Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

larryinfl

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2007
The new maps are working out pretty good for me. I'm enjoying the much faster loading vector maps and I've been able to find things easily, just like with the old Maps.

cutmoney

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2009
I really don't know what the fuss is all about. I love the new Maps app, I haven't noticed a problem yet. As a long time TomTom user, I can tell you that Apple's Maps app is MUCH better. Better POIs, better graphics, better UI, and MUCH better iOS integration. All together, I think a phenomenal app!

D-Dave

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2010
Well, if they would let me pick a different maps app to be used my third party apps (like runtastic) I would be a happy camper...a boy can have a wishlist for santa, right? ;-)

To avoid misunderstanding...maps is, well, sort of ok (which is pretty sub par for apple) but it has NONE of the small paths and cubble roads that make up my usual running tracks...that leads to very strange results (jumping back and forth between locations and the likes)

Beltane63

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2012
Hamburg, Germany
My main problem is: the iPhone I bought last year was another iPhone :(

Yesterday I took a closer look and corrected some POIs - In my sourroundings I had to correct about 30 POIs!

I am very dissapointed and not shure if I can live with this phone anymore :(
The maps are to unreliable in my area.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Five years ago the android phones and Google android map apps did not even exist when the first iPhone came out.:eek:

Google mobile map apps date back SEVEN years, to 2005, with Google Local for Mobile for any Java enabled handset. It had road and satellite images, GPS support, directions, local search and results dialing. Traffic was later added in 2006 when the name was changed to Google Maps for Mobile.

2005nov_google_local_mobile.png

As I remember, Apple was nice enough to LET Google release their map app and test it on Apple's IOS platform a few months before your Android was released. That is why Schmidt was thrown off the board.

None of that is correct.

First, see above. Google Maps came out long before the iPhone.

Also, according to the latest insider news, Jobs didn't even consider having maps on the iPhone until three weeks before its debut. Fortunately, Google Maps Mobile had been around for a while by then, and Apple was able to come up with a nice touch based version for Jobs to show off, after quickly getting a license from Google (no doubt with Schmidt's essential help).

So yeah, I guess I would use the latest and greatest five years ago(2007). Everybody is using maps tested from the first map apps on the iPhone. Thank Apple for that.

That's totally backwards. Moreover, Apple can thank all the Google Map users with GPS who came before the iPhone. Without those non-Apple smartphones automatically mapping cells, the first iPhone... cheaply designed without GPS... would not have had usable cell id location services.

gnipgnop

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2009
Do I really need to explain this to you ? Gruber linked to it because people were discussing it. He tried to discredit it and that was his only reason to link to it in the first place. He wasn't the first one to link to it and he's not objective.

Now if you really want to discuss it, I suggest the iOS 6 forum where we already have a multi page discussion on that in the "Maps are a disaster!" thread.

The list of Ontario "cities/towns" used to criticize iOS Maps is obviously flawed. For example, the list contains over 2000+ names, and iOS Maps is credited with an exact match for about 400 of those. If you do a Google search for cities in Ontario, the first result on the search gives you a link to a list of about 100 "cities/towns" in Ontario that have a population of 10,000 or more...which means that there are supposedly another 1900 "cities/towns" in Ontario with populations lower than 10,000? It should be obvious that's not possible, and when you start checking the names on the list, it's immediately apparent that the list includes community names within townships. In other words, it's the equivalent of counting New York City and Harlem as separate cities/towns.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
The list of Ontario "cities/towns" used to criticize iOS Maps is obviously flawed. [...] If you do a Google search for cities in Ontario, the first result [...]

What part of "discussion in the iOS 6 forum thread" didn't you get ? I replied to you there, now you're coming here to try again with that argument.

The list used is not flawed, it comes from the Ontario Ministry of Transport. If those guys have a "flawed" list, then there's a very big problem.

gnipgnop

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2009
The list used is not flawed, it comes from the Ontario Ministry of Transport. If those guys have a "flawed" list, then there's a very big problem.

Did you ever follow the link to the Ontario Ministry of Transport that was provided on the mtonic.com site ? It specifically says in bold lettering: "Alphabetical listing of cities, towns, villages, and communities". So what I've been saying is exactly right: the list was misrepresented by mtonic.com as "cities/towns", when in reality it also includes community names within towns/cities and rural areas. That skews the percentage of what's "wrong" with iOS 6 Maps in a big way. It's likely that iOS 6 Maps actually has all of the actual cities/towns in Ontario and is only "missing" community and rural area names.

Last edited:

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Did you ever follow the link to the Ontario Ministry of Transport that was provided on the mtonic.com site ? It specifically says in bold lettering: "Alphabetical listing of cities, towns, villages, and communities". So what I've been saying is exactly right: the list was misrepresented by mtonic.com as "cities/towns".

Yes, I did read the MTO site, the original article, the Gruber posted rebuttal, etc.. Villages and communities count and are found on maps. Like about 3 dozen people in the other thread told you : stop splitting hairs.

