Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I just turned 50 this year and I decided to give away my iPod Touch. There comes a time when one needs to grow up. Once I did that, I found that I no longer needed to wear my Old Skool Vans, skinny jeans, and hipster glasses.

The only things true about this post are that I am 50, still rockin' the Old Skools, and I still have my 64GB 4G iPod Touch.

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
At the alternatives section.
obama presented the queen with an ipod on one of his visits to the uk... there is no age limit to listen to music; and why not take advantage of the new devices out there?

perhaps i wouldnt go for one of them flashy colours, but there is black or grey.

fsumom

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2010
Dear Sir,

There is absolutely no age limit to the usage of any Apple products, or electronic devices for that matter. Please do not be too concerned with societal perceptions of what product being suitable to what age group or whatsoever. Buy whatever makes you happy and as long as you enjoy using it, why bother about what people think?

Yours sincerely,
a 18 year-old boy

I just love this. I'm a 30 year old mother of one, and I was just contemplating an iPod Touch for myself. I just bought my daughter an iPad mini because I wanted her to have a bigger screen for movies and the such, but I think I would enjoy have a device that we could possibly sync together and play games, use facetime, etc. Is that possible?

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
I just love this. I'm a 30 year old mother of one, and I was just contemplating an iPod Touch for myself. I just bought my daughter an iPad mini because I wanted her to have a bigger screen for movies and the such, but I think I would enjoy have a device that we could possibly sync together and play games, use facetime, etc. Is that possible?

Yes, the new iPod touch 5th gen will be able to carry out FaceTime HD calls with the iPad mini if both devices are connected to wifi. No worries about that. You do need to have 2 Apple IDs though I think.

mrskb

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2012
Michigan
I just turned 50 this year and I decided to give away my iPod Touch. There comes a time when one needs to grow up. Once I did that, I found that I no longer needed to wear my Old Skool Vans, skinny jeans, and hipster glasses.

The only things true about this post are that I am 50, still rockin' the Old Skools, and I still have my 64GB 4G iPod Touch.

:eek: I caught that....and I'm close to 60...(loved my 4g, waiting impatiently for my new Blue 5g, by the way)

fsumom

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2010
Yes, the new iPod touch 5th gen will be able to carry out FaceTime HD calls with the iPad mini if both devices are connected to wifi. No worries about that. You do need to have 2 Apple IDs though I think.

Thanks for the reply :).

TomCat

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2000
...perhaps i wouldnt go for one of them flashy colours, but there is black or grey.
The "slate" nano is the only one without the ugly white insert panel on the front. I normally go [product] RED, but I would have to go slate if I were to get one.

I bash those who pay $700 for the latest iPhone (still on a 3G), but maybe I'm being hypocritical since I've owned 7 iPods (including the original which probably has a serial number of "1"), 5 of which still work just fine, and I am seriously interested both in the new nano and the Touch, which might be the best iPods since the G3 nano.

And 50 to me is a distant memory.

laylaseidel

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2012
No one is old to own an iPod, iPad or any Apple stuff. ;) They got good sounds for the grown ups in iTunes and that simply means that they are still part of technology. I think mature people who use gadgets are actually cool! :)

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
This is the silliest post I have ever read.

No, I have seen some that are WAY MORE SILLY!

It may remind people what us "old people" were listening to when we were young! Some of the best Rock music ever created. There will never be another Zeppelin, ELP, Who or Hendrix. Glad to hear that they are still being listened to!:)

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
It is always great to see so many older people using the latest tech. My grandma is terrified of computers, not matter how much I've tried to convince her it would save her a lot of time.

spartig

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2012
Greetings, I'm almost 60 and wonder if it looks weird for someone that old to be carrying around an iPod. I mean is the iPod considered more of a toy as opposed to the iPhone which is considered more mature? I see where people give their kids iPods to play games. Is the iPod considered more of a gaming device?
Should I feel odd showing family photos on an iPod when my peers have their photos on an iPhone or other smart phone?

You are almost 60 and you still care what other people think?! Perhaps you are still too young and immature to use it; as you are still influenced by silly social concepts of appearance/class/age/gender/whatever...

For most people... When you are 20 you care about what others think. When you are 40 you stop caring what others think. When you are 60 you realize nobody ever really cared in the first place.

Last edited:

artblue

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2012
Never to Old

I am 75 and I love my iPod I listen to a lot of music when I am working out my local gym it is handy because I have downloaded some of my LPs onto my ipod.

TedM

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
California

My dad is around 70ish and loves his ipod. however it took him almost half a decade to figure out how to use it..:apple:

macjonny1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
I just was talking to a 78 year old guy. He had a newest gen (iphone5 based) Ipod touch and the older touch, and was using both at the same time. One for reading books (was surprised given the size of the text) and one to look up stuff.

Bob Coxner

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
Greetings, I'm almost 60 and wonder if it looks weird for someone that old to be carrying around an iPod. I mean is the iPod considered more of a toy as opposed to the iPhone which is considered more mature? I see where people give their kids iPods to play games. Is the iPod considered more of a gaming device?
Should I feel odd showing family photos on an iPod when my peers have their photos on an iPhone or other smart phone?

FWIW, very few people will be able to tell whether you're using an iPhone or Touch 5g. Remember they share the same size and screen. With Google Voice you can even make phone calls on the Touch as long as you have WiFi access. Almost everyone is going to assume it's an iPhone anyway.

As someone else in the same age cohort, I don't give a flying rat's ass what anyone thinks of which gadgets I use or how I use them. Just stay off my lawn! :)

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
The iPad certainly isn't considered a kids toy. To me, the iPod Touch is just a pocket iPad. Don't really care how other people view it. It's a device that I use everyday.

Tooloud4granny

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2012
Been browsing this site for a couple of months now (buying either a macbook or imac) great place btw.
bought my daughter an ipod mini many years ago, was so impressed with the technology i went out and got one the next day (music is my elixir), best thing since sliced bread, now using 3rd gen. itouch with sennheiser IE8i's, all tunes are at 256-320kbps for play and at work (sometimes, most times) and when at home its plugged into a Zeppelin Air or on my desktop B&W MM1's.
I'm 53 and i say to you sir do not give any mental rent to what people think just enjoy the technology we're able to get our hands on

caoimhe

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2012
I just was talking to a 78 year old guy. He had a newest gen (iphone5 based) Ipod touch and the older touch, and was using both at the same time. One for reading books (was surprised given the size of the text) and one to look up stuff.

My dad at 80 has several ipods and an iphone! I used to read on the 1st gen touch until the iPad was released, coming from the old Palm Pilot then Pocket PC devices it was a huge improvement!

penfan82

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
I am in my late 40s and honestly can't see myself in 20 years changing I love my gadgets I have iPad iPhone iPod touch and iPod Classic and use them all and not embarrassed by any of them get it and enjoy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.