Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
"Psst, Google 'sells' their tablets much cheaper! You should check 'em out!"

bUxJcHJvZy1teTAx_o_pinocchio---donkey-transformation-music-only.jpg

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
You know, I remember once at IBM a colleague (head of a regional sales/marketing division) said to me, "go get an article placed in a journal favouring our products." I thought, wow, this person really doesn't understand journalism, nor does he understand how advertising and PR are separate disciplines in an organisation, as well as in magazines. What I also suspect is that people who make statements like his (and yours) don't even understand the difference between PR and advertising in general.

Ever see the movie, "All the President's Men"?

:rolleyes:
Ever read the magazine, Stereophile?

xak

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2012
I will wait until it receives a Retina Display until I consider buying one, just as I did with the iPad.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Is that a magazine for listeners who prefer stereo music to mono?
Nope. It's a magazine that caters to people that are actually like what Apple users are accused of being: spending too much money just because. Sometimes, it may be the opposite of what you said, come to think of it.

And per my use of it: its articles are 100% positive about all products all the time, lest they lose the advertising on other pages. 10 year old girls with a new Build-A-Bear cannot keep up with the gooey, gushy, happiness found in its pages.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
The Mini seems to be well received, But The Loop and others aren't right about cost.. "save $50.." Nexus is $130 cheaper. That's not a 20% price increase, its 40!”

etrinh

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
No kidding. I am blown away by how many people are in love with Apple products no matter what they release. The mini is about $100 overpriced and will have a hard time competing with the Kindle HD, Nook HD and Nexus all of which have better resolution than the mini and cost less.

Lol. It's only overpriced b/c 'Zon and 'Oogle are subsidizing the hardware costs. Are you trying to say that Apple should start doing the same?

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
This boils down to how much resolution do you really need? The mini is a far better deal than the 2 with the cellular capability when needed. For a remote, a convenience web appliance, car display, near field TV, it's juts fine and especially for those without visual impairments.

Rocketman

BTW the next black should be painted not anodized. I love anodizing. For limited use rocket parts.

Therefore purple!

I'm waiting for apple to start introducing carbon fiber in their products, paint and anodizing are surface covers and scratches are more noticeable. CF won't show scratches as much, the weave patterns look awesome and its lighter. Guess Apple is still trying to figure out how to mass produce? One day Apple will be carbon fiber and liquid metal :)

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
The blogosphere is full of fans drooling over everything Apple - of course we expected loving reviews.

Do we believe them? Not so much....

Yeah, the Guardian newspaper in the UK is a publication lacking credibility. :rolleyes:

BTW, your argument is a logical fallacy, and it's called, "shoot the messenger."

Come on, if you want to argue a different position than those publications you've just attacked, pick an argument that is logical and cogent.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Retina can be a disadvantage. I'd rather have a non-retina iPad than a retina iPad, especially if you factor in the price difference. The decreased battery life just isn't worth it to me.

Maybe I'll buy this particular model once version 2 comes out, which will probably have a retina display.

tctony

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
I would think about ditching my iPad 3 if the Mini had a retina screen.

tctony

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Retina can be a disadvantage. I'd rather have a non-retina iPad than a retina iPad, especially if you factor in the price difference. The decreased battery life just isn't worth it to me.

Maybe I'll buy this particular model once version 2 comes out, which will probably have a retina display.

No way is retina a disadvantage. Every other phone and tablet screen looks like crap once you've had retina.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
It's like a netbook. Smaller, lighter, underpowered, and doesn't do anything "better" than it's big brother.

It's quite overpowered if you consider what you'd use it for. The full-sized iPad is just overkill, and I'd never buy a new one.

----------

No way is retina a disadvantage. Every other phone and tablet screen looks like crap once you've had retina.

1. My eyes suck, so everything looks like that.
2. Still, even if I look at the screen closely so it's within focus distance, it's not really that great. I use a retina iPhone 4, and I've used my dad's MBPR (which he's getting rid of because he also doesn't care about retina) and my cousin's iPad 3G. Then I go back to my 1920x1080 21" monitor I bought from eBay for my Mac Pro for $80 and don't feel a big difference.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.