Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ConCat

macrumors 6502a
If Apple or any company does, I'm sure they will do it for the tax deductions.

That's the asinine thing about it. Because of the tax deductions, every charitable act comes into question. Is it charity for charity sake or is it for the tax deductions? We can't really know, but one thing's certain: People will see what they want to see.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
How is it generous of Apple allowing you to donate your own money? It's convenient, but not generous.

----------

As if I'd post what I do here. I'm like Steve. I give secretly. You should be defending me.

You're confused. The generosity isn't for those who are donating, it's for those who are receiving the donations, and obviously the people who are doing the donating are also generous. I figured I'd put the obvious in there too since you seemed to have missed the obvious this whole time.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
when you make charitable doantions you do get a reciept. you need that receipt to prove that you made the dontation in case you ever get audited by the irs.

The donation is a write off for those who donate. Apple can not write off the doantion on your behalf.

Read the summary again. It says in normal font sized text, if you donate thru Apple, you can not use it for tax deductions.

andrewsd

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
USA/BAYERN(bavaria)
$5 is better then none..

please post a copy of the receipt from your donation.......hope its more than $5

I understand what you may be trying to get at here with your post but every little bit helps.. Lets see your donation?!..

I will not be donating any money as I grew up in Florida and I'm back livig here and have felt with numerous storms but the real reason is because I can't even afford to give a donation of 5 dollars at the moment so of that person only donates five that is still a big help.

Reason I can't donate.. Going broke dealing with my fiancé brain cancer/ brain tumor and neurosurgery. So don't dish on someone who may only donate 5 bucks.
Best of luck to all and stay up beat.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Give me a break!

And the loyalists are already defending Apple! Somehow Apple making it easier for YOU to donate is a major contribution on their part. Pathetic.

Yea and you're on here attacking Apple based on nothing. That's the only pathetic things I'm seeing here. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Tell me, with all this accusing of Apple "not donating," are YOU going to donate anything? If not, then you're in no place to criticize Apple. You're running your mouth with no facts to back it up.

So until you back up your claims with proof, you're just acting like an Apple-hating troll with no concrete proof to support your claims.

Last edited by a moderator:

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
No they don't, the receipt holder of the credit card for the donation gets the write off, not Apple.

This is not the same as donating $2 at Target for homeless people; your credit card statement will show the donation to the red cross, and that counts as a tax receipt in both the USA and Canada.

This is not true.

From the donation page in iTunes :

"The donation will also appear on your credit card statement as a transaction with the iTunes Store."

Attachments

• donate.png
    donate.png
    70.2 KB · Views: 90

Cisco_Kid

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2005
British Columbia
This is not true.

From the donation page in iTunes :

"The donation will also appear on your credit card statement as a transaction with the iTunes Store."

I've donated with both my MC and Visa though iTunes and my statement both times have shown iTunes as a charge and details as the donation to Red Cross.

Royal Bank and Bank of Montreal both show charge details on the statements, yes it's true.

edit--

I filed the CC statements previously in NC and BC for taxes and received the credit.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
As I live in Brazil, I am not able to do donations via the iTunes Store (because my Brazilian iTunes Store account does not support this feature) nor via the Red Cross website (because it requires a US ZIP Code and phone number, both of which I obviously don't have).

Do you people know if there is any other way to donate? Why is it so difficult to make a donation, huh?

SatManager

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Las Vegas
I understand what you may be trying to get at here with your post but every little bit helps.. Lets see your donation?!..

I will not be donating any money as I grew up in Florida and I'm back livig here and have felt with numerous storms but the real reason is because I can't even afford to give a donation of 5 dollars at the moment so of that person only donates five that is still a big help.

Reason I can't donate.. Going broke dealing with my fiancé brain cancer/ brain tumor and neurosurgery. So don't dish on someone who may only donate 5 bucks.
Best of luck to all and stay up beat.

Best wishes to you and your fiancé. My prayers that everything works out so both of you can have a long life together.

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010
I understand that this is a nice thing for Apple to do, as it raises awareness and provides an easy way for people to donate. I get it and I'm grateful really I am. But I really hope they are donating to the effort themselves as well. I would consider it extremely greedy for a profit based company that is doing so well, especially in these very difficult times, to not donate for this tragic event from the pile of money that they will never be able to spend.

