Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

christof

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 8, 2002
Earth
I ordered 32GB black iPhone 5 for Verizon at no contract full retail price through the Apple Online Store. I changed my mind and decided I wanted a white iPhone.

I went to the Apple Store to return the phone today and learned the 30 day return policy only applied to iPhones that were purchased on contract. Apple kindly waived the 14 day return policy on my no contract full retail price iPhone and made the return to a Gift Card, which I requested since I intended to buy a no contract full retail price iPhone through Apple.

I called another Apple Retail Store to check stock on white iPhone 5 for Verizon and learned that as of today, Sprint and Verizon will not allow Apple to sell no contract full retail price both on the Apple Online Store and in Apple Retail Stores. I'm not sure if this now also applies to AT&T / GSM phones.

I went back to the Apple Store I visited and spoke with the floor manager who assisted my original transaction. He completely understood and spoke with his senior manager in the back. They could cancel the gift card, but they had trouble canceling the original transaction to my original charge card method of payment. They were kind enough to give me cash so that I could purchase my no contract full retail price iPhone elsewhere.

Long story short: Apple was very kind despite this huge change in their ability to sell no contract full retail price iPhone 5... As a Verizon user who desires to retail my unlimited data plan, this is damming. I'll have to purchase through Verizon or Best Buy or another outlet that can sell the device for no contract full retail price.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
That's odd, normally it's Apple who has those companies by the neck. Sprint is even more surprising, Apple has their ass on a leash.

christof

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 8, 2002
Earth
Both of the individuals I spoke with at the other store I called and the retail store I revisited indicated that the decision was likely that of the carriers. Either way, it is pretty surprising. You'll also find that no contract full retail price iPhone is no longer available at the Apple Online Store.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Both of the individuals I spoke with at the other store I called and the retail store I revisited indicated that the decision was likely that of the carriers. Either way, it is pretty surprising. You'll also find that no contract full retail price iPhone is no longer available at the Apple Online Store.

well it's slightly cheaper to just cancel the line anyway

christof

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 8, 2002
Earth
My goal is to retain grandfathered unlimited 4G LTE data on Verizon, so I have to purchase all future equipment, including iPhone 5, at no contract full retail price.

as0016

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
Hmm, I have Verizon, am not eligible for an upgrade or a contract extension, and I was able to go through all of the steps except payment confirmation (I didn't hit the confirmation because I'm not buying it right now) on a full price Verizon iPhone through the apple online store...

christof

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 8, 2002
Earth
Man, Verizon customer service sucks. I placed my account on a suspension, just for precaution after I returned my iPhone to Apple. They tried to charge me a $15 fee to remove the suspension.

Then when I indicated that I wanted to purchase a new iPhone with no contract at full retail price, they indicated that I owed an early termination fee. (I do have a 2 year contract on my account that began with the purchase of iPhone 4S in 2011.) The representative placed me on hold for 1 minute after going at length about the early termination fee for about 5 minutes. She returned to the call, asking me if I wanted to purchase iPhone with no contract at full retail price without any additional fee. Idiots.

It appears you can purchase at no contract full retail price through the Apple Online Store: the no contract full retail price shows after you select the 2 year contract price and keep clicking beyond the purchase process. I'll try conducting a 10 PM purchase tonight for in store pickup for tomorrow; otherwise, I'll wait for Apple to fulfill my order.

----------

Hmm, I have Verizon, am not eligible for an upgrade or a contract extension, and I was able to go through all of the steps except payment confirmation (I didn't hit the confirmation because I'm not buying it right now) on a full price Verizon iPhone through the apple online store...
Yes, I was able to do the same thing. It appears that you can still purchase at no contract full retail price through the Apple Online Store... for now?

