Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tuamtuem

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2009
Can any one tell me the advantage of the iPad mini in case that I already have both iPhone and the original iPad?

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I guess now i can start skipping every other model or two with the upgrades being so minor

I'd not call doubling the CPU and Graphics speed minor, it's a MAJOR update.

Can you imagine doubling the power of a Mac or PC and charging the same price for it?

jmille44

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2005
3rd generation trade in

Rumors of a trade in program for your 3rd generation ipad.

Is this true and how much is the upgrade?

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA

Can you imagine doubling the power of a Mac or PC and charging the same price for it?

I would not put it as update I will say it a corection for poor preformance due to the retina screen

----------

Can any one tell me the advantage of the iPad mini in case that I already have both iPhone and the original iPad?

Iphone too small ipad too big

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
Have you ever held a laptop in your hands? My iPad 3 barely gets warm let alone hot, while my Dell laptop leaves a burnmark on my wooden desk. I'll bet you complaing that there's flair when you take a picture of the sun with your iPad too.

Well your personal attacks are great. No I don't complain about lens 'flair' when I take a picture of the sun. But, have YOU held an iPad 1? The difference is noticeable and the iPad 3 was uncomfortably warm, which was my first impression holding it, compared to the iPad 1. I assumed this was because the die size for the A5X is enormous, and I had hoped the process change to the A6X would have helped, but per the engadget review, apparently it doesn't.

That is too bad.

Incidentally, my iPhone 4S also gets similarly warm. I don't like it but it's tolerable. I would prefer a perfectly cool running device, but not at the expense of the performance being delivered. But, I was hoping!

pcharles

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2003
Michigan's Upper Peninsula
Lovely. My "new iPad" lasted all of 7 months. Is that the shortest product life cycle ever for an Apple product?

(Of course, it still works fine, and I will continue to use it. It's just never a nice feeling knowing your product got superseded by the new model -- twice as fast even -- while yours isn't even out of warranty yet. Oh well...)

I think this is the norm in the PC and Android world.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
It's only major if you need it. The great majority of Apples target market don't know the difference, won't benefit from it, and don't care.

The greatest benefit goes to Apple, as they collect the big bucks their iDevices generate.

Apple _is_ the marketing master. No one can sell like Apple can.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
These aren't reviews.... just fishing for website hits.

Seriously, never knew there so many shills writing reviews for Apple. These guys are just as bad as 'Analysts' like Gene Munster. Waiting for Anandtech's review. He's usually much more thorough.

Sep 10, 2012

Jog on!

----------

Don't worry, it's the cycle of electronics. Updates move so fast especially when the competition is offering more affordable options which in turn pushes Apple to refresh faster.

I mean when you got your iPad 3 (Le New iPad) i'm sure there was a part of you that was laughing at those who bought the iPad 2.

And the cycle continues...

Why would I laugh at someone who bought an iPad 2? They had a year with the latest device so they got good value for their money.

I'm pleased for everyone who is going to be buying the 4th gen ... honestly, good luck to them.

But owning a £659 tablet for just 7 months, only to have it updated x2 its capabilities is a bit of a wind up.

And it's not just me who thinks so ... just look through the forums and you will see that many people are pissed off about it.

----------

I don't understand

... clearly you don't ;)

----------

It really shouldn't be called iPad 4 or 4th Generation. More like 3.5. Not much of an update. The iPad 3 is still a great device. Virtually everyone who will see one will not be able to tell if it is 3rd or "4th" generation.

... they will notice when they use it.

It will be twice as fast :)

----------

At least your not a Samsung phone owner where the turn around is every 3 months.

I payed the premium for an Apple device so what does Samsung have to do with anything?

They took the piss and it was purely out of greed ... an attempt to lure potential customers away from Window's Surface.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal

At what point did u ask

"My iPad 3 is too slow!" "I need more power!"

Give me a break

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
It's only major if you need it. The great majority of Apples target market don't know the difference, won't benefit from it, and don't care.

The greatest benefit goes to Apple, as they collect the big bucks their iDevices generate.

Apple _is_ the marketing master. No one can sell like Apple can.

This^^ because I totally never knew my ipad 3 was dog slow until I started reading these threads..

I think this is called 'Virtual Delusionary Appleism':p

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
At what point did u ask

"My iPad 3 is too slow!" "I need more power!"

