Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oxband

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2009
I'm creating a website for my filmmaking with Wordpress. I'm making it very simple and I'm not hosting any videos since everything will be linked from Youtube or Vimeo. I want a cheap option for hosting. The options Wordpress offers are all over 50 dollars a year. I'm thinking there must be something cheaper, such as GoDaddy, and if I want to eventually make a more comprehensive website, I can change hosts.

Any thoughts on this? What is a good cheap host for Wordpress?

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
I use GoDaddy as well. I shopped hosting about a year ago and they came up better than any other. Their customer service is OK but you'll do quite a bit of clicking around on their Web site to find what you need.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Have you checked at wordpress.com?

It's still free, cannot think of any cheaper than that.
Scroll to the bottom of wordpress and click the little button "Create your own website"; right under the Get Started text

just confused

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I would never let Go Daddy host my sites. Try asmallorange.com or hostgator.com

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2007
England
I would never let Go Daddy host my sites. Try asmallorange.com or hostgator.com

I would also vote for A Small Orange. Can't say I'm a fan of GoDaddy. HostGator is good but I'd say their support has been lacking more recently.

webfilms

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2012
Best host is blue host

Stop being so cheap. Go with the best blue host about 5 or 6 month for new member about 7 or 8 for existing members. Check out what you get for your money. I have been with them for seven years and they have excellent service with 24 hour phone support. I have 12 sites up with them 4 are word press and the others I created them in dreamweaver but now in the process of changing them all to word press. Good luck.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
I'm a web developer/designer. I specialize in WordPress sites and I can tell you from experience that GoDaddy is amongst the worst places to host your site. If you want peace of mind and good support try any of the following:

Hostgator
Blue Host
Liquidweb - most expensive but best service

$50 to $100 year is not expensive. When it comes to hosting you really shouldn't look for the cheapest. You really get what you pay for.

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
I've also been using A Small Orange for a few years now. Their support really is great (i.e., near instant email replies to most support issues I've had).

manueld

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009
Stop being so cheap. Go with the best blue host about 5 or 6 month for new member about 7 or 8 for existing members. Check out what you get for your money. I have been with them for seven years and they have excellent service with 24 hour phone support. I have 12 sites up with them 4 are word press and the others I created them in dreamweaver but now in the process of changing them all to word press. Good luck.

This. I've been using them for years and have had no issues and love them.

bronxred

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
Bronx
No GoDaddy. Yes Dreamhost.

If you're going for a host over the free alternatives, I'm partial to Dreamhost. GoDaddy was an absolute nightmare for me. I've been with Dreamhost for nine years and they have always been quick, courteous and helpful whenever I've had an issue or question of any kind. They have all the usual "unlimited" stuff and a great control panel.

Jake :D

Last edited by a moderator:

C62008

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2008
A Small Orange can't be beat. Their "tiny" plan is something like $35/year, and their support is 2nd to none.

Wow, second to none? I just checked their website and the welcome page has a widget that currently indicates it's 44 minutes until you can speak to the next available support staff. If my clients had to wait 44 minutes I'd lose every last one of them. And deservedly so.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Wow, second to none? I just checked their website and the welcome page has a widget that currently indicates it's 44 minutes until you can speak to the next available support staff. If my clients had to wait 44 minutes I'd lose every last one of them. And deservedly so.

And I'd fire a client if they couldn't wait the amount of time it takes for a lunch break. Especially for $35/year. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

For a $50/month Media Temple account, I'd agree though.

Vervious

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2012
San Jose
I'd second A Small Orange. Even if the live chat takes a while, they respond to support tickets within half an hour. Namecheap for registering a domain name; they've always been reliable in that respect.

C62008

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2008
And I'd fire a client if they couldn't wait the amount of time it takes for a lunch break. Especially for $35/year. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

For a $50/month Media Temple account, I'd agree though.

You are correct, sir, cost is of course relevant. We charge much more than these plans.

Randy McKown

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2011
I've been using hostgator since 2006 .. I spend $120 a year to have multiple domains. They might have something a bit cheaper. I doubt much though because anything around a $100 a year is considered good cheap shared hosting.

ohbrilliance

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Bluehost all the way. Cheap, fast and reliable, and they offer a lot of stuff that other budget hosts don't, such as support for your own subversion repositories, and the ability to install your own programs.

prestonkd

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2007
Alabama
HostGator has some specials going this weekend. You can get 60% off most of the time. They run a special for an hour at a time where you can get 75% off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.