Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
I would think about ditching my iPad 3 if the Mini had a retina screen.

It's a shame it didn't come with a retina screen, but that would have been a double leap - they just came out with the retina screen in the full sized iPad, so though I was hoping it'd make its way into the smaller mini screen, I didn't seriously expect it.

That said, next generation, I expect a leap in screen resolution, whether full retina or not, they effing better upgrade the screen quality and when they do (next autumn) I'll sell my gen 1 mini and happily upgrade to a gen 2! :)

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Still no interest in owning one.

Yeah. Me either.

That said, I spat out the same line when the original iPad was released too .Ended up by one of those and by 4th gen iPad is on the way. My guess is that I will probably end up with one of these mini iPads one of these days, but it won't be until they put a retina screen in one.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
My friend saw the Xoom and thought it was an iPad-killer. Then he decided that it wasn't and simultaneously decided that tablets were useless. He then bought a Sony tablet, and he's never used it.

After all the failed "iPad-killers", I've given up on them for now. I'll try to try out a 7" cheap tablet, but it's already a non-deal if it can't sync with my PC.

jhr3uva90

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2011
"Biased" Reviews?

Of course reviews are biased! They are opinions! With a review (just like a column), you make an assertion and then use the article as evidence to support their assertion. I blame our educational system that so poorly teaches reading comprehension and how to read different types of works that people don't know the difference between a news article (unbiased) and a review/opinion piece/column (inherently biased because that's the point).

Now about the posters who belittle the iPad mini and other products. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, of course. However, I think it is a little childish to write comments on an Apple blog disparaging Apple products. Just saying.

applebook

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2009
Good battery life is something that one can expect from Apple --unlike most of the competition, which doesn't have the slightest clue.

blimey48

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2011
But the Ipad 4 is now out - you have an obsolete tablet.

;)

The blogosphere is full of fans drooling over everything Apple - of course we expected loving reviews.

Do we believe them? Not so much....

You haven't tried Imaps, then....

what's imaps? oh is that on the touch?

----------

The reason everyone is upset about the resolution is because the mini is priced too high for the quality of the product. Why spend $329 on the mini when you could spend $379 for a retina iPad.

size. portability. lightweight. retina ipad is 499, $170 is a big difference

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
HAHA this is hilarious. The anti-Apple zealots in the discussions on all of these sites are FUMING that the iPad mini has received positive reviews from pretty much every review.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
Wow some biased reviews. I guess some don't want to be band from Apple events or want Apple to mention them in the key note. Point blank its a nicer design but specs wise and no retina is a rip off.

They've actually seen and used one. I haven't. Have you? If you haven't, your claims that they're biased are laughable. If you have, by all means please enlighten us with your unbiased review.

jhr3uva90

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2011
Yes, Apple could have made the iPad mini screen a retina display. However, iOS is not resolution-independent, so developers would have to modify their apps to fit an iPad mini retina display. That means a delay in having optimized apps. By contrast, the iPad mini will have ten of thousands of apps optimized for its screen on DAY ONE of the mini's release.

Yes, the Google Nexus 7 and other Android tablets might have higher PPI, but how many apps do they REALLY have? It seems to me most of the apps for those tablets are really phone apps. Flipboard is an example.

lianlua

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
Amazon managed it. Google managed over 300ppi with stunning displays on their Nexus 7 and Nexus 10.
Yeah, except they didn't, really. Managing to sell a product at or below its cost isn't really a feat of business or engineering mastery. If they had managed to cover all costs and turn a profit and deliver that same hardware for the same price, that would be something else entirely.
Apple could have done it if they wanted to :mad:
Sure, and Google could sell the Nexus 7 for $7 if they wanted to. It's not really about that.

These are big companies with different business models and product profiles, making complex decisions. I don't think either will be unsuccessful.
Obviously they needed to make a profit with it. And doing that required a series of business decisions and compromises. But once they went with no Retina, they really needed to find another way to make it appealing.
Seems like they did. Everything about the iPad mini is an improvement on the iPad 2, which still scores well inside the pack. You're getting an equal or better product in every way for $329 for something that a year and a half ago cost $499. There's plenty that's appealing about that.
No way is retina a disadvantage. Every other phone and tablet screen looks like crap once you've had retina.
A retina display actually can be a huge disadvantage from an engineering and cost standpoint, since it spirals quickly into a major headache. A retina display, beyond the major expense of the panel itself, needs a much more powerful backlight and a beefier GPU, needing a bigger battery, which is bigger and heavier. No doubt it'd be a huge plus to have in the mini, but what you'd have to give up in return really makes for a less appealing product.

The only realistic option would be to match the Nexus resolution, which then makes the iPad mini a very different product and dings application compatibility. There's really little sense in doing that for what amounts to a fairly negligible difference overall. 50ppi is noticeable but hardly tragic, especially since the iPad's display is better in every other way.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
Very nice-looking tablet, but frankly, I would only buy if I was a granma. It's very good for browsing and facebooking, but that's almost all it can offer.

Please, Apple, bring us iDevices that allow me creating content instead of only allowing content consuming.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
My favorite review comes from the Loop Insight:

"If you want to save $50 and buy a cheap-ass tablet, go ahead. If you want quality the iPad mini will be waiting for you when you come to your senses."