I'm not posting about this anymore. Do you have anything new to say about it, not your recycled hair splitting ? If you do, head over to the thread where this is already being discussed. I hate going in circles.

gnipgnop

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2009
Yes, I did read the MTO site, the original article, the Gruber posted rebuttal, etc.. Villages and communities count and are found on maps. Like about 3 dozen people in the other thread told you : stop splitting hairs.

I'm not posting about this anymore. Do you have anything new to say about it, not your recycled hair splitting ? If you do, head over to the thread where this is already being discussed. I hate going in circles.

You can't claim I'm "splitting hairs" when my original post in this thread was that the complaints about iOS 6 Maps were overblown, and your response was in regards to "missing cities in Ontario" and then the mtonic.com link. Missing "cities" sounds like a major oversight. Missing "community names within cities" or "missing rural villages" doesn't sound so major.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
You can't claim I'm "splitting hairs" when my original post in this thread was that the complaints about iOS 6 Maps were overblown, and your response was in regards to "missing cities in Ontario" and then the mtonic.com link. Missing "cities" sounds like a major oversight. Missing "community names within cities" or "missing rural villages" doesn't sound so major.

Give it up bro - like arguing with a brick wall. Let the people complain, nothing you say will change it. Believe me, I've stopped visiting these forums because all we ever see is complaints about the maps app.

For a majority of people the maps work just fine. But of course the complainers are always the loudest - I suggest being happy with your purchase and let the others be mad and upset. It's a much easier way to live ;)

psg2000

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2008
UK
I had the misfortune yesterday to use the map application here in the UK.

Typed in the full postcode M21 9AQ, led me a mile away. somehow it shortens the postcode to M21 9A and took me to a place called Chorlton Green rather than Chorton Place.

Sorted using google maps

#fail

djphat2000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2012
The crappy old app you lament was coded by Apple. It is an Apple product. Google did not make the old app. Apple made the non-updated-since-it-came-out product you seem to dislike.

And now Apple's new app sucks worse than Apple's old app.

It was powered by GOOGLE. Apple wanted turn by turn. Google didn't want to give to to them without more control over the application (having the name GOOGLE MAPS instead of just Maps was one). Apple didn't want to give them any ground apparently, so we never got anything more then that. Google could have made a better application, they didn't. They were already the default search engine for the iPhones, and the default mapping application. They didn't agree on what to give in order to get. Apple said "we can do this ourselves", and did.

Just because you think it sucks, doesn't make it so. I'm pretty happy with the Apple Map in iOS6. Not cause I am a fanboy or whatever slang is used these days. But because its better then the old maps.

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
You like plastic over metal, no problem. But metal imitation on Android phones? Come on.

Also 720p is no the issue in small devices, its pixel density and Apple is winning there since 2010.

iPhone 5 is the cheapest iPhone apple has ever produced at a parts cost of $180. Timmy is cutting corners everywhere and it's showing everywhere. The people who talk about Apple highest quality are dinosaurs living in the past.

The cheap aluminum case and flimsy build of the 5 actually does feel like crap compared to any comparably priced android phone. And every high-end android phone gives you true 720p, not apple's low-res garbage.

Not only is apple no longer highest quality, Timmy is doing everything he can to win the race to the bottom. I wish the fanatics here would actually spend 30 minutes with a competing product and an open mind. This forum should be interesting though in a year when Apple is choking on everyone else's dust.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
You like plastic over metal, no problem. But metal imitation on Android phones? Come on.

Also 720p is no the issue in small devices, its pixel density and Apple is winning there since 2010.

But wait, everyone on the iPad mini forums are saying pixel density doesn't matter anymore.....and 720p is not important on small devices....

Oracle1729

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2009
But wait, everyone on the iPad mini forums are saying pixel density doesn't matter anymore.....and 720p is not important on small devices....

Fanatics will never let facts stand in the way of what they want to believe. It's scary how much hypocrisy the human mind is capable of.

All they have to do is accept that Apple is a for profit company that makes some decent products but it's not a religion and every apple product doesn't have to be better than every non-apple product in every way (which is as impossible as most religious myth).

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Fanatics will never let facts stand in the way of what they want to believe. It's scary how much hypocrisy the human mind is capable of.

All they have to do is accept that Apple is a for profit company that makes some decent products but it's not a religion and every apple product doesn't have to be better than every non-apple product in every way (which is as impossible as most religious myth).

LOL true, but you see this everywhere right? Ford vs Chevy trucks (we all know Chevy is better right?) BMW motorcycles vs any other, Harley vs any other, Mets vs Yankees lol...okay that's a stretch, how about Jet's vs Dolphins? So Google vs Apple, it's all rose colored glasses, people have a hard time seeing through them to reality.

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
I was talking about phones, not tablet. In that time the iPad mini wasn't even released.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.