Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Do you think that Apple just seems to be flooding the market with as many products as possible? I understand that keeping the last-gen makes a more affordable version of a product, but there is some places where there is no need.

iPhone 4: Really has no place. May as well make an 8GB 4S and sell it instead, such is the small difference.

iPad 2: With the launch of the mini, that replaces it as the affordable iPad. I don't think you need to differentiate more.

MacBook Pro (without retina): This just makes the notebook line too confusing. If you want a cheaper one, get a MBA. If you want a 'Pro' one, get a MBP with retina.

iPod touch (4th gen): Really has no place, does it? Who'd buy almost three year old tech now?

And to a lesser extent:

iPod classic: Kill this thing or give it a nice new design.

Mac Pro: As above.

A much lesser extent:

iPod nano: Where does it slot in to the whole iOS lineup, even only as a pseudo-iOS product? It offers no advantages over the iPod touch other than size, and is no better than music than a shuffle.

I really think that all these products do make it more confusing to your average buyer. Do they get the retina iPad? Or a smaller one? Or a bigger one, but with a worse screen? Oh wait, the camera on the smaller one is better too!
This is almost pre-2000s, where there were just too many products. What do you think?

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Do you think that Apple just seems to be flooding the market with as many products as possible? I understand that keeping the last-gen makes a more affordable version of a product, but there is some places where there is no need.

iPhone 4: Really has no place. May as well make an 8GB 4S and sell it instead, such is the small difference.

iPad 2: With the launch of the mini, that replaces it as the affordable iPad. I don't think you need to differentiate more.

MacBook Pro (without retina): This just makes the notebook line too confusing. If you want a cheaper one, get a MBA. If you want a 'Pro' one, get a MBP with retina.

iPod touch (4th gen): Really has no place, does it? Who'd buy almost three year old tech now?

And to a lesser extent:

A much lesser extent:

iPod nano: Where does it slot in to the whole iOS lineup, even only as a pseudo-iOS product? It offers no advantages over the iPod touch other than size, and is no better than music than a shuffle.

I really think that all these products do make it more confusing to your average buyer. Do they get the retina iPad? Or a smaller one? Or a bigger one, but with a worse screen? Oh wait, the camera on the smaller one is better too!
This is almost pre-2000s, where there were just too many products. What do you think?

I thought it was magical and a revolution, insanely great??

I don't find the lines confusing at all..

Rest of it is meh

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I find it funny that people will complain if they don't have enough choices, or if they have to many choices.

It is a no win situation.

Not being mean or trying to be a prick... just making an observation.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota

Apple has done this for a long time. Free - 2 generations old, Cheap - generation old, Expensive - Newest. And it works just fine.

This might make sense, perhaps Apple is clearing out stock.

This will happen with the next update. Or when Windows machines start coming out with retina displays. Apple is milking profits from being an exclusive seller to the display technology.

Agreed.

And to a lesser extent:

Kill the iPod classic? Give it a new design? No.

Agreed. It is going to get updated this winter from Tim Cook himself, however. I am excited to see what happens.

A much lesser extent:

It looks cool, is much cheaper than a touch, more expensive than a shuffle and has a screen. It's a mid-tier iPod product. Just like the Nano it replaced. And just like the Nano that was replaced before than. That's what the iPod Nano is.

Apple has slowly come out with a new product every two years or so, and it's fine. Not like the pre-2000s where they came out with 8 different models of different products and came out with new, random products every 6 months to a year.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
I agree. They need to have a massive cut-down and streamlining of products like they did around the turn of the century. At the time Apple's product line was big and confusing, so Steve came up with a 'four box' design, which could still be used today: One pro laptop (rMBP), one consumer laptop (MBA). One pro desktop (iMac), one consumer desktop (Mac Mini). Same for the iDevices: One top of the line iPhone (iPhone 5), one affordable iPhone (4S). One top of the line tablet (iPad 4), one affordable tablet (iPad Mini). Boom, there ya go :)

Gnomepatrol

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2011
Metro East Area
Apple: Too many products?

