Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The embargo has just lifted on the first iPad Mini reviews. Apple has provided some publications with an early review unit of the iPad Mini. We are collecting some of the more interesting points from each review, but you can click each title to read the full writeup. The iPad Mini will officially launch on November 2nd and will likely be available in retail stores beginning at 8am.

35438986_galileo_01_610x436-500x357.jpg
CNet

- "What's unique about the Mini? Without a doubt, it's the design. It's cute, it's discreet, and it's very, very light."
- "If you're an obsessive over crisp text, you'll notice the fuzziness. If you're comparing the Mini to a laptop, you won't."
- "A Retina Display and a lower price would have made the iPad Mini perfect."
- "it's really shockingly nice to hold."
- Regrading smaller bezel: "All I know is that when reading books on the Kindle app or iBooks, holding on the side wasn't a problem."

The Verge

- "I actually had a little trouble holding onto the device when I wasn't using the Smart Cover due to the back being as smooth as it is, and the frame being so thin."
- "There's something endearing about the mini that makes you want to keep it on-hand and use it often."
- "I don't think the lower resolution is a deal-breaker in this product, but it is a compromise you have to be aware of."
- "Battery life was -- not surprisingly -- everything Apple claimed it would be."
- "The iPad mini hasn't wrapped up the "cheapest tablet" market by any stretch of the imagination. But the "best small tablet" market? Consider it captured."

ipadmini-handheld-500x333.jpg
Engadget

- "Overall, the tablet is very comfortable to hold; its thinness and lightness are both attributes that must be perceived first-hand."
- "Colors are very pleasing to the eye and viewing angles, as ever with an Apple display, do not disappoint."
- "In our standard battery run-down test, which entails looping a video with WiFi enabled and a fixed display brightness, the iPad mini managed an astounding 12 hours and 43 minutes."
- "This is, in many ways, Apple's best tablet yet, an incredibly thin, remarkably light, obviously well-constructed device that offers phenomenal battery life. "
- "To consider it just a cheap, tiny iPad is a disservice. This is, simply, a great tablet."

The Guardian

- "Lining those pluses and minuses up against those for the Nexus 7 - which garnered four stars - there's no doubt that this is indeed a five-star device. The 20% difference in comparative price is more than made up by the difference in build quality and software selection."

Loop Insight

- "What I found was surprising to me. I actually used the iPad mini more than my iPad."
- "If you want to save $50 and buy a cheap-ass tablet, go ahead. If you want quality the iPad mini will be waiting for you when you come to your senses."
- "Everything just works on the mini -- all of your old apps, iCloud, everything."

Article Link: First iPad Mini Reviews: "Shockingly Nice to Hold", Non-Retina Display, Pricier than Rivals

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
I could get two of them if the applications I like runs of it. One is for doing visuals in live shows, the other application is a programmable midi controller to manipulate my MBP.

I will wait to see it at the store and then I will see.

Aidan5806

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
So basically they like it, and there aren't any major deal breakers. Thats what i expected and hoped for........its not a perfect tablet.....but no tablet is perfect.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
I sold my iPad for the Mini and now I'm typing notes for my test on my iMac...I hate it! I'm secluded in my room and miss hanging out in the family room typing the up on my iPad. Hurry up Mini!

Last edited:

Rocketman

macrumors 603
This boils down to how much resolution do you really need? The mini is a far better deal than the 2 with the cellular capability when needed. For a remote, a convenience web appliance, car display, near field TV, it's juts fine and especially for those without visual impairments.

Rocketman

BTW the next black should be painted not anodized. I love anodizing. For limited use rocket parts.

Therefore purple!

I8P'CS

Suspended
Jul 29, 2010
Wow some biased reviews. I guess some don't want to be band from Apple events or want Apple to mention them in the key note. Point blank its a nicer design but specs wise and no retina is a rip off.

TurnTronics

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2012
Cincinnati, OH
There are times when I am on the move that my iPhone is just too small for typing emails quickly. Instead of carrying around a regular iPad or MBP, the Mini will be a nice compact travel companion.

belltree

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2008
Tokyo, Japan
My points:

• Form factor looks great, very appealing and easy to hold.

• No retina is not a show stopper but will likely appear in the next iteration in 2013 so no point in buying now. I will wait and see what happens next spring or fall.

• The price is the real show stopper here. Insane pricing. The 16GB price should be for 32GB. Only then would I consider purchasing this device despite my strong desires for it. That said many will open their wallets and blow their $$ on this device and that's what Apple wants.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Seems like a decent product. But simply just overpriced. Even more now that you can get a 32GB Nexus 7 for $249. I know some people prefer iOS, but damn paying $80 more and for half the storage. The only thing you gain is a rear camera.

To each his own I suppose.

call me crazy but the iPad mini doesn't exist in my world.

Ok...

1c4218bb_original.jpeg

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
I'm very worried about the screen especially after these reviews. Waiting till next year.

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
Wow some biased reviews. I guess some don't want to be band from Apple events or want Apple to mention them in the key note. Point blank its a nicer design but specs wise and no retina is a rip off.

So where can we find your write up from your hands on with an actual device? I mean, you have used one to be so sure, right?

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
So, the screen is pixelated and it's noticeable from reading the reviews, but it's not a deal breaker for me. I sold my iPad 3 for it. Oh well. I'll just sell the Mini next year and get the Mini 2. Apple resell is always good.

justski

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2011
Stoked for mine to show up Friday. Got the cover today and love the size. No regrets at all even if it is updated in the spring.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Would love to own one. That form factor and size is very appealing. Would easily sell off my iPad 3rd gen for it if it had a retina display. I strongly believe revision 2 will have one, and if it doesn't, I'll see what the iPad 5th gen has to offer.

Still pretty expensive in my opinion. But being the current owner of multiple Apple products, I shouldn't be surprised.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
An increasing number of folks are posting here complaining about pricing and specs. They and their bretheren are not buying, or using, the other guy. The iPad is the dominant thing. Complain about the $50-80 price premium all you want but it includes prepaid network effects.

As for this Mini not having a Retina display, I suppose you want that before it can be technically hatched, and also at the same time, at a $100 product discount. Um, no. Apple is already the volume producer early mover! Stop whining!

Just Rocketman

AAPL invested over (USD) $50B in factories to lean forward on the insufficient morsels they already dole out. Wasn't enough? Wasn't soon enough? Wasn't quite forward leaning enough? Bah!! They're so pissed about their own performance they fired two key people this week alone. Think about that.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.