store and check for an update to the app. I downloaded the app and got no voice, then did the update and the voice was there just like in the video.

mewolyp

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2012
On my Galaxy Nexus at least I can ask it something like "Who directed Iron Man" and it'll actually pull up a picture of Jon Favreau, instead of just giving me a search result for "who directed Iron Man."

I'm using this app on my iPhone4 and it also pulls up a picture of Jon Favreau while speaking his name.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.