Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Google is definitely to be commended. I think, for the first time ever, they're starting to get their ducks in order for the Nexus line to take off. It started with the Nexus 7, and it's culminated to this. So, kudos to them for sure.

Having said that, Google still has miles to pave. They need to forge better relations with the carriers so they can get LTE versions out to those who want that. And at this point and time, Google just doesn't have that sort of clout to put a device on a carrier and be in control of its software updates (the debacle with Verizon and the Galaxy Nexus, for example). For Google, if they can't control their own software and updates, there's almost no point in releasing a Nexus device to said carrier. It'll just make customers who buy the Nexus precisely for Google updates angry.

People ought to blame the carriers more than Google, but there's no shying away from the responsibilities; Google must forge relations.

The Nexus brand is, finally, on the right path.

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010
I have been loyal to Apple with my laptops and mobile devices since I got my first iPod Nano about 6-7 years ago (would never consider them for a desktop when you can build a way better computer for half the money... and then install OSX on it if I really wanted to).

However they have just pissed me off lately. The constant petty lawsuits like the bounce back feature at the end of a page when scrolling is just dumb. And that ignorant "apology" on their British website just wreaks of pretentiousness. And I could have dealt with all that crap if iOS wasn't complete crap. Its just so boring and a lot of times unintuitive (like accessing any setting). I bought the original iPad and sold it shortly after because its so locked down that it is barely productive. I then gave them another chance and bought a 3rd gen and was completely disappointed again.

I'm really impressed with what Google has brought to the table recently. Reasonably priced hardware with an OS that is miles ahead of iOS in usability and customization. They're apps for phones are pretty comparable to the iOS market these days. As soon as they can get they're tablet optimized apps better in number and in quality, they will begin to catch up to Apple in marketshare of tablets.

All I can say is Apple, you had your chance to recreate your dominance in the tablet market as you did in the mp3 market but your ignorance is turning it into the smartphone market

Lindenhurst

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
That is your opinion and you're entitled to it but you obviously don't use or haven't used an Android device in the last year. They have come a long way. I use to dislike using Android for a number of reason but it has become a very stable alternative at a very respectable price.

This....This....This

Android does not suck anymore!!!!

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
I agree the competition is great, but have you ever used a nexus tablet? I have, and personally it pales in comparison to an ipad in every way. App selection and hardware build.

App selection and hardware built is not "every way." In fact the Play store and Apple store both have about 700,000 apps now. So that argument is becoming moot.

Nexus 7 still beats the iPad mini in storage capacity and for the less money. Double the storage in fact.

I think Apple will be quite content with the iPad and iOS are progressing.

Seeing my 2 year old interact with my iPad blows me away. Other tablets are not even close to having this usability.

I'm not two years old, but I'm pretty sure your average person could use Android. :rolleyes:

I think the shakeup over at Apple is a clear sign iOS is in some dire straits. It'll be really interesting to see what Ive brings to the "Human Interface." Will we see a radical UI change? I don't think so. So what will Ive bring that Forestall didn't?

I'm excited, but personally, the boat has sailed for me. It'll take quite a bit of [gasp, dare I say it?] catching up on iOS' part to sway me away from Android.

Plus, I just like the humility and humbleness of the fellas over at Google better. :p

I'm really hoping iOS get mass overhaul. They need to stop having it be so limited. Let users do things the way they want and not the way Apple wants you to have it. That just makes consumers zombies rather than end users.

Have to agree and disagree. Whilst the Nexus 10 has a pretty hideous design, the hardware it runs including the screen is superior to that of the iPad 4's in every way.

Specs...Nexus > iPad all the way. I like a nice looking product, but that doesn't cut much anymore.

Same **** different suit.

Ive, Forstall, it doesn't matter. There's an entire team that all contribute towards iOS. It's not the product of one person's idea. Putting Ive in charge won't bring any radical changes I don't think.

If they didn't think having Ive in charger over Forstall wouldn't be a mass change, then why do it? Surely not signing that letter was the sole reason for his departure. I think, well at least I hope, we'll start seeing real change to iOS in the coming versions.

majority of users don't have a clue how to navigate a windows computer or an android phone. Give them OS X and iOS and they can figure it out quickly. His point is the 2 year old probably knows exactly how to use the device, which is an awesome thing.

Unless you have actual proof from studies, that point is moot. I love OS X, but that statement makes you sound like a *cough*fanboy*cough*.

