Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Since switching my ATV3 from wifi to wired a few weeks ago, I haven't had to restart iTunes once. Used to be a daily thing.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
Mine is STILL dropping as well (I'm wired) but I think I can live with it until the next version of iTunes comes out. Hopefully then things will be better. On top of that my ATV1 server is crapping out, time to upgrade to a MacMini I think.

shorn

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
are people still experiencing this problem?
I was getting this, and switched from wired to Wifi, and it seemed to fix it. Just put in new Cat5e cable to ATV and would like to hook it up, but obviously not if this is still ongoing!

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
are people still experiencing this problem?
I was getting this, and switched from wired to Wifi, and it seemed to fix it. Just put in new Cat5e cable to ATV and would like to hook it up, but obviously not if this is still ongoing!

Mine are wired and, since the last software updates to the ATVs and iTunes respectively, have been rock solid. They even stay off when they're supposed to be off.

I do have my "host" machine's CPU set to never sleep. This may also have something to do with it.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
I think the issue is that the Apple TV is not "waking" the machine hosting the videos.

I believe (but can't be sure) that the system was stable before I set the CPU to never sleep (which was necessitated by ML's habit of sleeping the CPU even though Handbrake was in the middle of a job).

As I typically have an HB job running most evenings, I'm not in a position to test this out.

greenhorn3

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2012
Homesharing maybe working?

I've been trying desperately to transfer my Itunes library from my Mbp to a new windows computer with an external drive to no avail after I upgraded to Windows 8 so I tried homesharing...it worked for a bit then the windows computer will somehow suddenly restart after going to sleep and Itunes would close all by itself. I've looked all over the forums and have tried something on my own which seems to have worked so far...connect as you normally do to home sharing only in preferences make sure your host computer is set to stay awake do not let it sleep. It has worked for me so far. Good luck :D

WebHead

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2004
I was having the problem until I set computer sleep to "never". Otherwise I had to reboot the Apple TV to reconnect.

Must be a Power Nap issue. Hopefully iTunes 11 will fix it.

Fed

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Liverpool.
I've been using the Apple TV for just under a week now. It's been perfect so far but last night it gave me an error saying it can't find any content in the given library. It was very weird. I skipped around some settings, flicked back and fourth and ultimately decided to sleep the ATV and then turn it back on again. It worked. I can't understand what was wrong before but if I have to do this more than once, it'll get very annoying.

saxman211

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2010
I don't have apple TV, but homesharing doesn't work on my ipad at all. I think it has something to do with the new iTunes and the OS 6

Deadeyeshark

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
England
I was about to give up on home sharing, bought an AirPort Extreme as a last resort and swapped out my old router, now works like a charm.

ViperDesign

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Utah
I was about to give up on home sharing, bought an AirPort Extreme as a last resort and swapped out my old router, now works like a charm.

Same here. As soon as I put an apple router on, it works every time.

I have tried many different routers and apple is the only one that works without fail.

aliennerd

macrumors member
May 27, 2010
Hi, I recently replaced my Apple TV 2 for a 3rd generation model, simple swap out, everything else the same.

I'm now experiencing drop outs while watching films streamed from my iTunes library whereas with the 2nd Gen there was never a problem.

TopKatz

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2010
I have had this for a little while now.

I have a 09 iMac, itunes 11, OS X 10.8.2

ATV 2 with latest

Wired network.

If the iMac goes to sleep, the ATV will lose it. Waking the mac usually takes care of it.

There is another issue, where it loses the mac, that some times requires a hard boot of the ATV by unplugging it. I only do this if nothing works on the mac.

WebHead

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2004
I'd been hoping iTunes 11 would fix this problem, but it didn't. As noted in another thread, 11.0.1 seems to fix it for one person at least. Can anyone else verify this?

For the record, my ATV 2 couldn't connect to Home Sharing unless I woke up my Mac and restarted the ATV, but it could maintain a connection even if the Mac went to sleep.

Then a power surge bricked by ATV 2 and I had to get an ATV 3, but it couldn't connect, or maintain, a connection if the Mac was asleep.

Hoping iTunes 11.0.1 is the magic bullet ...

Mjpetersen

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2013
Go on your Apple TV and set the ip and all network settings to manual. I did this an it fixes the problem . What happens is hole your devise is connected to Apple TV , if the settings are set to automatic, the Apple TV's up changes and yo loose on connection to it so if you set it to manual, you stay connected. I just got an Apple TV a week ago and I did this and now whenever I am connected to wifi, even if my Apple TV is sleeping. I can use home sharing to control it with the remote

GhostMac24

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
NC
Go on your Apple TV and set the ip and all network settings to manual. I did this an it fixes the problem . What happens is hole your devise is connected to Apple TV , if the settings are set to automatic, the Apple TV's up changes and yo loose on connection to it so if you set it to manual, you stay connected. I just got an Apple TV a week ago and I did this and now whenever I am connected to wifi, even if my Apple TV is sleeping. I can use home sharing to control it with the remote

this.

Rushli0n

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2012
I just never shut it off. Supposedly it takes little power anyways. This fixed it for me. :D

KJens

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2013
Are you guys talking about Homeshaering of Sony? If so.. How do you guys get that software to work.. (Sorry a littlebit off topic)

Chevy2222

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2014
Here's an idea...Why don't you idiots let someone who knows how to correct the problem (IDK, maybe an Apple tech) reply to the issue at hand? Way too many jack wagons replied with the age-old stupid reply, "I have the same problem...", with varying degrees of idiotic rambling pertaining to their own situation that adds basically nothing of value to the thread, except that other people have this problem. We all know what the problem is based on the first post, so STOP asking the same question over and over. Imagine you are someone who actually knows how to fix the problem yet you must go though all of these posts to get to a point where you can help. I would give up and not respond because of all of this useless rambling. That's the problem with threads of this nature...too many dummies simply reiterating the same question. Nobody cares about your personal situation! People only want a solution. Even worse are the losers who reply with, "I don't have that problem at all." Good for you...so why are you reading this thread to begin with? Oh, I see...you're a loser that lives in your mother's basement and have nothing better to do than to read and reply to threads that mean nothing to you. To all of you that actually added helpful relies, I thank you. To any of you that think I'm a sarcastically rude jerk...I don't care because this reply is most probably aimed at you. If my response here keeps just one idiot from doing this in the future, I think I've made the world a better place.

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
One thing I don't see a lot of description of from the people reporting the problem is a description of the whole network, but rather just the ATV and hosting Mac/PC.

I've been having a similar problem, along with issues with Myth on my Mini dropping recordings from a SiliconDust HDHR tuner. Eventually, I realized that some of the other network "quirks" I had around the house (phones and other devices intermittently just not seeing anything else) might all be related, so I did some research into the router.

If you're using Verizon FIOS for internet, their Actiontec routers don't play nice with Apple's Bonjour network discovery protocol. If you can (some models/firmware versions disable or hide the option), disable the IGMP proxy in the router's advanced settings. I just did it yesterday, so the fact that things have gone well so far is no indication that the problem is fixed, but I'll let you know in a week or so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.