Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which do you think will sell more over the long haul? 7" or 10" tablet?

• 7" tablet

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • 10" tablet

Votes: 63 27.6%

• Total voters

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
Which do you think will sell more over the long haul? 7" or 10" tablet?

Right now, 10" tablets are much more common but will this be true in 5-8 years time?

steve dave

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010
I concur. The mini will end up being the most popular. It plays out the same for all of Apples products except for maybe desktops.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
Reminds me a lot of the iPod phases. If that's any sign, the mini will take over, and Apple will make more colors. It's cheaper and more portable. Specs are not the end all like everyone seems to think. Look at the Air, which killed the Macbook. Look at the iPod mini, and then the Nano, pretty much took over their respective product line. All "sub-par" in terms of specs, but the pricing, and the aesthetics "miniaturization" just has more mass appeal.

steve dave

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010
7"....a 10" is no more portable than a macbook air

This guy gets it. I have claimed for some time that my 11" MacBook Air has made my ipad irrelevant. Most of the time I used my ipad just because I felt obligated since I spent much on it.

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
This

If the Mini was priced the same as the larger iPad, the larger one would easily sell more. It's still very portable.

Exactly...I am guessing that, like me, many of the people that frequent this board are asked by friends and family for tech advise. Especially with the holiday season approaching.

If I had a nickel for every time an aunt or uncle asked me "what's the best possible laptop I can get?" I would have about $0.10.

If I had a nickel for every time an aunt or uncle asked me "what's the least expensive possible laptop I can get?" I would have $1,000.

To many people (note: not to all people), the specs that are thrown around are complete and utter nonsense. WiFi range/speed, retina, weight, size, blah blah blah.

My mom/aunt/uncle/etc..."I can get an Apple iPad for $329 or $499? I'll take the less expensive one."

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
Mini. I had a Nexus 7 for a while and I loved the smaller size, made me want to carry it around and use it more. The only real trade-off is the lack of retina and I don't think that outweighs the benefits. The lower price will help too I'm sure.

BigDukeSix

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
34.6700N 118.1590W
This guy gets it. I have claimed for some time that my 11" MacBook Air has made my ipad irrelevant. Most of the time I used my ipad just because I felt obligated since I spent much on it.

I suspect if I had an 11' MBA, I would feel the same. A full on computer in a very nice, compact and light form factor.

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012

Yep. My iPad is gathering a lot of dust now for that very reason. The flexibility I have with my MBA beats the iPad hands down. An iPad mini, on the other hand, is a completely different story. It could potentially double as my e-reader and portable media device. Light enough that I don't think twice about throwing it into my briefcase. Not so with the big iPad.

Buckeyestar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2011
I don't think the size will make as much of a difference as the price. It's the lowest entry point price for an iPad and that will be attractive to a great number of people.

Personally, price isn't the issue for me. I just love the size and weight of the mini.

Techwriter

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2010
Yep. My iPad is gathering a lot of dust now for that very reason. The flexibility I have with my MBA beats the iPad hands down. An iPad mini, on the other hand, is a completely different story. It could potentially double as my e-reader and portable media device. Light enough that I don't think twice about throwing it into my briefcase. Not so with the big iPad.

Double Yep. I sold my dusty iPad and returned to my incredible MBA. I'm expecting my iPad Mini Friday for the same reasons you gave.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Definitely the mini!

Walk into an Apple store, mom sees iPad for $329, then looks to left, sees other iPad for $499. 9/10 she is going to chose the $329.

Also, OP, if you are rounding, it should be 7.9" (8") and 9.7 (10"). Lol.

token787

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2012
I have a 7" tablet and its great for reading, but for school and business I would love the larger iPad. I guess it depends on the use for it, so my vote is 9.7=10. :D

DJTaurus

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2012
Ι use my ipad for watching lots of videos/movies... ipad 4 is no brainier to me.

----------

Reminds me a lot of the iPod phases. If that's any sign, the mini will take over, and Apple will make more colors. It's cheaper and more portable. Specs are not the end all like everyone seems to think. Look at the Air, which killed the Macbook. Look at the iPod mini, and then the Nano, pretty much took over their respective product line. All "sub-par" in terms of specs, but the pricing, and the aesthetics "miniaturization" just has more mass appeal.

It wont kill for sure lighter and thinner ipad 5 with igzo display ;)

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005

I used to think so, but the iPad 3 has made me use the iPad for most things and the MBA only for development.

It used to be that the iPad was barely good enough to surf the web.

Now, with the wealth of apps on the iPad, its a better experience than in a browser on a PC. Weather? On a PC, go to some website, click on a map link, get a small map, very hard to move around and zoom in the map.

iPad, hit the home button, tap some weather app, map, almost immediately get a big view, intuitive and easy to pan around and zoom into a location.

Other apps are much better than the website equivalent. Zillow, realtor apps great, fast, easy to use. Much better than website. CNN, CNBC, financial sites, much better, faster, interesting information at your finger tips on an iPad vs. a website.

Surfing on a PC seems very limiting now. I wonder if they'll ever create Mac apps that are as functional as the many weather, finance, etc. apps. Seems that they just point to a website and give up.

seajewel

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
10 inch is better for work, especially reading work PDFs. also better for watching movies. but the 8 inch is smaller, lighter, CHEAPER, more portable. I'd say that the large share of the market will go for the cheaper, more portable device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.