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
Here, let me clarify what he meant. He meant the reviews are biased, which they are a little. The meaning of biased can be found by typing "Define: biased" in google.

Right and when they reviewed the Nexus 7 and soon the Nexus 10, and the MS Surface, which many of them gave pretty high praises too. I guess they were bias then too.

You people need to crawl back under your rocks!

blimey48

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2011
Yeah, except they didn't, really. Managing to sell a product at or below its cost isn't really a feat of business or engineering mastery. If they had managed to cover all costs and turn a profit and deliver that same hardware for the same price, that would be something else entirely.

Sure, and Google could sell the Nexus 7 for $7 if they wanted to. It's not really about that.

These are big companies with different business models and product profiles, making complex decisions. I don't think either will be unsuccessful.

Seems like they did. Everything about the iPad mini is an improvement on the iPad 2, which still scores well inside the pack. You're getting an equal or better product in every way for $329 for something that a year and a half ago cost $499. There's plenty that's appealing about that.

A retina display actually can be a huge disadvantage from an engineering and cost standpoint, since it spirals quickly into a major headache. A retina display, beyond the major expense of the panel itself, needs a much more powerful backlight and a beefier GPU, needing a bigger battery, which is bigger and heavier. No doubt it'd be a huge plus to have in the mini, but what you'd have to give up in return really makes for a less appealing product.

The only realistic option would be to match the Nexus resolution, which then makes the iPad mini a very different product and dings application compatibility. There's really little sense in doing that for what amounts to a fairly negligible difference overall. 50ppi is noticeable but hardly tragic, especially since the iPad's display is better in every other way.

omg....your logic is making so much sense my brain hurts :D

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Stoked for mine to show up Friday. Got the cover today and love the size. No regrets at all even if it is updated in the spring.

Maybe you'll have no regrets if it gets updated this spring because you'll be ordering the new retina mini.:D

I'm curious what would happen if 3/4 of iPad sales in the next 6-12 months were of the mini? Would Apple discontinue the larger iPad, maybe after the iPad 5 and maybe begin work on a larger than 9.7" iPad, between 11 and 13"? Would there be room for an iPad that's only 1.8" larger, even if they reduce the weight? There seems to be a consensus based on the reviews that the mini is more usable than the regular iPad and doesn't feel like a compromise.

bitsoda

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2011
Seems like a decent product. But simply just overpriced. Even more now that you can get a 32GB Nexus 7 for $249. I know some people prefer iOS, but damn paying $80 more and for half the storage. The only thing you gain is a rear camera.

To each his own I suppose.

Ok...

1c4218bb_original.jpeg

Why are you comparing the Nexus 7 to the iPad mini? The iPad mini is $80 more, but you know what? It also has a way larger screen, is thinner, lighter, and has better battery life. Android's tablet app ecosystem is nonexistent. Furthermore, those software buttons in landscape mode are an incredibly stupid decision. You have barely any vertical screen space. If you really think the Nexus 7 is a better tablet penny for penny then you deserve to own a Nexus 7.

Last edited:

Macclone

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
Wow some biased reviews. I guess some don't want to be band from Apple events or want Apple to mention them in the key note. Point blank its a nicer design but specs wise and no retina is a rip off.

And you used one for how long before you wrote this? That's what I thought. Oh, a band plays music, but trolls should be banned.

tido2012

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2010
I could understand your point but for those of us that work in the medical field, it's not very convenient to carry around a macbook pro, although some doctors do bring one with them. I'm able to access our hospital EMR via citrix on my iPad. While I never thought I would actually use my iPad this much for work, it's a lot easier to bring my iPad and pull up all the info I need instead of having to wait for a computer to open up, while it's not very common that I have to do this, it is annoying enough the few times that it does happen. Anyways, just my 2 cents.
As for trading my macbook pro retina in for an iMac....maybe someday, just really like the retina screen and quality soo far. And it's nice to be able to carry my laptop over to the living room and work on charts if I don't want to sit at my desk and do them.
I can't justify owning (any) iPad again, unless I get rid of my MBP. Having a laptop, an iPad, and an iPhone is just overkill in my opinion. They're all mobile devices, and one of them will inevitably be extraneous. The iPhone is super-portable, the MBP is super-powerful. The iPad is a compromise on both fronts, so it got sold.

That said, I'd buy an iPad if I ever ditched my MBP for an iMac. I could see it making a semi-suitable substitute in that case.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
HAHA this is hilarious. The anti-Apple zealots in the discussions on all of these sites are FUMING that the iPad mini has received positive reviews from pretty much every review.

Nah what's funnier is all the people that crapped all over other products for not having retina and for not using the latest and greatest CPU and for not having xx amount of memory; you used to read comments like "I will never buy anything without retina", "unless it has an A6 its not powerful enough", "you need at least 1 GB of ram" (I am paraphrasing of course) and now suddenly posting comments like, "you do not need retina in a 7 inch tablet", "1xx PPI is enough", "the mini CPU is enough, the CPU in the iPad 4 is overkill", etc etc etc.

liavman

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
"A Retina Display and a lower price would have made the iPad Mini perfect."

Yeah right! People in hell can ask for ice water but they are not going to get it. But at least in the case of the Mini, may be they will reach that impossible target in two years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.