Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
I'm pretty sure it's something we'll see in a redesigned iPad 5 next fall. Jony Ive probably feels that a dramatically thinner display warrants a rethinking of the enclosure and not another tweak to the existing enclosure (like the thicker iPad 3 and 4 vs iPad 2).

Besides, the iPad 5 will probably borrow some design cues from the iPad mini, such as the chamfered edge, anodized back, speaker grille, and ultra-thin profile.
Exactly. In my situation, for a "vanity" product with no real productive use, iPad 5 will be worth the wait. ;)

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Sell it on craigslist and buy a new one

Or deal with it

Heh. I'm dealing with it. Not a big deal, however, if I had known that the iPad 3 would be replaced by the iPad 4 in just 7 months (and not by an incremental update, but by a processor that's twice as fast!), I would have waited.

Last edited:

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
can't wait, best thing I like about the iPhone 5 is how fast the thing is and how apps and all programs load almost instantly, that's something I'm looking forward to experiencing on friday with the ipad also

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I was all set to get a Mini iPad for Christmas, but a combo of it's higher than expected price and the speed increase of it's big brother, not to mention it's retina display I'd gladly pay the extra, even if it was for the 16Gb WiFi model, to get my foot in the iPad door.

Surreal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2004
Does anyone else think the "iPad 3 to 4" upgrade is the same as the "iPhone 4 to 4S" upgrade?

Didn't the 4S only get a better processor and camera? I might be remembering wrong. (BTW, I'm talking about hardware, not software.)

Almost every single thing in the 4S was updated. Seriously. They didn't change the case but they made everything better. In other words, 'Yes this is like that time when they updated everything without changing the outward appearance'.

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land

joelvega125

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
You shouldn't feel compelled at all to upgrade. I am glad you aren't. THe iPad3 is a great piece of hardware and there is no reason to move from it to the new iPad refresh.

I've said that since the keynote....The only reason I sold mine was for the mini...Small, portable, and I know ill use it much more..:D

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I'm on the fence about this one.

I find my iPad 3 to be slow with iBooks (particularly ones with audio) and other apps (like DJ, iPhoto, SnapSeed, etc). However, I did not plan on purchasing another iPad this year.

My iPhone 5 with its A6 performs much better when using those apps (apps are more responsive, they launch faster, iBooks doesn't slow to a crawl, etc).

It's a tough call for a serious iPad user that would actually see a benefit from the A6X processor, but I feel like they're sticking it to me.

Then again, my iPad is now my primary computing device.

iBooks is slow as hell for books that have a lot of highlights and annotations on my iPad 3. When I updated to iOS 6 it also decided to wipe out my whole book library - luckily I sync'ed with iTunes before so I could get back my books.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Meh, a blah update that will probably be anther 7 months old, until they debut ipad 5 in May.

I think my next iPad will be the retina mini, coming in January or something

dashtekahe

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2011
I want to buy iPad 4 and it will be my first tablet. I cant wait to buy it but it seems I cant buy it until late November or maybe early December :(

Mr. Gates

macrumors 68020
I just got paid $6784 working off my laptop this month. And if you think that's cool, my divorced friend has twin toddlers and made over $9k her first month. It feels so good making so much money when other people have to work for so much less. This is what I do, B u ck6 d o t c o m

Really ! Whats your name friend ? I want to learn more ! DO you have a phone number I can call to get some more info !?

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Lovely. My "new iPad" lasted all of 7 months. Is that the shortest product life cycle ever for an Apple product? (Of course, it still works fine, and I will continue to use it. It's just never a nice feeling knowing your product got superseded by the new model -- twice as fast even -- while yours isn't even out of warranty yet. Oh well...)

Welcome to the brave new high-tech world; It's a dog-eat-dog world out there. Glad you're taking it with a sense of humor, unlike some others on here. :)

Undecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2005
California
Does anyone else think the "iPad 3 to 4" upgrade is the same as the "iPhone 4 to 4S" upgrade?

Didn't the 4S only get a better processor and camera? I might be remembering wrong. (BTW, I'm talking about hardware, not software.)