That being said I believe Apple is donating. Maybe not even publicly which makes it even more meaningful. I really hope so...

ma2ha3

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2007
at least help cuba or haiti who were affected by sandy too, helping the richest people in the world? Bah.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
No they don't, the receipt holder of the credit card for the donation gets the write off, not Apple.

This is not the same as donating $2 at Target for homeless people; your credit card statement will show the donation to the red cross, and that counts as a tax receipt in both the USA and Canada.

You get a receipt but you missed this part, "This donation may not qualify for any tax deduction or other tax benefits."

Alx9876

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2008
NorCal
Yeah I don't ***** think so.

Apple can go ahead and piss away 100 million dollars in a legal matter but can't donate $20 bucks themselves?

I'll go ahead and pass on this. No thanks.

SatManager

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Las Vegas
at least help cuba or haiti who were affected by sandy too, helping the richest people in the world? Bah.

Seems like some just has to complain about anyone who wants to help others. And the last time I checked not everyone in the USA is rich. Since Cuba still has financial restrictions placed on them, donations just won't ever go there. And how much money has the USA provided Haiti compared to the rest of the world. Maybe you should complain about others first.

----------

You get a receipt but you missed this part, "This donation may not qualify for any tax deduction or other tax benefits."

Because Apple can't provide financial advice to anyone. They don't know your situation. So your donation may or may not qualify.

nutjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2010

If you think everyone, or even the majority of people, in the US are rich, then you don't live in the US.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
People are too cynical here. Just do some quick numbers.

200M accounts.

If 25% donate $10 thats 50M X $10 = $500M dollars.

$500M that goes to the Red Cross..

Why not just concern ourselves with saving $5 in "tax deductions" and kick these victims while they're down.

Some of you are sad examples of human beings.

Moshe1010

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010
Come on cheapasses, you're buying Macbooks, iPads, iPhones, and iPods for hundred of dollars and cannot donate $10 to help people? SHAME ON YOU.

fudge18

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
Laudable as this is if Apple just paid their proper share of taxes the government would be properly resourced for tragedies such as this rather than squirrelling their vast wads of cash abroad to evade the taxman.

paintersforms

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2012
Pennsylvania
Red Cross wants money and blood. That's really creepy when you think about it.

If you give money, how can you be sure that it will be used to help people?

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Fishy. Apple gives you an iTunes receipt. You do not get to write your donation off for tax purposes. It sounds like apple is using this to write your donation off on their taxes.

I somehow doubt that. If they did, they'd bitterly disappoint all the generous donors, and the public at large. I think it has more to do with the anonymity thing, the fact that APPLE won't "share your personal information with the American Red Cross". Realizing how many people visit the iTunes, App or iBook store every day, I believe they are simply raising awareness and donating the use of their direct-payment facilities for a worthwhile cause.

Apple donates a lot, you just don't know about it:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/03/apple-charity-donation_n_1253185.html
This is one example. I'm sure they won't take a single penny from our donations and probably donate some from their own.

I love it when Apple does this. If I mailed a check to the Red Cross, my name would be getting on a list and they'd spend at least 1/2 of what I sent them begging for more. They still may piss away 1/2 the money on begging campaigns, but at least they won't be filling my mail box with their crap. So Thanks Apple, for letting me donate in a secure and anonymous manner and still have confidence that the money will actually make it to the Red Cross.

Totally agree!

The awkward moment when Apple has billions of liquid dollars and will not donate anything. Hypocrisy at its finest.

As noted before, that is quite a cynical view. Also, there is a limit to what they can give in direct financial aid, as in the end, they are accountable to their shareholders for every $ spent.

It's almost as if they're a publicly traded company with the sole purpose of making money for the shareholders! Those heartless bastards. :rolleyes:

Sometimes a little sarcasm is what it takes, to get thru to some people. Well put.

johnnyhow

macrumors regular
May 20, 2008
So, does this work like all other transactions through apple? Where apple get 30% of each donation?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.