Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
I think people give Steve Jobs too much credit. He managed to take the company where it was because he hired the right talent to help him do it. On his own, Apple would still be stuck in a garage somewhere near Berkeley.

QFT if you don't mind.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
For me the one thing Steve did better than anyone else was being able to make you want something you didn't think you needed. No one at Apple right now can really sell their products they way Steve could. Jony Ive comes the closest but he doesn't do keynotes.

If you read Walter Isaacson's book it's clear Steve got/took credit for things that came from someone else. The impression left out there is that Steve was the one dreaming up all these products when clearly that wasn't the case.

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 26, 2003
California
The troubling trend continues:

Browett hired by Tim - anyone could look at Dixon's poor service and wonder what he was thinking - Browett fired.

iPad mini released late October - syncing requires iTunes 11 - iTunes 11 release delayed until late November

Still no China Mobile deal

Still no "Pandora" like music service

Apple tv ???

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
The difference between 2013 and 2007 is that the entire industry has almost caught up to Apple in terms of smartphones & tablets. There is no more breathing space. I wouldn't be surprised if that forces Apple to iterate the iPhone & iPad 2x a year.

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 26, 2003
California
Another issue, is Tim not thinking at all??

Apple decided to grant dividends - a no brainer given that the cash balance was becoming a liability "risk" to manage and so far exceeded any possible needs for business purposes. Start returning the $$ to the investors - got it.

This last fiscal quarter Apple announced another small dividend ($2.65/share on a stock price around $600) - a paltry 1.7%.

That same quarter Apple put another $6,000,000,000 into their cash balance net of another dividend. Their cash balance is growing waaaaaaay beyond the dividend payments.

Their will be a stock repurchase as well - but the investors deserve a larger portion of that cash balance.

Last edited:

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 26, 2003
California
I really believe that Tim Cook is unraveling, over his head, and "cooked".

Firing Browett was a good move, but Tim hired him.

Forstall needed to go, was announced, but is still on site :confused: :confused:

The iPhone 5 is still 3 - 4 weeks out for new orders - Foxconn stated that is the most difficult thing they have ever had to assemble. Far better integration with manufacturing engineering was needed. It is clear to me as to why the China Mobile deal has not happened - Apple can't build them in adequate numbers.

Why no iMacs shipping yet - half the holiday sales quarter is over with. This may result in a lower than expected revenue result and another stock price hit. Friction stick welding for screen lamination - not working well - low yield. Tim's "expertise" is supply chain management. Who validated that this technique was viable for the new iMacs?

Maps, iTunes 11 - IMO Tim is squandering the innovative trajectory Steve entrusted to him - he is failing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.