Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

mountain_lion_icon-150x150.jpg
Six weeks after the release of OS X 10.8.2, Apple is preparing to begin testing on the next maintenance update to OS X Mountain Lion. AppleInsider notes that Apple has sent out invitations to select users asking them to participate in the testing process.

The first build of a new OS X version typically appears a few days after such invitations are sent out, suggesting that we may see the first beta of OS X 10.8.3 appearing late this week or early next week.

There is no word yet on what changes and improvements will be included in the update, and the amount of time each release spends in testing can vary significantly, so there is no estimate yet on when OS X 10.8.3 can be expected to make its way to a public release.

Article Link: Apple Preparing to Begin Testing of OS X 10.8.3

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
I dont think anything major is coming. Probably some minor enhancements alongside performance tweaks.

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
Does anything major ever come in .. Updates, for either iOS or OS X?

facebook and twitter integration was a big update. Also the update which fixed the battery draining issue was big and made a notable difference to users.

Osullivan1

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2011
London
It'll come out in February I reckon, going on how long it's taking them to release iTunes 11:cool:...

TBH I'd be surprised if it came out before Feb, since OS X betas stay in beta for months as everyone on the OS X team is probably working on OS X 10.9 (or whatever will be next) since they usually unveil the next OS in February.

Westacular

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2007
Does anything major ever come in .. Updates, for either iOS or OS X?

Tons of stuff. Although, for OS X, that's more the exception than the norm.

Off the top of my head:

10.6.6 added the Mac App Store.
10.7.2 added iCloud.
10.8.2 added Facebook integration, new Game Centre features, and a bunch of other features mostly related to integration with new features in iOS 6.

... but, in each of those cases, the features were announced and known about well in advance. I wouldn't expect Apple to introduce any "surprise" new features in a point release, and there exists nothing to indicate that there will be any new features in 10.8.3; in all likelihood, it's mostly bug fixes, with probably many of them related to features introduced in 10.8.2.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
I really hope they fix the Mac mini wake-on-LAN issues that ML introduced...

And the remote wake problems Lion introduced..

Both a critical for media machines.. :(

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
I bet it launches before end November with features related to the delayed iTunes improvements.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
3 months? That's not a long time. :) I know several bugreports I filed, some were fixed after 3 years in another OS.

Yup. I reported an iPod touch-specific bug in 3.1.3 (back when that was the current version) and Apple finally got back to me a few weeks ago.

tcphoto

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
Madison, GA
this is news?

It is for those of us with portables, a number of us have lost a great deal of battery life and Apple has contacted many of us about it back in August. The 10.8.2 update did little to nothing and we can only hope that the next update will help.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
It is for those of us with portables, a number of us have lost a great deal of battery life and Apple has contacted many of us about it back in August. The 10.8.2 update did little to nothing and we can only hope that the next update will help.

my point is I would hope that it was a given that apple was testing updates to ML that they will roll out. It shouldn't have to be posted that they are doing so lol

Just like I am sure it is a given apple is working on the next iphone as we speak

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.