Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shawkins002

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2010
Hi

I'm over in the US for 2 weeks and thinking of buying an iPad Mini on Friday. I have a few questions

- There seems to be 3 carrier options - AT&T, Sprint and Verizon. Does that mean they come sim-locked or unlocked?

- Is there any difference in the network technologies in the iPad for each network, or is the iPad the same for each?

- Will they all work in the UK with UK networks - in particular the EE 4G network?

Thanks!

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
Hi

I'm over in the US for 2 weeks and thinking of buying an iPad Mini on Friday. I have a few questions

- There seems to be 3 carrier options - AT&T, Sprint and Verizon. Does that mean they come sim-locked or unlocked?

- Is there any difference in the network technologies in the iPad for each network, or is the iPad the same for each?

- Will they all work in the UK with UK networks - in particular the EE 4G network?

Thanks!

They are unlocked. For LTE compatibility go here: http://www.apple.com/ipad/LTE/

It looks like the Verizon or Sprint option would be best for EE. If you ever plan on using in the US, I would get Verizon before Sprint, due to better LTE coverage with Verizon. The AT&T version will only get you HSPA+ psuedo 4G in the UK, i.e. low end 4G speeds on 3G.

JD92

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2005
Hi

Thanks!

If you're getting a cellular model and plan to use it in the UK then you want to get the Verizon one, as it is the only one which will work on EE's 4G network. All of the US models will work on the UK's 3G networks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.