At this point, you cannot purchase at no contract full retail price through Apple Retail Stores.

christof

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 8, 2002
Earth
Update: I was able to book a 10 PM purchase of a no contract full retail price iPhone 5 through the Apple Online Store for next day in store Apple Retail Store pickup. We'll see if it truly is in stock and if I'm able to get it tomorrow.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Looking forward to hearing what happens. Why doesn't Apple just start selling unlocked contract free iPhone 5 like they did with the 4s?

imazu

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2012
Couch
Online reservation for iPhone 5 relies on the upgrade eligibility you have with Verizon.
If you're still under contract and don't have upgrade eligibility,Apple site will show the full retail price of the iPhone and will indicate below when is the upgrade eligibility.
If you're contract free it will show the subsidized price of the iPhone

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-10-31 at 2.39.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-10-31 at 2.39.39 PM.png
    179.7 KB · Views: 369
  • Screen Shot 2012-10-31 at 2.41.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-10-31 at 2.41.29 PM.png
    165.1 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:

iTalk

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
ORD
I can confirm that this is indeed the case. Went in to buy a Verizon iPhone 5 as a gift for a family member, and the store had no option of selling it without tying it to an existing account. Such a PITA process, because they had to activate it on my line first. 'Burned' my existing iPhone 5 sim, lost my unlimited data in the process which took multiple calls to Verizon to restore, and program a new sim so we could leave the gift phone unopened. All this hassle for someone who was willing to pay full price. Way to make your customers happy, Verizon

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Sorry for asking a question that might be answered already. So I am a Verizon customer and plan on buying an iPhone 5 at full price ( to keep my ULD ). Will I be able tp buy one at a Apple store or should I buy from a Verizon store.

imazu

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2012
Couch
Sorry for asking a question that might be answered already. So I am a Verizon customer and plan on buying an iPhone 5 at full price ( to keep my ULD ). Will I be able tp buy one at a Apple store or should I buy from a Verizon store.

Is your upgrade eligibility up or not yet?

iTalk

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
ORD

Apple store. If your experience is anything like mine, though, be ready to dial *611 or keep the verizon rep for the apple store on standby - because you will lose your unlimited when they run the transaction through. It can, however, be put back by a verizon rep so in the end you should be good to go. It shouldn't matter whether you're on month-to-month or on a contract w/o upgrade eligibility, IMO, but double check just to be sure

as0016

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
That's exactly what I'm wondering...

Wouldn't matter, it'd likely be the GSM iPhone (or the one that is primarily gsm since both work on GSM) - which means they'd likely sell the one without vzw lte without contract. Wouldn't help those of us on sprint and vzw.

modthispny

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2012
hmm, so this is for those that just want to walk in the store and purchase a phone without using their verizon/spring account/info?

reason i ask, i lost my iphone 5 last weekend and need to buy another one, through the online store by choosing the 'Replace a phone on my account with a new iPhone.' option, it goes through, phone comes up at $849. i assume this method will still work? because come on, if you lose the phone, you wont' be able to buy another one?

g

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
Since the GSM version of the phone is unlocked, I am wondering if they are trying to cut down on those buying the phone for use in Europe where they have compatible LTE bands with the Verizon/Sprint phones. It could just be temporary until the supply is replenished as a lot of people who want contract phones are still waiting for phones.

as0016

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
yea, thats what i was thinking - and perhaps to divert stock to carrier stores since most have not been getting many phones from apple recently.

modthispny

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2012
OP, by this, "I ordered 32GB black iPhone 5 for Verizon at no contract full retail price through the Apple Online Store. I changed my mind and decided I wanted a white iPhone. "

do you mean you went thru the "'Replace a phone on my account with a new iPhone" and apple does not allow this now?

determined09

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
Since the GSM version of the phone is unlocked, I am wondering if they are trying to cut down on those buying the phone for use in Europe where they have compatible LTE bands with the Verizon/Sprint phones. It could just be temporary until the supply is replenished as a lot of people who want contract phones are still waiting for phones.
I called the two apple stores today. The rep stated that this decision was made by apple due to the short supply of iPhones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.