Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rmerani

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2012
At 2 today, I put my phone in my pocket, climbed the stairs, and went to class. I took my phone back out at 2:50, and it had a completely shattered screen. No drop, no damage. Dont believe me if you dont want, but its true.
I contacted Apple- they want me to pay between 150-250. I'm a student, I cant pay that much. I filed a complaint with the BBB. Any ideas as to what I should do? The screen is shattered completely.
What to do?

Attachments

• DSC00512.JPG
    DSC00512.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 5,353

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
Dont take this the wrong way, i just dont know you. Assuming your story is factual..

..you already did option 1 BBB. Option 2, go to a store.. have them look at it. expalin there is no real point of impact on it. If they determine there isnt, then they will fix it. Option 3. Email tim cook.. someone from his staff will call you. In the past i have had more success with them. I.E. when the apple store upgraded my phone i lost unlimited data (att) the staff/manager as swell as applecare/att said it was lost for good. I sent an email to timcook. a lady called and it was resolved in hours. Option 4.. call back be nice and friendly, but demand to speak to management and explain to them your glass was faulty. If that person says no.. ask to speak to their boss/ other remember of management... continue doing that.

im sure you already know this but get a case next time!

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
BS.

I will again tell my story of how i tripped and literally rammed the entire side of my body full force into the side of a Lincoln Navigator THIGH first. What happened to be in my pocket? iphone 5.

Body panel dented, iphone a-ok.

It cost me $50 to get the little dent popped out just so i don't step in poop.

PICK UP AFTER YOUR DOGS PEOPLE!

27453238.jpg

rmerani

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2012
Thanksss..

Dont take this the wrong way, i just dont know you. Assuming your story is factual..

..you already did option 1 BBB. Option 2, go to a store.. have them look at it. expalin there is no real point of impact on it. If they determine there isnt, then they will fix it. Option 3. Email tim cook.. someone from his staff will call you. In the past i have had more success with them. I.E. when the apple store upgraded my phone i lost unlimited data (att) the staff/manager as swell as applecare/att said it was lost for good. I sent an email to timcook. a lady called and it was resolved in hours. Option 4.. call back be nice and friendly, but demand to speak to management and explain to them your glass was faulty. If that person says no.. ask to speak to their boss/ other remember of management... continue doing that.

im sure you already know this but get a case next time!

Do you have Tim Cook's email, or his staff??

Appleseeds

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2012
People he's obviously not be honest the pic doesnt even look like an iPhone 5
The sides look silver like a 4S

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
You smashed your phone. Sorry.

Did that work when you were a kid. "it just broke itself".

There is just a lack of basic morals in society today.

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
Why are you using a $650/750/850 retail phone if you/the person paying for your phone bill can't afford the ~$200 replacement? I'm sorry, but if you use one of these you'll pay a good portion of $200 a MONTH to use it, so why is replacing it at the store not an option? :confused:

alexander25

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2012
Why are you using a $650/750/850 retail phone if you/the person paying for your phone bill can't afford the ~$200 replacement? I'm sorry, but if you use one of these you'll pay a good portion of $200 a MONTH to use it, so why is replacing it at the store not an option? :confused:

Not sure if serious

Jason99kr

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2008
Seattle, WA, USA
So serious. If he can afford the $200 on contract plan, he had better be able to pay the $200 replacement.. if money is THAT tight, why would you even get an iPhone 5? Honestly..

Let say your iPhone 5 screen cracked itself.
and I yell at you since you can't pay $200 for replacement.
How do you feel?

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
I dont.
All these years having an iphone I never had a screen just break on its own.

I did read a thread where a hairline crack occurred and the Apple Genius swapped it out citing this can happen. Looking at the picture of the OP's phone some impact or twisting has happened or the thread has just been created to incite a big debate.

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
I really hope you're a girl, cause those are some long fingernails!

Anyway, it looks like something hit directly on the front of the phone. With stress cracks from faulty glass, it doesn't shatter like that. It just cracks cleanly.

GoSh4rks

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Sounds like you were in a hurry and your shorts pocket carrying the iPhone hit the rail by the stairs?

Even if this was the case, I would suggest that any phone should be built to tolerate this. This or something similar happens all the time, and really should be considered as normal usage.

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
Even if this was the case, I would suggest that any phone should be built to tolerate this. This or something similar happens all the time, and really should be considered as normal usage.

So if I park next to a light pole an open my door into it and scratch and dent the heck out of it, do I get free repairs because that's "normal usage"? If so, tell me where I can go because I want to test that theory.

enophi1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2008
UK
I don't think anything was dropped onto the phone, but it looks like it was dropped from a fairly high height. Or either sat on .

spacehog371

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2003
I have seen an iPhone do something like this before. Out of millions and millions of phones, there are flukes that can happen. People should not be so quick to call BS.

OP, have you dropped it before? It can be damage from previous drop. I think I actually read that dropping it degrades the quality, and if you drop it in the right way, it degrades the quality a lot makes it easy to shatter even in your pocket.

Edit:

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/09/ff-corning-gorilla-glass/all/

"Drop a phone once and the screen may not fracture, but you may cause enough damage (even a microscopic nick) to critically sap its subsequent strength. The next drop, even if it isn’t as severe, may be fatal. It’s one of the inevitable consequences of working with a material that is all about trade-offs, all about trying to create a perfectly imperceptible material."

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.