Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sideonecincy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2003
Welcome to this week's photo contest!

Theme: Your Take On The Icons

Rules:

1. You may only submit one photo per contest.

2. Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

3. The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread)

4. At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's Winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)

5. The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme)

Everyone has their favorite icon to take pictures of. It may be a local statue or may be a national monument. Even though these icons have been photographed millions of times, I still enjoy seeing new creative views and classic views.

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
My take on the carving on Stone Mountain in GA.

Statue%20and%20Carving-XL.jpg

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
Sorry for participating so randomly. Here's the Washington from across the Tidal Basin early one morning.

p234701253-5.jpg

psychotropic

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2008
Florida
Twin Towers

The Twin Towers, once icons of growth and prosperity. Now, a remembrance of so many lives lost in a heartless and senseless act of hatred.

Attachments

• IMG_6370 - Version 2.jpg
    IMG_6370 - Version 2.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 230

danielbsp.uk

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2012
london
Houses of the Parliament ( Big Ben )

a panoramic view of Westminster with the Houses of Parliament and Big Ben in the background, such a iconic view of the city of London by Daniel de souza Pinto

nikon D80, used photoshop cs5 to build the panoramic effect

Attachments

• Big Ben sunny day 1_1_3.jpg
    Big Ben sunny day 1_1_3.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 308
Last edited:

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
The Disney castle, as taken from the Fantasyland area.

Your picture reminded me a lot of one that is actually featured on Disney's official website. However, I like your nighttime version a lot more. Disney theme parks and NYC (IMO) have got to be the two most beautiful places to photograph.

22.jpg

Sideonecincy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2003
Wow, what a bunch of great photos

imac wannabe: Fantastic photo, love the running lines and the balance. The plane looks majorly different than it does from photos taken while flying. I love the V of extra light.

pmxperience: Nice photo that shows the length of the wall. The wall in the bottom of the photo provides some depth. I'm not sure if this was taken on a foggy/overcast day or if there is a filter over it.

Keleko: Next time I go to Atlanta, I need to go see this. I love it how the sun is hitting the wall, but also keeping the guys on the horses in the shade. Whatever time of the day you were there at, the sunlight really helped provide some depth to the photo.

cambookpro: Nice photo of the Eifel tower. I imagine this is one of the places where it is hard to do anything really creative with the tower. Personally, not a fan of the trees, but you did manage to get some nice blue skies and nice colors.

Melizard: I imagine this is the type of place where the photos just don't do it justice. Having the animals and people next to the walls really help show their actual size.

acearchie: Well this was the first photo that I had to google where it was located. For my own personal taste, its a tad too busy. The official global partner sign attracts my attention too much away from the girl.

JDDavis: Nice horizon and sky colors. The evening shot gives the perfect time where the monument is well lit, but the surrounding buildings are still visible. I haven't been to DC in years, but this makes me want to return.

Caliber26: Of course iPhone photos count! It amazes me sometimes how nice of a photo a phone can take. I've never been to Disneyland, so I have no idea how big this actually is, but it looks like its huge. Nice colors that transition all over seamlessly.

oblomow: I have no idea what this is, but thankfully Google does! I think this is another thing that is very hard to get a creative or different shot. It doesn't really look like the weather was on your side either. While I'm not crazy about the photo, you do have me reading wikipedia about the story behind the spider.

milbournosphere: Nice colors & terrific dof. I cant really say anything else about the photo, I think its great.

Kentochan: I would imagine this is something that it is nearly impossible to get an empty room shot of the shuttle. Obviously the people in the crowd are unavoidable at some points. I do like the monochrome filter and the American flag in the middle...makes the shuttle look very dominant.

28Fiend: Cathedrals are hidden beauties. The most plain boring building has a cathedral in it that is simply breathtaking. The architecture and stain glass in these buildings is amazing. This is a nice photo, I might have zoomed in a bit to get rid of the podium, but it is rather unnoticeable. You did a good job shooting this cause you have the bright light at the back of the alter but barely any light at the top. If you used HDR/multi exposures for this, it isn't noticeable to me. Good job.

fcortese: Drastically different view of the Brooklyn bridge than I have seen. I never been to NYC, but really want to go and see this. I like the choice to convert it to black & white (or grey), and the lines running down the middle just suck you in. It is a very nice photo.

This has nothing to do with your photo, but I love the Roebling Bridge in Cincinnati and the Brooklyn Bridge was initially designed by John Roebling, who built the bridge in Cincinnati. It is just fascinating to look at the similarities.

psychotropic: You did a nice job reflecting the guy off the plaques. I'm not too crazy with how big the American flag is in the front of the photo.

AxisOfBeagles: Perfect fitting for halloween. All the day of the dead costumes are interesting to see how creative people get with them. Gives off a halloween feel and it is a cool little statue.

Cheese&Apple: I'm not crazy about the crop or how zoomed it in is. I'm not sure this is just one of your favorite animals or if I'm just not catching the icon of this photo. I personally would've submitted this photo.

danielbsp.uk: Nice panorama, how many shots was this taken with? I can't see where it was stitched at, so it looks seamless to me. I might've zoomed in a bit to get rid of the tree branches on the left side.

GT41: I was at Alcatraz early in October and it is hard to get a great shot from the water. The clouds, b&w and angle make this look amazing. The black skies with the white clouds and white building provide great contrast.

Caliber26: This is one of the pictures that just reminds you of Disney. I've never been there personally, but I know it is related to disney. Nice photo with nice depth

BarryJ: Hahaha, sorry you're talking to a non-star wars fan (yes there are some!). Nice photo with him in the sunlight. If you get the chance, I would try to take some photos of this with the background completely dark. Looks like this statue has a lot of potential.

AlexH: This angle makes this building look huge and scary. I initially thought it was a closed down psychiatric hospital, but much to my surprise, it is still open (correct me if I'm wrong). The HDR works well here and this is better than any of the other photos I saw while googling information about this place.

macAllen: If you spend your life in airports, you have my condolences. This is a layout I always picture in the airport, but my gear is packed away. To me, this gives a business/corporate feel, mostly because of the leather seats.

Winners:
3rd: GT41
2nd: imac wannabe
1st: fcortese

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.