Give me a break

I never ask that question, and never will. But give me more power, and I'll ask this one:

"What incredible new tools and functionality will Apple and third-party app developers come up with to take advantage of this additional functionality?"

• Ever more realistic games?
  • Onboard Siri voice to text dictation (no data connection needed)?
  • Simulated plenoptic photography (move the camera in a small circle to capture an image from many angles, then calculate depth and allow Lytro-style focusing after the fact)?
  • Use the FaceTime camera to generate a realistic 3D avatar by moving your head around, and making a few defined expressions for emotion and a few for phonemes. Speak a few key phrases, and Siri creates a "personality" based on your face and voice. Trade personalities with a friend, and Siri can read text messages or emails (or anything) aloud, using your friend's face and voice.

These are just ideas, waiting for someone with the knowhow to implement them, and a platform with the power to execute them. We're not that far away from the perfectly coiffed mask that Jane Jetson used to answer the video phone when someone had the nerve to call her before she had had her morning coffee and put on her makeup.

vartanarsen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2010
When are these coming in the mail??? I ordered last week aahhhh..sold my iPad 3 for $100 less then what i bought it for:)):D

Lark.Landon

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
So Cal
Lovely. My "new iPad" lasted all of 7 months. Is that the shortest product life cycle ever for an Apple product?

(Of course, it still works fine, and I will continue to use it. It's just never a nice feeling knowing your product got superseded by the new model -- twice as fast even -- while yours isn't even out of warranty yet. Oh well...)

Oh no! Here's a tissue.

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
... they will notice when they use it.

It will be twice as fast :)

Yes, the person who owns it will know it is a 4th generation.
and
Yes, Apple says it is twice as fast but:
TheVerge said:
In practice, the most noticeable difference between third and fourth generation of iPad is how quickly apps launch. It's not so much that the older iPad is slow to launch apps, but the A6X-powered model is consistently and noticeably faster to do so. Light apps (like Notes or Mail) launch only a beat faster, but games and movies were often several seconds faster to open on the new model.
Of course it is faster and better, but "twice as fast" is misleading. You can get it to preform twice as fast in tests (which is why Apple is saying it is twice as fast) but in real world use it may not do everything twice as quickly and it may not be worth an upgrade for many iPad 3 owners (unless you just HAVE to have the latest)

Unless, you know, you look at the dock/lightning port...
Yes, those with sharp eyes will be able to tell (if they can get a view of the dock area) but generally people would not be able to tell if someone they walk by is using a 3rd or 4th generation iPad. If someone is using it, the dock may be facing down away from your eyes, or if they are using it in landscape, their hands may be covering the dock.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
The thing that's funny about this is people often use frequent refreshes against android. "You will have an obsolete phone six months after launch" they say. Now apple does this to the iPad and all I am seeing is justification as to why the 30 pin dock iPad is still good. Classic

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
The thing that's funny about this is people often use frequent refreshes against android. "You will have an obsolete phone six months after launch" they say. Now apple does this to the iPad and all I am seeing is justification as to why the 30 pin dock iPad is still good. Classic

The reviews support this. I do not think anyone has been "blown away" by how much better the newer iPad is. (The benefit of the new chip will actually be felt later on as newer/updated Apps can take advantage of it)

This is a bit unusual for Apple to refresh this quickly but it makes a lot of sense:

• The holiday shopping season is almost here
  • Apple just replaced the 30 Pin connector which has been around for almost a decade
  • The more products that use the new Lightning connector the easier it is to sell "companion iOs products" that also use that new connector
  • The current iPhones and iPods now use the new connector but the 3rd part of the iOS empire did not.

They could have just updated the connector mid cycle, but since they had the new chip, using it in a "newer iPad" would increase sales more than just the 3rd generation iPad with a different docking connector (And you see a lot of people did sell their recently purchased iPads in favor of the "new hotness")

I hope this does not make the next refresh (5th Generation iPad) look lame, maybe they have another chip twice as fast as the A6X?

iThinkIt

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2012
Florida, USA
got my shipment notice of the 4th Gen.. being shipped out of Nashville TN last night.. will arrive on the 2nd... now come on 3rd party cables....

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
got my shipment notice of the 4th Gen.. being shipped out of Nashville TN last night.. will arrive on the 2nd... now come on 3rd party cables....
The official ones are just $19 (unless you need something to adapt to a 30 pin dock)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.