Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
false advertising and a mistake are two different things. Apple did do false adverting and lied.

Amazon on the other hand made an honest mistake and I can easily see way because of how close together the speakers on not like you can hear any stereo sound out of them.

What

ufwa

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2011
What i find stupid is that Apple themselves doesn't make this clear at the start.

People shouldn't have to email some exec to find out.

Is adding the word "stereo" that hard?

heroinsmoker

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2008
Hd

1024x768 is NOT "standard definition" which means 640x480 or at best 854x480.

With more than 720 lines, you could consider it "HD". (It's only about 15% less pixels than 720p.)

And yes, you can watch HD movies on it just fine with minimal quality difference.

Apple should demand they take this down.

Judas1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
Stereo speakers? What the hell. Don't people watch movies in landscape, and the sound is still coming from one side only?

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
How can anyone tell if it's stereo if both speakers are right next to each other?

Seriously, that's about the worst "stereo" speaker layout I've ever seen. So if you're watching a movie (in landscape, obviously) it's "stereo" but all the sounds are still going to come from the right side of the screen, since that's where both speakers are?
Yeah, if they bother with stereo, the speakers should be on the bottom and top. That way, you get stereo when you're watching a movie in landscape mode, and in portrait where sound experience is less relevant since you're probably just browsing the web or whatever, you won't get stereo but at least the sound will be centered. Now instead you get an extremely narrow stereo image in portrait and sound from one side in landscape... nifty feature wasted.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Oh, it's stereo. That makes all the other points invalid. Phew. :p

Yeah, like the first one about they have more pixels.

And the second point about how they have more pixels.

And the third point which is that try have... um.... more pixels.

Ok, Amazon. Who fell asleep and forgot to do their homework? They really couldn't come up with any other advantages that the Kindle has? Heck, even I can think of a few. Who are they paying (and how much?) to just write the same thing 3 times and then go home early?

Judas1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011

With more than 720 lines, you could consider it "HD". (It's only about 15% less pixels than 720p.)

And yes, you can watch HD movies on it just fine with minimal quality difference.

Most movies are widescreen. Therefore, the extra height, in landscape, of the ipad mini doesn't matter much. The resolution you're seeing is only 1024x600, below HD.

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
Too bad the 4th gen iPad won't have stereo speakers - darn!

That is one feature I'd really appreciate.

For those who think stereo speakers on such a small device mean nothing, just remember the superb listening capabilities of the human ear.

We can detect, and appreciate, the discreet sounds emanating from 2 different sources. So yeah, it makes a big difference.

The iPad 5 will be just awesome, if they incorporate some of the attributes of the iPad mini: lightness, sexier shape, and stereo speakers.

However, a thinner bezel might not be *that* great. For the larger iPad you need some real estate on the sides to grip without getting your thumb on the screen blocking the view.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Let me get this straight, that grill on the right, at the bottom of the mini is suddenly a stereo setup..... interesting, cannot wait to hear it on friday....

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007

NO.

I am sick and tired of corporations manipulating the definition of words and phrases to suit their needs. 720p is NOT HD, unless the H stands for half-a$$. It's 1080p. 4G is NOT HSPA+ or WiMAX, it's LTE running at 100Mbps.

Apple can choose to put an HD screen in their iPad mini or keep their mouths closed when others point out their lack of one. They've chosen the latter. Now OWN IT.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006

1024*768 is not HD.

HD is 1280*720 for 720p or 1920*1080 for 1080i/p. Some would argue that 720p is not HD, but it is a standard. The iPad mini is a low resolution display according to the standards. Most of the initial reviews mention this display is lacking, but not a deal breaker.

Judas1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
It's 8" tablet designed for a mobile use mostly and not 50" TV where you could get full movie experience. Chill out
Just stating its not something to brag about. Its a useless feature having two speakers that are on the same side.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Most movies are widescreen. Therefore, the extra height, in landscape, of the ipad mini doesn't matter much. The resolution you're seeing is only 1024x600, below HD.

Which only shows how stupid the whole 'HD' thing is.

1280x720 on a 50" screen = HD
1024x600 on a 8" screen = not HD

Guess which one will look sharper? Doesn't matter, apparently.

The 'HD' term made a little bit of sense when most every TV was between 27" and 50". The fact that the tech industry went on to use the phrase for every screen from 4" to 100" is to biggest bunch of crap they've pulled in quite some time. And this is an industry FULL of crap advertising to begin with.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
We can detect, and appreciate, the discreet sounds emanating from 2 different sources. So yeah, it makes a big difference.
It makes a difference in portrait orientation, where IMO it matters the least. For movies and games you'll probably want landscape where you'll still be getting the sound from one side only.

If the 10" iPad had a secondary speaker where the sleep button and rear camera currently are, it would be another story.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
I agree that it sure looks like a mistake on Amazon's part and not false advertising. Look at apple's tech specs, it specifically says "speaker" with no mention of stereo and the picture only points to one of the grilles. When the mini was announced, I assumed from that it was mono and mentioned it in the forums here. I assume Amazon will change it, but they need to be aware of the fact and take the time to update their site.

1) why can Amazon say they offer Movies and TV (with a PAID amazon prime subscription), yet they dismiss PAY movies and TV from the iTunes Store?

2) Is the iPad Mini (and iPad 2) really a low res display? I swore I watched 720p movies on my iPad 2. While they may have not been 720p exactly, I wouldn't have called it low res.

They say the mini can't play HD movies and TV, which is true since the resolution isn't high enough. That's what they mean by #2 as well, it just means "not HD".

The ipad 3 still had stereo didn't it?

No.

Sure, you can watch an HD file, but it will be scaled down, which is their point. I'm sure amazon will update the stereo/mono thing, but they are right about HD so that's not going to change.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
Which only shows how stupid the whole 'HD' thing is.

1280x720 on a 50" screen = HD
1024x600 on a 8" screen = not HD

Guess which one will look sharper? Doesn't matter, apparently.

The 'HD' term made a little bit of sense when most every TV was between 27" and 50". The fact that the tech industry went on to use the phrase for every screen from 4" to 100" is to biggest bunch of crap they've pulled in quite some time. And this is an industry FULL of crap advertising to begin with.

Huh? There is nothing wrong with the current HD standards. I think you are talking about viewing distance. The iPad 2 and Mini the pixels are very noticeable at a foot viewing distance.

Phazer

macrumors regular
May 19, 2010
Seoul, South Korea
Even if it has 2 speakers it does not mean it's stereo.
Stereo and dual mono are 2 very different things.
Even if it had 20 speakers all over the place, it would still probably be mono.
Stereo is the ability to play one thing on one speaker, and another on the other speaker.

deaglecat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
The question is not whether it has stereo speakers... but are the speakers any good. Mono can be good ... with the right speaker.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.