And more storage - the 4S went to 64. And I think the max 3g speed was much higher (theoretically, of course). Oh, and Bluetooth 4.0 (And the crowd went wild! yay....)

Last edited:

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
If apple did upgrades on a few items, including the front facing camera, ie for webcam/facetime/skype... Why didn't they upgrade the rear facing camera, which is same type as apple uses in iphone 4S.

It would have at least been as nice to get same camera as iphone 5.

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Ok. I can understand someone being unhappy about this spec bump if they recently (last month or so) purchased an iPad 3. This update took most of us by surprise.

I bought my iPad 3 in April, so the iPad 4 doesn't faze me at all. I will happily use my iPad 3 for about two years and then upgrade. Technology moves quickly, and chasing the latest and greatest will drive you nuts.

Actually, if this becomes a regular cycle for the iPad, I kind of like the idea of design updates in Spring and spec updates in Fall. It would allow me to update when my device is either 1.5, 2, or 2.5 yrs old. I won't have to wait as long for the next upgrade opportunity.

Of course, there is no telling if Apple will follow this update cycle.

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
I was worried about the screen, but is not a big deal is seems. Is a new screen with new text, but at low pixel density.

techkidd4400

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2007
Ok. I can understand someone being unhappy about this spec bump if they recently (last month or so) purchased an iPad 3. This update took most of us by surprise.

I bought my iPad 3 in April, so the iPad 4 doesn't faze me at all. I will happily use my iPad 3 for about two years and then upgrade. Technology moves quickly, and chasing the latest and greatest will drive you nuts.

Actually, if this becomes a regular cycle for the iPad, I kind of like the idea of design updates in Spring and spec updates in Fall. It would allow me to update when my device is either 1.5, 2, or 2.5 yrs old. I won't have to wait as long for the next upgrade opportunity.

Of course, there is no telling if Apple will follow this update cycle.

Upgrade cycle? You sound a little naive. Apple "upgrades" it's devices when it wants. Do you really believe that the iPad 4 has tech that could not have been included in the iPad 3? I am not buying an iPad 4, but I am glad Apple is trying to keep its tablet competitive by offering upgrades whenever it needs to. The only cost to this may be a few lost sales to rabid fans and early adopters who can't keep up.

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Upgrade cycle? You sound a little naive. Apple "upgrades" it's devices when it wants. Do you really believe that the iPad 4 has tech that could not have been included in the iPad 3? I am not buying an iPad 4, but I am glad Apple is trying to keep its tablet competitive by offering upgrades whenever it needs to. The only cost to this may be a few lost sales to rabid fans and early adopters who can't keep up.

Wow! I guess I am naive, and it sounds like you have in depth knowledge of Apples supply chain for various components, including when they had access to the A6X chip. You know for a fact that these upgrades were available to Apple in April, and they just decided not to deploy them until Fall.

Please let us all know your source for this highly confidential business information.

benspratling

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2006
New iPad finally catches up to iPad 2

It's a strange title, but the truth is that when you have 4 times as much stuff to draw and your processor is the same speed, your drawing speed sucks. iPad 1 had a slow processor relative to what the display could allow you to do. iPad 2 caught up. iPad 3 may have had 4x the graphics chip performance, but things like text rendering are done in the main processor, not in the graphics chip. Sure it can do movie playback better, even animations better, but for lots of info changing on screen quickly that's not already in a hardware optimized format, the iPad 3 actually completes screen rendering noticeably slower than an iPad 2. Furthermore, many image processing algorithms are not linear in the number of pixels, so having 4x the GPU for 4x the pixels is actually down on the curve when your algorithm now taxes 16x as long. But who wants to ditch that gorgeous retina display?! So I'm hoping with double the CPU performance in the 4, Apple will again be at par between processor capability and screen capability. Ditto other comments about heat dissipation and weight. Wish that mini was gonna be retina...

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
I was surprised today so see how functional my 1st gen iPad was.

I can't imagine upgrading to this beast of a mother...

iPad 2 was like 7x as iPad 1
iPad 3 was like 2x as fast as iPad 2
and now the iPad 4 is like 2x faster than the iPad 3...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.