Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac.ross

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2012
The amount of fanboyish crap in here is astounding.

The facts are that Apple was ordered to put a message on their website specifying the outcome of the ruling and to state that Samsung did NOT copy their designs as they implied.

The message they posted, although amusing, was childish and not what they were ordered to do, thus the court is ordering them to change it.

Simple.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
No, you're the one that has said that they put those additional paragraphs on the homepage following the legal departement advise.

Well I don't know for a fact, but don't you think that a large corporation like this would check the text before it hits the webpage in a case like this? If so, it is surprising that they did not manage to keep the balance, or missed the point of the ruling.

decimortis

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Toronto
I don't understand the resistance to comply. Wouldn't Apple WANT to put this ruling up on their website?

Random Person 1: "Hey I want something like an iPad. Galaxy Tab?"

Random Person 2: "Nope. It says right on Apple's website the Tab is not like the iPad."

Random Person 1: "Oh okay. iPad it is."

CapitalQ

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
take a step back:

Samsung copies Apple

Apple sues

Samsung crys and sends out mocks

Apple sends out mock

--

Who started it? :rolleyes:
According to the relevant UK ruling, Apple started it because Samsung didn't copy Apple.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
The amount of fanboyish crap in here is astounding.

The facts are that Apple was ordered to put a message on their website specifying the outcome of the ruling and to state that Samsung did NOT copy their designs as they implied.

The message they posted, although amusing, was childish and not what they were ordered to do, thus the court is ordering them to change it.

Simple.

^ Bingo.

Sadly people have a twisted delusion that its physically impossible for Apple to be wrong about anything.

Apple-Kool-Aid.jpg

Sep 21, 2011
Yes, because telling the courts to shove it would be a fantastically intelligent move. Afterall it worked for News Corp when they had that little problem with the News of the World. Oh...wait a second...

Look, we're talking about a notice that has to be displayed on a page for 30 days - it's not going to kill Apple to just follow the damn law.

And this is why the country is in the debt it is. People are willing to let the Justice Department waste tax payers money arguing over factual, but butt-hurting, statements.

Then there's the obvious Apple has more money than the USA. Apple are more than within their rights to tell the UKCA to shove it and they should.

napabar

Suspended
Jun 12, 2008
^ Bingo.

Sadly people have a twisted delusion that its physically impossible for Apple to be wrong about anything.

Apple-Kool-Aid.jpg

And some people have the twisted delusion that whenever someone defends Apple, they are a blinded, ignorant, fan-boy.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
The fact is that Apple were ordered to do something, didn't do it correctly so now have to make an amendment.

Last edited by a moderator:

RDStrong

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
Apple should just tell the UK Court of Appeal to shove it.

The government won't let it get out of hand - alienating Apple is the last thing that's good for the British economy.

Apple complied with the order and quoted what the proceedings consisted of. Someone got butt hurt, boo-hoo.
The government would never interfere with the British justice system, and I am sure the judge would love that not-so-subtle threat.

As a previous poster said the UK justice system is very inconsistent and unbalanced.
I assume you mean it is only inconsistent and unbalanced if it doesn't go Apple's way, but fair and just if it does.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
And some people have the twisted delusion that whenever someone defends Apple, they are a blinded, ignorant, fan-boy.

There's a big difference between defending and blindly following, despite the proof provided.

Sep 17, 2007
If Apple is above the law, then so should Samsung or any other corporate entity. Are you suggesting that countries should not have laws that govern the behavior of corporations ? No IP laws, no tax laws, nothing at all to prevent corporations from abusing either citizens or other corporations ?

Corporatism, the new form of government. :rolleyes:

Yep. Can see from the attitudes on this thread and the location of the posters why America is in such dire straits.

Equally ashamed at my fellow Brits suggesting Apple should be above the law (though it is school holidays over here this week).

HelveticaRoman

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011

The government won't let it get out of hand - alienating Apple is the last thing that's good for the British economy.

Apple complied with the order and quoted what the proceedings consisted of. Someone got butt hurt, boo-hoo.

As a previous poster said the UK justice system is very inconsistent and unbalanced.

How is alienating Apple harmful to the UK economy: it's not like they pay any tax there?

napabar

Suspended
Jun 12, 2008
The US court said that Galaxy Tab didn't copy Apple patent designs.

Perhaps you have not read nor the UK ruling nor the USA ruling.

It found patent violations against Samsung. It shows a pattern of abuse.

FNi

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2011

Wow, you're very misinformed about your own country.

The government won't let it get out of hand for fear of alienating Apple? Even if this were remotely true, Apple is one of the UK's biggest tax avoiders, so why would they care? You think the government hasn't got bigger things to worry that they can go to war against the British legal system over an American company? Yeah, that will win them support...

And for the record, the UK justice system is one of the most consistent and balanced systems in the world. A few fringe articles within our agenda heavy press doesn't change that fact.

pennbank

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2008
I reside in the UK and use the apple UK site but have not yet seen this so called
Statement Its never been shown on their UK home page.

sseaton1971

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2012
Read the ruling and you will see what the court ordered to put on the homepage

Can you please provide a direct link to the ruling where the court told Apple exactly what to post? I looked through the ruling that was linked from the Apple UK page, and I only saw the conclusion where the court says there was no infringement. I am just curious about the wording.

In regards to what Apple did post... I think it is funny. Nobody is going to read it and come to any other conclusion than what they already believe. Apple fans will think Apple got ripped off... Samsung fans will think there was no infringement... and most others will probably think there was at least some infringement but could give crap! ;)

mac.ross

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2012
I reside in the UK and use the apple UK site but have not yet seen this so called
Statement Its never been shown on their UK home page.

It was posted at the bottom of the page in the smallest font size they were legally allowed to use.

'Samsung/Apple UK Judgement'

It's located to the left of the 'Choose your country or region' box.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.