Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oblomow

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
It's November on the International Dateline.[/B]

Welcome to Photo of the Day. The POTD thread was started by iGary in May, 2006 and converted to a monthly thread in November 2007 by Arn. POTD is one of the most popular picture groups on MacRumors, often exceeding 500 posts and 20,000 views per month.

Photo of the Day is intended to be a showcase for your best pictures. There is no limit to your gear, just your imagination. P&S and film cameras are welcome along with DSLRs. There are no themes like the Fortnightly Challenge and Weekly Contest, and no winners (or losers) either.

Policies

*One Photo per Day - Don't post more than one photo each day.

*Quote with Thumbnails - When you quote an image please restore it's thumbnail before replying. You can do this either by installing the AutoTIMG browser extension or by editing the code by hand.

*Multi-Quote - To comment on several photos, click the Multi-Quote button. This puts all your comments in one post. Multi-Quoting is required on all of the MacRumors forums.

*SFW (Safe for Work) only - This is a site - wide rule. If you wouldn't show it in a public place, then it's NSFW (not safe for work). Think before you post.

*Describe your photo - Tell what it is and where you took it. If you know the EXIF data of a photo, include it. The following EXIF fields are recommended: Camera, ISO, Focal Length, Shutter/Aperture and Lens.

*Photography forum tutorials - If you need any help with posting, try one of these tutorials.

Posting Photos to Photo Forums from Flickr and ImageShack

How to Quote, Multi-Quote and Edit Posts

Restoring Thumbnails in Photo Quotes (AutoTIMG Extension and Code Editing)

For One-Click Access, they are all here: Designer Dale's Google Docs Folder:

Note: Anyone may start the Photo of the Day thread on the first of the month GMT. Please copy a quote of this post or download the Welcome file from HERE when you do. Both maintain all the formatting and links.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Easedale Tarn...

sheepie.jpg

DesterWallaboo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2003
Western USA
Photo of my daughter I shot on October 30th..... I shot a family photo with us all being zombies out in this great field, with this industrial section in the distance behind us. And then I shot several single shots inside my studio. This is one of the creepiest ones....

hoABI.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
I learned today that there is only ONE lake in the Lake's District... all the others are meres, tarns or waters.

Call them whatever you will... the Doylem pictures are delicious.

Proper pronunciation is Lake District. When you see Lake's District, it's a possessive spelling. The district belongs to the lake.

Extra credit question: Who was Vinandr?

The Lake District is on my "bucket list".

Dale

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
I learned today that there is only ONE lake in the Lake's District... all the others are meres, tarns or waters.

True... and it's Bassenthwaite Lake. I talk about 'Lake Windermere', which is a bit of a tautology, since lake = mere... but merely to differentiate it from Windermere, the town. As well as the main lakes (16, most folk agree), there are hundreds of smaller bodies of water, mostly known as tarns...

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
As always, any critique appreciated!

On The Fence by acearchie, on Flickr

Photo of my daughter I shot on October 30th..... I shot a family photo with us all being zombies out in this great field, with this industrial section in the distance behind us. And then I shot several single shots inside my studio. This is one of the creepiest ones....

hoABI.jpg

You might want to think about resizing. I can't even fit the whole thing on my screen!

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
Wondering how "someoldguy" is doing. I know he's in the NYC area. Hope he's ok. Been talking with my eldest daughter who lives in Brooklyn and she has come through Sandy unscathed, other than not be able to get to work with the transit situation. Anyway, best wishes to "someoldguy" and all the folks affected by Sandy.

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
Thanks.... Yup , still alive, dodged the bullet ( barely ) again . I'm in one of the 3 small towns in North Jersey that got slammed when the berm on the Hackensack River got breached/overtopped .Water came up fast and caught everyone off guard . My guess is about 80% of the houses had some sort of water damage to their lower levels/basements . All I've got are some shingles blown off , and no power since around 11:30 Monday . Been running off generator since . Got my place and my neighbor running off the one machine . Tuesday morning we had major National Guard , State Police , county , and local mutual aid folks here . Even an airboat . FEMA trucks were around yesterday . The lower parts of town still have some water , might be there until power goes on and the pump stations go back online . Cleanup's going to take some time but everyones pulling together pretty much , Flooding isn't that unusual here , but it's never been like this ( I've been here most of my 63 years , family in town over 100) . Saddened to see what happened to my town , but my heart really goes out to those folks down the Shore and on Long Island .... a lot of those places just got flattened .Suspect the place in my last post looks a lot different now ( it is/was near Atlantic City ...near Exit 39 on the Parkway) . Thanks for thinking of us.

Last edited:

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country
Thanks.... Yup , still alive, dodged the bullet ( barely ) again . I'm in one of the 3 small towns in North Jersey that got slammed when the berm on the Hackensack River got breached/overtopped .Water came up fast and caught everyone off guard . My guess is about 80% of the houses had some sort of water damage to their lower levels/basements . All I've got are some shingles blown off , and no power since around 11:30 Monday . Been running off generator since . Got my place and my neighbor running off the one machine . Tuesday morning we had major National Guard , State Police , county , and local mutual aid folks here . Even an airboat . FEMA trucks were around yesterday . The lower parts of town still have some water , might be there until power goes on and the pump stations go back online . Cleanup's going to take some time but everyones pulling together pretty much , Flooding isn't that unusual here , but it's never been like this ( I've been here most of my 63 years , family in town over 100) . Saddened to see what happened to my town , but my heart really goes out to those folks down the Shore and on Long Island .... a lot of those places just got flattened .Suspect the place in my last post looks a lot different now ( it is/was near Atlantic City ...near Exit 39 on the Parkway) . Thanks for thinking of us.

Having been born in Brooklyn and having lived in NJ a good part of my youth and with ALL of my siblings and most of my cousins still in the NY-NJ area, I was blown away by the devastation. I hung out at the Jersey shore and to see the Seaside boardwalk obliterated and talk to a friend who now lives on the beach and hear of the destruction and devastation just breaks my heart. To all who have been impacted by this deadly storm, my prayers go out daily to all of you! Stay safe and well. You are not alone. SOG, glad you are safe!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.