Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
What a disappointment! Desktops don't need to be this thin. It's totally impractical to remove the optical drive for this reason. I'd rather have better processing power for my resource hungry apps like Cubase, Final cut and photoshop than a thinner design.

It could be three times the thickness and they'd still have removed the drive.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
Originally Posted by steve119
I'll stop buying optical media when iTunes stops charging the same amount for a film as a bluray disc with a nice cover with extra features lol.

When it comes to non new releases it feels like this.

Apple - iTunes compressed digital copy with no extras, $19.99

Me - Finds used copy for five dollars with full extras and the ability to trade, sell and or give away.

Until that changes................

I am just not in the same place as most companies when it comes to digital media.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
Funny when that is a leap forward for them when this is something I would think of standard for at least a couple years.
Haha, yeah well Apple generally always keeps very low possible configurations on the RAM and HDDs. Good to see them moving that up a step.

eject

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2010
London
Good luck with that. Seriously. Read customer feedback about early failures on external drives and you'll see what I mean. One day, the icon will just disappear and you've just lost all your movies... and anything else you had on that drive. Hope you've got another external drive to back that one up..... or maybe a friend who will lend you his dvds.....

Of course it's duped! Drives are unreliable over time they all break. But my point is who the hell needs a DVD drives built in these days..

eject

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2010
London
Seriously - an untouched DICOM-image usually taxes in at around 10MB. Most peoples' mailbox won't even allow this size of attachment.

Seriously - have you considered the security efforts needed on both sides to have this sensitive data transferred secure.

And seriously - why change? You think optical is "stuck in the past" as Schiller said in his presentation? Guess what, there is no real substitute for cheap optical media to transfer this stuff.

10MB , why send un-touched? Not reason to stick on a disc burn etc. you are making work for yourself. Email, servers, cloud, hard drives and memory sticks... Burning discs is pointless, throwaway...

----------

There are all sorts of protective tariffs and taxes in Brazil. So prices are meaningless for comparison with other countries. It is apple with oranges.

----------

While it is tempting to equate the current optical drive exclusion with the floppy drive decision in 1998, they are not the same. CDs will still be used by millions over the coming years (especially by older farts like myself) because it is the standard in the music industry.

CD use is indeed declining and will eventually die, but it will take quite a long time. And not over the next five to six years which are relevant to many current potential buyers of iMacs.

Pedro

It's dead already pedro - catch up, use wav, AAC and servers...

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
I just used my optical drive to make a couple bootdisks, would I be just as happy using flash drives? Yes! Why not? Because DVD
s cost me fifteen cents each!

Fonzarello

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2012
They may be a little more expensive but it's also touting 8GB of RAM and a 1 TB HDD compared to before.

It's been over a year and a half since the last update. Four extra GB of RAM should go without saying. I doubt 8GB of RAM today costs Apple any more than 4GB cost in early 2011.

And 1TB HDD were standard on mid-2011 27" iMacs. No improvement there.

It's seems probable that the main reason for the price increase is the cost in manufacturing the thinner screen.

And one more reason for an ODD: I bought a home improvement kit today that came furnished with an instructional DVD, which I'm much happier watching on my iMac than my television. Can't do that without an ODD.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
It's been over a year and a half since the last update. Four extra GB of RAM should go without saying. I doubt 8GB of RAM today costs Apple any more than 4GB cost in early 2011.

And 1TB HDD were standard on mid-2011 27" iMacs. No improvement there.

It's seems probable that the main reason for the price increase is the cost in manufacturing the thinner screen.

And one more reason for an ODD: I bought a home improvement kit today that came furnished with an instructional DVD, which I'm much happier watching on my iMac than my television. Can't do that without an ODD.
I'm sure you're right about the RAM, but we still had to pay more through Apple. At least now we don't. The high end 27 inch iMac hasn't increased in price though, only the low end model. I agree the screen is a significant part of the cost.

Fonzarello

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2012
The high end 27 inch iMac hasn't increased in price though, only the low end model.

Good catch. At the very least I looked at new vs. mid-2011 models and bought a heavily discounted mid-2011 iMac (27" lower end, $1359). I can't justify $440 more for .2GHz and 4GB of RAM, not to mention another $79 for a superdrive. I bought 16GB of RAM from Crucial for $90. Hopefully it will last me as long as my 2008 model.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
Good catch. At the very least I looked at new vs. mid-2011 models and bought a heavily discounted mid-2011 iMac (27" lower end, $1359). I can't justify $440 more for .2GHz and 4GB of RAM, not to mention another $79 for a superdrive. I bought 16GB of RAM from Crucial for $90. Hopefully it will last me as long as my 2008 model.
Congrats on your buy. I'm going after the high end 27 inch model, as I intend to do some gaming. Gotta save first though lol.

MowingDevil

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2008
Vancouver, BC & Sydney, NSW
I must agree. I still use the drive, but I've got a lot of systems and only need a drive on one of them. Like others I see no benefit to a thin iMac and removing the drive while at the same time raising the price seems like an insult.