I was wondering if I was the only one who felt that Apple has way too many products? Historically Apple had a few products, now they just seem all over the place.

Macbook Air
Macbook Pro
Macbook Retina
Mac Mini
Imac
Mac Pro
iPod Shuffle
iPod Nano
iPod Touch
iPod Classic
Apple TV
iPhone (4/4s/5)
iPad
iPad Mini

I am no expert, but I think it would benefit them to trim their lines a bit. Maybe consolidate the Macbook Pros and Airs and offer just the Retinas. Then lose the iPod shuffle, touch, and classic. Lastly get rid of Apple TV. That would leave the line as

Macbook Pro Retina
Mac Mini
Imac
Mac Pro
iPod Nano
iPhone
iPad Mini
Ipad

Keeps all segments, but trims down the line. Which may allow them to more competitively pice their products versus competitors while not cannibalizing their own lines.

What do you guys think? Do they have too many products or do you appreciate the amount of choice? This was just a thought I had when trying to figure out why they would price the iPad mini at 329.99.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I wouldn't cut the line back to that extent. The Air is a very, very nice laptop and I couldn't see Apple axing it. The shuffle is also nice for runners.

I can see getting rid of the touch, but don't see the reasoning behind the :apple:TV? It's a great bit of kit.

Last edited by a moderator:

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I also think with the retina line, this is a transition and I have a feeling within the next few years all the other lines of the laptops will disappear and be back to the Pro and Air only. They will all be retina.

I also think we are going to see the iPods slowly taper off also.

With the iPad and iPhones I think they will keep at least three going all the time to give everyone a choice and different price points.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I agree. They need to have a massive cut-down and streamlining of products like they did around the turn of the century. At the time Apple's product line was big and confusing, so Steve came up with a 'four box' design, which could still be used today: One pro laptop (rMBP), one consumer laptop (MBA). One pro desktop (iMac), one consumer desktop (Mac Mini). Same for the iDevices: One top of the line iPhone (iPhone 5), one affordable iPhone (4S). One top of the line tablet (iPad 4), one affordable tablet (iPad Mini). Boom, there ya go :)

Welcome to Apple circa 2012. Boom there you are.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
I was wondering if I was the only one who felt that Apple has way too many products? Historically Apple had a few products, now they just seem all over the place.

Macbook Air
Macbook Pro
Macbook Retina
Mac Mini
Imac
Mac Pro
iPod Shuffle
iPod Nano
iPod Touch
iPod Classic
Apple TV
iPhone (4/4s/5)
iPad
iPad Mini

I am no expert, but I think it would benefit them to trim their lines a bit. Maybe consolidate the Macbook Pros and Airs and offer just the Retinas. Then lose the iPod shuffle, touch, and classic. Lastly get rid of Apple TV. That would leave the line as

Macbook Pro Retina
Mac Mini
Imac
Mac Pro
iPod Nano
iPhone
iPad Mini
Ipad

Keeps all segments, but trims down the line. Which may allow them to more competitively pice their products versus competitors while not cannibalizing their own lines.

What do you guys think? Do they have too many products or do you appreciate the amount of choice? This was just a thought I had when trying to figure out why they would price the iPad mini at 329.99.

Hey hey, don't be too hasty ;) Merging the MBP and MBA is not a good idea, as they are too separate as computers. Five years down the track? Maybe. But certainly not now. And they ain't going to can the touch either, seeing as it's just been updated and it sells very well.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
Nothing wrong in monetizing on older, read cheaper, products, as long as there are customers left ready to buy them. The best practice would be to fade them out slowly.
Apple has expanded in time, so it's quite natural to see more products in their lines.

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
Yeah I think they need to get rid of the iPad 2, and things like that.

But then again, are they making revenue on the products? If so, keep churning em' out. And I suspect that is the criteria which actually determines what they axe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.