Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samsonib6

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2009
I have a Pioneer 1400DVD system in my car which has a USB for plugging in the Iphone for charging and audio. I am told with the 4s using AppRadio and AppMode on the radio, the IPhone screen would show on the screen of the system for apps such as Netflix, Waze, etc. This does not work now with the new Lightening cable.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Coming in the next iOS update, apple adds a secret "feature" that detects when you attach a non-approved third party cable or dock and permanently disables the port, when you take it in to the apple store the run a software check and it says you invalidated warranty by attaching a non-approved cable or dock that has "damaged" the phone/ipad, and then attempt to sell you a new phone/ipad

Apple post even more record profits off the sale of iPhones and iPads

Apple stock continues to soar

That would be great!

Why should Apple let anybody make money off of their har work? They can't be the R and D department for an entire industry.

And the miscreants who support the pirates deserve to have their devices bricked permanently.

And meanwhile, Apple stock sets new records. If it wasn't for Apple, this country would be in a recession. Do the Fandroid idiots and pirates ever think?

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
But are they safe?

That is a very good question. I'm not going to be shocked if they aren't and Apple refuses covered service if you come in with a power issue after using one of these knockoff docks or cables.

----------

And if you ARE in the program, you signed a non-disclosure agreement so you can't tell us.

Cause that stopped the case makers, the folks at Foxconn or the component companies etc.

RVdave

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2012
yeah, but apple could slightly change the location in the next phone and throw everyone off

If Apple starts playing games with the after market suppliers, to the detriment of Apple customers, goodbye Apple!

RVdave

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2012
That is a very good question. I'm not going to be shocked if they aren't and Apple refuses covered service if you come in with a power issue after using one of these knockoff docks or cables.

They better be able to attribute the failure directly to the after market device, because there's federal legislation that addresses warranties and after market devices (Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act).

MOKHAN

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2011
Toronto, Canada
The quality of the unlicensed 3rd-party 30-pin cables you get on eBay is, in my experience, very poor. They tend to be quite sensitive (lose the connection on movement, don't work well with dirty/damaged sync ports on devices, etc), and the connectors sometimes fall apart after a few weeks/months of use.

Sure, they're very cheap, and you can buy like 10 or 20 for the price of one genuine cable. But having to replace unreliable cables regularly is pretty annoying.

I just hope that if 3rd parties are making lightning connectors, they ramp up the quality level a lot.

I can't say the same. In my experiences, they've all been perfectly functional.

anonymouslurker

macrumors regular
May 16, 2012
We know Apple hasn't released the spec yet because they are releasing to some partners at the training for it's MFI partners in November; we know this because those partners have said so in various forms. Yes, this is technically speculation because it's not from the original source, but I would file it in the "they have no reason to lie so it's most likely true" folder.

Apple made the Lightning specs available on the MFi portal immediately after the iPhone 5 announcement.

I'd been checking daily for weeks prior, and they were there as soon as the announcement was over.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
And the miscreants who support the pirates deserve to have their devices bricked permanently.

And meanwhile, Apple stock sets new records. If it wasn't for Apple, this country would be in a recession. Do the Fandroid idiots and pirates ever think?
Yes, I do think. I think that I own the hardware I buy, and I can do whatever I like with it. This applies to ALL hardware. Sears can't tell me what kind of nails I can hammer with a Craftsman hammer, Ford can't tell me what type of gas to buy, and neither should Apple tell me what kind of plug I can stick into my phone.

They can void my warrantee, that's fine. Having a good warrantee incentivizes complying with the company policies during the period of the warrantee (and who doesn't love a good incentive). However, you suggest that they should intentionally destroy hardware I own for non-compliance. To say this is absurd and immoral is an understatement. It's flat out disgusting. I own it, end of story. Apple got my money when I bought it, and it's up to me what I do with it afterwards. If they don't feel they got enough the first time, they should charge more the first time. I will not ever feel bad for tampering with my property, and it's fools like you who should do a little bit more thinking.

http://www.theartgalleryofknoxville.com/podcast/powr.broccoli-kopimi.pdf
See point 007.

kopimi_irssi.gif

Apple made the Lightning specs available on the MFi portal immediately after the iPhone 5 announcement.

I'd been checking daily for weeks prior, and they were there as soon as the announcement was over.
Can anyone else confirm this? If so, it's the first I've heard of it. As far as I know, there is no --official-- pin-out of the lightning cable, nor the chip controlling it, nor the spec of the controller chip.

hchung

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2008
We know Apple hasn't released the spec yet because they are releasing to some partners at the training for it's MFI partners in November; we know this because those partners have said so in various forms. Yes, this is technically speculation because it's not from the original source, but I would file it in the "they have no reason to lie so it's most likely true" folder.

We know from iphone5mod.com that sourcing the components (both the exact ones used by apple and 3rd party knock-offs) is easy and there is plenty of them.

Schiller said they are working with some partners, but he failed to mention the depth of level of that work.

That doesn't mean that ALL partners are getting the information in November.
I read that article. That meeting is in China.

Wasn't there a leak of a Scosche-made Lightning cable running around before the iPhone 5 launch? Obviously some partners got it earlier. Looks like they did a better job of keeping to their NDA too.

hchung

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2008
Can anyone else confirm this? If so, it's the first I've heard of it. As far as I know, there is no --official-- pin-out of the lightning cable, nor the chip controlling it, nor the spec of the controller chip.

I'll say it's true. It's also true that I'm not in the MFI program, but I've seen enough to be convinced.

Smigit

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2011
Those docks really ought to add a 3.5mm plug for additional stability. I don't imagine that tiny Lightning connector is anywhere near as stable as the 30-pin.
All they need is a back rest...gravity will do the rest. The lightening connector will be fine if the dock is designed even remotely decently. Look at how many Android docks work fine with micro USB.

I am sorry but what you are suggesting is not very realistic. You are suggesting Apple should've pre-announced the connector (and not the devices using new connector).

Yeah pre-announcing lightening would have been difficult. Even if they had announced the specification in advance, without also offering the dimensions of the devices being produced they are still leaving probably the vast majority of manufacturers in the dark. They should have got the specifications out more shortly after the announcement, thats for sure, but I wouldn't expect it before hand.

It's a shame Apple didn't produce any docks of their own though to tide consumers over.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
I can't say the same. In my experiences, they've all been perfectly functional.

I'm sure there's better quality cables out there if you know where to look (or get lucky!).

But when you're buying knock-offs on eBay, it's hard to know what you're getting exactly. In the case of 30-pins, the cables I got always turned out to be pretty crappy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.