So why not offer the optical drive & FireWire as the high end model. I'd gladly pay more for it. The 'thinness' of this machine is a facade on two levels. First of all it's a mirage & only thin on the outer edges. Secondly it's an excuse not to include optical. The truth is a path that leads directly to iTunes & the App store.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
So why not offer the optical drive & FireWire as the high end model. I'd gladly pay more for it. The 'thinness' of this machine is a facade on two levels. First of all it's a mirage & only thin on the outer edges. Secondly it's an excuse not to include optical. The truth is a path that leads directly to iTunes & the App store.

That would make sense and give buyers far too many options it appears. I always thought that would be a nice idea.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007

Desktops (including the Mini and Mac Pro) are 20% of Apple's computer business which is 20% (or so) of Apple's business.

Do you have any idea how few people are buying high-end iMacs?

zoozx

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
ca
Any thinner and i may as well buy a Ipad.

I here the next imac will be even thinner, but you won't be able to turn it on.
Less features for a thinner design and increased cost, fail.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
A
Less features for a thinner design and increased cost, fail.

Less features? Alrighty then . . . :rolleyes:

----------

It could be three times the thickness and they'd still have removed the drive.

exactly . . .

Those that still feel the need to complain about it's thickness should just move on to something else and stop complaining. Oh wait, those same people will be the first orders in. :rolleyes:

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
So, no new mac pros, the iMacs are even LESS user upgradeable than before, and the mac minis are vastly overpriced for what they are when taken in comparison with the cost of the low end macbooks + a screen, anyone else feel apple is trying to kill its desktop market completely ?

at least windows 8 is going to usher in some really nice PC all-in-ones, with touch screens and upgradable HDDs/Ram and probably video cards, i cant wait to hackintosh one of the next gen of windows PCs

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
The new iMac is indeed gorgeous. However I wonder how many folks are aware that the Fusion drive isn't exactly a brand new concept. A quick google search revealed several posts on blogs and social media that were lauding Apple for its "innovation" of the Fusion concept, yet I've had a Momentus XT hybrid drive in my MBP for almost two years.

Oh, really? Here we are these brainless fanboys, not knowing our asses from our elbows. How wonderful and insightful of you to have bought a hybrid drive.

To be fair, this is a bit different. This is a 128 GB flash chip added to a 1 TB hard drive in software. It's a virtual volume. The ability to run it this way is embedded in the OS, Mountain Lion. So, yeah, "it's" been done before, but this is a very nice little speed boost. And it comes in the box. There's a hacker who has found a way to implement the same thing with other hardware, by using he Terminal. I presume that the ability to make these OS calls will be part of something that developers might have access to, if not now, then eventually.

If you look for it, you'll always find previous art. I've heard some complaints about hybrid drives. Has that been your experience?

What the industry had seen before was a single, manufactured THING. This is combining the two things in a virtual drive in software.

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
I´ve had a Momentus XT for 2 years in my MBP and it just got slower and slower. I just swapped it for an SSD drive. The Fusion Drive seems to be ALOT better than any hybrid drive. It is a new concept

EDIT: And before anyone asks: I did a firmware upgrade on the Momentus XT before I started using it

drummingcraig

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2007
"Armpit of the South"
Oh, really? Here we are these brainless fanboys, not knowing our asses from our elbows. How wonderful and insightful of you to have bought a hybrid drive.

To be fair, this is a bit different. This is a 128 GB flash chip added to a 1 TB hard drive in software. It's a virtual volume. The ability to run it this way is embedded in the OS, Mountain Lion. So, yeah, "it's" been done before, but this is a very nice little speed boost. And it comes in the box. There's a hacker who has found a way to implement the same thing with other hardware, by using he Terminal. I presume that the ability to make these OS calls will be part of something that developers might have access to, if not now, then eventually.

If you look for it, you'll always find previous art. I've heard some complaints about hybrid drives. Has that been your experience?

What the industry had seen before was a single, manufactured THING. This is combining the two things in a virtual drive in software.

1) I never used the term "fanboy" anywhere in any of my posts in this thread.

2) I was never boastful about myself AT ALL, nor did I ever imply superiority for having purchased a hybrid drive.

3) If you pay attention to the date this thread started (which also corresponds to the date of my quoted post above) you'll notice that it was a day or two before the full specs/details about the Fusion drive system were released. As such:
  1. I do not need to have the Fusion system explained to me. I understand what it is, how it works and how it differs from the Momentus XT drives.
  2. Had those details been posted immediately at launch, I likely would not have made the comment I did or at least, worded it the way I did.

4) Lastly, as I have stated in at least one other reply in this thread, I never intended to compare the two systems as being equals. I was simply pointing out that on the day of the announcement of the new iMacs people "on the inter webs" were reacting to the Fusion drive concept (the idea of bringing together SSD and platter drive memory to function as a single drive) as being something never before heard of. And I am not talking about techies or nerds like ourselves who know about hybrid drives. I am referring to mom & pop consumer types who barely know what an SSD is. That was, and still is my point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.