Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DennisMadsen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
Currently I'm using PS3 Media Server on my iMac to stream mkv-files (720p and 1080p) from a network HDD to my TV through a Playstation 3.

Could I use the new announced Apple TV with 1080p to play my mkv-files from the network HDD?

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
Not until it gets jailbroken with a working build of XBMC/Plex etc. Apple only supports h264 and AAC/AC3 in MP4.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Currently I'm using PS3 Media Server on my iMac to stream mkv-files (720p and 1080p) from a network HDD to my TV through a Playstation 3.

Could I use the new announced Apple TV with 1080p to play my mkv-files from the network HDD?

APple tv won;t support MKVs you need to wait to be jailbroken

Dorfdad

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
APple tv won;t support MKVs you need to wait to be jailbroken

Easiest way is to install Plex media server on your system and buy the plex app on the iOS and than stream from your iphone/ipad/itouch the plex client to the apple TV.

Sound confusing and uses two devices to get the job done but it's seamless and smooth

DennisMadsen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
Easiest way is to install Plex media server on your system and buy the plex app on the iOS and than stream from your iphone/ipad/itouch the plex client to the apple TV.

Sound confusing and uses two devices to get the job done but it's seamless and smooth

Would that allow me to stream 720p and 1080p to my TV?

mikepro

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010

And has no surround sound if you do it this way. :mad:

Dorfdad

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
Would that allow me to stream 720p and 1080p to my TV?

Yes and for the surround sound Im not 100% I think I get it.. If not it's not a big deal to me as a casual user.
Firecore does however support it with 5.1 problem for me is I just bought 2 new 1080p Apple Tv's so jailbreaking it might not be available for some time.

Last edited:

ciberpuppi

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2012
Dorfdad,

I've used the first-generation ATVs for years, but like you, I've been unable to stream mkvs. Before buying the new ATV, I've asked around (actually, on these boards) and it seems there's a way to "convert" the mkvs to m4vs easily and then stream them on the new ATV.

There is a free program called Subler. Once downloaded, you can drag the mkv into and it will convert it to an H264 format as an m4v. From there, you can MetaX and drag it into iTunes as usual and then stream it from the new ATV.

Unfortunately, I've only been able to do this in theory, as I've yet to obtain the new ATV and as I've said, this wil NOT work in the first generation ones.

Why not make a COPY of one of your mkvs this way, drag it into iTunes and see if the new ATV will in fact, stream the new file? I suspect many of us are dying to see if this will work. If so, then there is no need to jailbreak anything.

C-Pup

dotcomet

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2011
Yea, you can also use Handbrake to convert .mkv to .m4v. after that just drag to your iTunes library and stream to ATV.

OmegaRed1723

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009
The Waste
Yea, you can also use Handbrake to convert .mkv to .m4v. after that just drag to your iTunes library and stream to ATV.

As long as the original .mkv was encoded with the h.264 codec, it's much quicker to use Subler to remux than it is to use Hanbrake to re-encode. If you use Handbrake you will also be encoding a source file that has already been encoded once, thereby degrading quality. It's like photocopying a photocopy, not the original. Every time you do it, the output gets a little bit worse.

dotcomet

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2011
As long as the original .mkv was encoded with the h.264 codec, it's much quicker to use Subler to remux than it is to use Hanbrake to re-encode. If you use Handbrake you will also be encoding a source file that has already been encoded once, thereby degrading quality. It's like photocopying a photocopy, not the original. Every time you do it, the output gets a little bit worse.

Thanks for the info. I will try that.

AppleHater

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010

I like the concept but it looks it transcode the movie. Is there a way to just play mkv and stream it to ios/ATV?

chiefpavvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2008
I like the concept but it looks it transcode the movie. Is there a way to just play mkv and stream it to ios/ATV?

Without being jailbroken and using an alternate media player, no. Not possible.

Otherwise it can be done with software like Beamer or AirParrot. No conversion required and you can AirPlay it right out.

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
There is no jailbreak right now for the Apple TV 3. When there is, you could install either Firecore's ATV Flash, or XBMC, or Plex - in order to access mkv's on your ext HDD. Or, you install all three. : )

Mr.Bullitt

macrumors regular
May 15, 2009
Is anyone using the Apple TV with PS3 media server? I am a bit new to this, but seems like you can configure PS3 Media Server to output for different playback devices, even Xbox now and Oppo players :-D

JMEANS

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2012
YESS! I have been trying to do this as described above because I do not want to compromise the size or quality just change the container to play in ATV as well. However whenever I try to remix the MKV in SUBLER I get a RED STOP SIGN?! I have tried 3 MKV files that I have downloaded and no success in SUBLER. They look fantastic watching with VLC but really want a m4v copy for ATV. Why am I getting the stop sign ? Thanks

JMEANS

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2012
Thank you for the recommendation, I have heard of IVI and so far I have tried SUBLER = red stop sign, MP4Tools = long conversion process w/audio sync issues?! So it's getting frustrating to say the least... All I want to do here is take a great quality MKV sized anywhere between 3-6gigs remux container to work in iTunes. Almost at my wits end lol

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Thank you for the recommendation, I have heard of IVI and so far I have tried SUBLER = red stop sign, MP4Tools = long conversion process w/audio sync issues?! So it's getting frustrating to say the least... All I want to do here is take a great quality MKV sized anywhere between 3-6gigs remux container to work in iTunes. Almost at my wits end lol
Have you verified that your mkv contain the h.264 codec, using something like Media Inspector?

JMEANS

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2012
No and thanks for replying on both threads with my question and Sorry too!

but if they are h.264 would there be another reason? Just curious

Now if they aren't would iVI be a good alternative? I tried MP4Tools and it took forever and I noticed audio sync issues : (
Thanks in advance for any additional suggestions - JIM

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.