Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
It happens all the time and I find it extremely annoying :mad: I'm not even running or exercising (the radio they're playing at my local gym is so loud that I've given up trying to compete with it), I'm just walking to work and these things keep falling out of my ears. I'm using the previous version of the Apple ear phones (attached).

I've also tried the ear phones that came with my Nexus. They have these soft bits on them and when I push them into my ear they stay in place, but then my ears feel completely blocked and it's very uncomfortable.

Do I need to buy the type that sits on my head for them to stay in place? What are others using??

Attachments

• EAR PLUGS.jpg
    EAR PLUGS.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 492
Last edited:

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2011
I would look into the ones that wrap around your ears. I used to own a par way back and loved them. The most important part to think about though is the material. If they are too hard, they start to irritate the backs of your ears.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
I use these and like them a lot. They don't fall out of my ears, and I can't hear any outside gym noise or music with them on either.

Scosche Increased Dynamic Range Noise-Isolation Earphones with tapLINE II Remote and Mic

Thanks. Do you feel that your ears are a bit blocked when you use them? They look a bit like the ones that came with my Nexus.

I would look into the ones that wrap around your ears. I used to own a par way back and loved them. The most important part to think about though is the material. If they are too hard, they start to irritate the backs of your ears.

Yes, I think this is probably what I need to do - I don't trust the smaller ones to stay in place.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
What do you mean by blocked?

When I use the ones that came with my Nexus, it feels a bit like when you are on an airplane that is about to land and you have to equalise your ears by chewing a gum or blocking your nose.

TonyRomo

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2012
The Skullcandy Fix earbuds would suit your needs well; they're designed to not fall out of your ears. I used to use them while exercising, and not once did they ever fall out.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
Have you tried the new Apple ear pods?

No, I haven't - are they better than the ones I have?

The Skullcandy Fix earbuds would suit your needs well; they're designed to not fall out of your ears. I used to use them while exercising, and not once did they ever fall out.

Haha. I'm not really taken by those skulls, but if they stay in my ears I can compromise. Thanks.

----------

No, I can't say I've experienced that.

Thanks. So these are on my list of options.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I never managed to find a pair of really comfortable in-ear ear-phones, so a few months ago I bought a pair of Bowers & Wilkins P3's - which sit on the ears, but are very light, nice and comfortable, beautifully designed, exceedingly portable and are an extremely good piece of audio equipment - the sound quality is excellent.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
Thanks for the input, everyone! I'm still a bit undecided but I'm looking at all the different options suggested in this thread.

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
I have little girlie ears and in ear ones don't work for me at all - they either fall out or hurt.

My trusty sennheiser foldable ones started disintegrating last year so husband bought me a pair of AKG ones. Again foldable but over the ear. Incredibly comfortable.

That said I have a voyager pro BT headset for my phone (as the solely in ear ones fell out/hurt etc) and the loop round the back really makes a difference. The smallest ear piece is tiny and actually fits. What I'm getting at is if you have ears like mine you need to find a manufacturer who truly makes a "small" small ear piece...

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
I have little girlie ears and in ear ones don't work for me at all - they either fall out or hurt.

My trusty sennheiser foldable ones started disintegrating last year so husband bought me a pair of AKG ones. Again foldable but over the ear. Incredibly comfortable.

That said I have a voyager pro BT headset for my phone (as the solely in ear ones fell out/hurt etc) and the loop round the back really makes a difference. The smallest ear piece is tiny and actually fits. What I'm getting at is if you have ears like mine you need to find a manufacturer who truly makes a "small" small ear piece...

Have some IEM custom made for you, well worth the money; myself i use Ultimate ears.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.