A two-year-old using an iPad doesn't count as a 'study.' ;)

why do you think iPad's have expanded into Education and not androids

The same reason why Macs were popular in schools...Apple gave them discounts.

I can just see iOS in a couple of iterations.

Great now they don't even give you icons for the home screen. :p

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA

Seeing my 2 year old interact with my iPad blows me away. Other tablets are not even close to having this usability.

Dude a two year old will learn and interact with any OS, they are not like us where we go in with notions and bias before hand. Plus they learn differently from us. My son had a laptop with XP on it when he was 3 and he used it sometimes better than me in a day or two.

That has nothing to do with the OS, it is how young kids can learn and adapt far easier and faster than adults.

Plus your statement can only be valid if your 2 year old was given both OS's to try side by side and you took measurements over the interaction.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
I agree the competition is great, but have you ever used a nexus tablet? I have, and personally it pales in comparison to an ipad in every way. App selection and hardware build.

When was the last time you spent serious time, by that I mean several days with Android 4.1 and actually spent time in the Google Play Store or the Amazon Android Market and used apps? I am guessing not recently. Oh and the DISASTER that the new iOS app store is makes the Play Store layout look amazing.

lol, "in every way" another person hitting the dead dog with the apps stick.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
I really don't understand Apple's logic. They make a ton of money on the device AND on the consumption side of things (software). I mean this is OKAY as long as they can get away with it, but I feel that their grip on this high profits on everything will soon fade away as the competition pours from Microsoft and Google.

You don't understand the logic that a company must make money to pay for future product development, payroll and someone please shareholders?

I don't know if you're in the US or not but the Americans purchase items at cost the more production needs to remain or move overseas and that has a deleterious effect your ability to be gainfully employed or your offspring.

There is no free lunch...just $4 coffee.

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 6, 2009
I don't know if you're in the US or not but the Americans purchase items at cost the more production needs to remain or move overseas and that has a deleterious effect your ability to be gainfully employed or your offspring.

I have no idea what you are trying to say.

From a shareholder point of view - yes - maximize profits. Though I didn't specifically acknowledge it in my original post, I never argued with the fact that a company, in general, should maximize profits. All I am saying is it doesn't take a genius (no pun intended) to see that Apple is obviously screwing the customer in a sense - they admit to enormous profits on their hardware that anyone who researches knows is sub-par compared to competition.

Apple is holding on to iOS and their build quality; without it, they wouldn't be able to get away with such high profit margins on their hardware in comparison to other companies.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
I have no idea what you are trying to say.

From a shareholder point of view - yes - maximize profits. Though I didn't specifically acknowledge it in my original post, I never argued with the fact that a company, in general, should maximize profits. All I am saying is it doesn't take a genius (no pun intended) to see that Apple is obviously screwing the customer in a sense - they admit to enormous profits on their hardware that anyone who researches knows is sub-par compared to competition.

Apple is holding on to iOS and their build quality; without it, they wouldn't be able to get away with such high profit margins on their hardware in comparison to other companies.

True but few people really take in where those profits go. If I buy a Nexus 7 I don't have the ability to walk into a Google store...get help, get training or servicing.

Apple sells product at a higher margin because they're got a superior support infrastructure and their products are built to higher standards.

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 6, 2009
Arguably, Apple doesn't need the profits they currently have to maintain good customer service, considering they are sitting on 80+ billion in cash

The Face

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2012
Saying Apple maximises their profits and scews over the customer for their own greed is an understatement. They're making over £426 profit on every iPhone 5 16gb, even more with the other models.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA

Thats a good thing? I would never judge an OS on how a 2 year old car use it. I like features. Lack of features is why I left iOS for Android, give me options and features.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
I will say the os is rather primitive and in no means "mind blowing"

a6uzatup.jpg

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
When was the last time you spent serious time, by that I mean several days with Android 4.1 and actually spent time in the Google Play Store or the Amazon Android Market and used apps? I am guessing not recently. Oh and the DISASTER that the new iOS app store is makes the Play Store layout look amazing.

lol, "in every way" another person hitting the dead dog with the apps stick.

Pretty recently. I even had the current nexus with JB a few months ago. It is good and smooth, but just didn't feel nearly as polished as IOS. Obviously everyone has their own opinions, but that is the way I felt and ultimately why I went back to apple. I tried the nexus q/nexus/nexus tablet set up....it can't even hold a torch to the iphone/ipad/appletv equivalent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.