Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sep 21, 2011
The government would never interfere with the British justice system, and I am sure the judge would love that not-so-subtle threat.

Fantasy land? The government will do what it wants and when it wants if it believes it's in the "best interests".

Alienating a corporation as large as Apple would not be favourable to the country at all.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
Whoops! This is too funny. I love Apple's snarky "apology", but the UK courts didn't find it amusing. I guess we'll be seeing 2 notices on Apple's site: one for the UK's ridiculous (in my opinion) demand, and another for the German and US court ruling...Hmm, can'twait to see Apple's approach here.

Haha, now I really wish Steve Jobs was here for this. I wonder if he would've gone "thermonuclear" on the UK courts and said: "Screw that. We'll pull the iPad from Britain entirely." I doubt it, but that would've rocked! (even if it makes NO business sense) :p

JBaker122586

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought Apple was making a mockery of the judge's ruling in the current "apology".

The original ruling was a mockery.
Apple never posted on their website that Samsung copied the iPad.
Apple never took out advertisements in the UK saying that Samsung had copied the iPad.

Therefore, a legal ruling them forcing them to post on their website and pay to take out advertisements saying Samsung didn't copy the iPad is ludicrous. Dismiss the case, or at worse, assess Apple some monetary damages to pay to Samsung for their court costs.

The fact that such a ruling is legal in the UK is frankly pretty surprising to me. The judicial system seems to have absolute power.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Can you please provide a direct link to the ruling where the court told Apple exactly what to post? I looked through the ruling that was linked from the Apple UK page, and I only saw the conclusion where the court says there was no infringement. I am just curious about the wording.

Finally I should say something about the notice itself. We heard no discussion about that. Plainly Judge Birss's Schedule has been overtaken by events. Subject to anything that may be submitted by either side I would propose the following:
On 9th July 2012 the High Court of Justice of England and Wales ruled that Samsung Electronic (UK) Limited's Galaxy Tablet Computers, namely the Galaxy Tab 10.1, Tab 8.9 and Tab 7.7 do not infringe Apple's registered design No. 0000181607-0001. A copy of the full judgment of the High court is available on the following link [link given].
That Judgment has effect throughout the European Union and was upheld by the Court of Appeal on ….. A copy of the Court of Appeal's judgment is available on the following link […]. There is no injunction in respect of the registered design in force anywhere in Europe.

Paragraph 87 http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2012/1339.html

PVisitors

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
Not quite sure what is wrong with quoting the judge's judgment in verbatim. Prepare to see only the final (US and German courts) paragraph disappear.

It's the High Court's problem for giving such a baffling reason why Samsung don't infringe. It's only being demanded to be removed by the CA because quite simply, Judge Robin is embarrassed by Judge Birrss rationale in the High Court.

BadBabi

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2012
Well, Apple's legal department. Are you implying that they are incompetent?

I wouldn't say they are incompetent, just unbelievably childish. The incompetent title goes to the web designers.. 2 weeks seriously?

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Fantasy land? The government will do what it wants and when it wants if it believes it's in the "best interests".

Alienating a corporation as large as Apple would not be favourable to the country at all.

Why would the government interfere? If Apple pulled out of the UK it would have next to no impact on the government as they avoid tax anyway, so the government wouldn't loose a penny.

Since you're so confident about this, would you care to share a few examples of the government interfering in a high profile case with a US corp?

moxxey

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
Bollocks! They did what the court ordered.

It's amazing how Apple fans still act like Apple is the same (underdog) circa 1997 and needs all the help and backing we can offer. Fans get heated when the "underdog" doesn't appear to get a fair hearing, as if all the big boys are seeking to bring down the company.

Seriously, it's amazing to see the same kind of approach I used to see in 1997, when it was Apple v Microsoft (et all). Fans forget that Apple is the biggest company worldwide, has billions of cash and can afford the best lawyers in the business. And fail to see that Apple has now become the bully :)

Hitch08

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2008
The only thing the judge should be surprised at is how he came to his verdict in the first place. Does that mean that counterfeit merchandise is fine, because it's not as cool s the real thing!

Samsung copied them, it was blatant. E mails flew about internally giving explicit instructions to copy Apples design, Google warned them to stop it, and yet they didn't because it wasn't as cool as the real thing? Goodness how ridiculous.

As a UK Citizen, doesn't surprise me though, our legal system is inconsistent and shambolic.

I'd go as far to say that Judge Robin Jacob is possibly embarrassed by the fact Apple showed the world how ridiculous the judgement was, by simply quoting the judgement. It's his pride that's taking a knock, and that's why he's outraged.

I think you are dead on accurate. I find it bizzare that the Court ordered them to post something in the first place.

livingston

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
Well after skimming through the ruling, I've gotta say Apple was pretty dumb about this.

They should have just said what the judge told them to. It really wouldn't have made them look bad, or made them lose customers because frankly no one cares about the outcome of this case other then ppl on forums.

But now, Apple looks stupid, and a story like this might make them look bad since it has all the makings of a mainstream type of story.

All that being said, I still think Apple is way more mature and classy than Samsung.

erzhik

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2010
To anyone defending Apple:
Stop it, stop it right now please. Apple was clearly making fun of the ruling and Samsung with their original statement. Apple is not a 10 year old child, they are a billion dollar company and should act like one instead of acting like a butthurt brat. Apple got what was coming to them. This wasn't some child's play, this was a court ruling and they should've followed that (no, their initial apology is not following that order, how about you read up that statement and court's order). If I was the judge in that case, I would've fined them for that as well. Apple has more than 1 lawyer, I am damn sure if all those lawyers put their collective minds together, they can write a normal, legal apology without taking up 2 weeks. Christ, college students write thesis papers in less than that.

RDStrong

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
Not quite sure what is wrong with quoting the judge's judgment in verbatim. Prepare to see only the final (US and German courts) paragraph disappear.

It's the High Court's problem for giving such a baffling reason why Samsung don't infringe. It's only being demanded to be removed by the CA because quite simply, Judge Robin is embarrassed by Judge Birrss rationale in the High Court.
Probably because they were ordered to print and post only the following:

"On 9th July 2012 the High Court of Justice of England and Wales ruled that Samsung Electronics (UK) Limited's Galaxy Tablet computers, namely the Galaxy Tab 10.1, Tab 8.9 and Tab 7.7 do not infringe Apple's registered design 000181607-0001. A copy of the full judgment of the High Court is available via the following link [insert hyperlink]."

reasonosx

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2011
Glasgow
I was surprised when the ruling and appeal ruling went against Apple. But then again I was surprised when the company beat the Beatles on the issue of the Apple trademark for music-related activity.
The British (in this case the English and Welsh) courts decide on issues of British law. Apple would have been better advised not to try to be smarmily smart. The average high-ranking British judge is "cool" as in they do "get" irony and they're not easily impressed by gauche one-upmanship.
The UK is an important market for Apple and an important source of talent for its iTunes store and, of course, its industrial design (and thankfully now also its human interface) activities.
But it appears there's a very great deal that it doesn't know about the UK ... as even a cursory glance at its Maps app will confirm.

Sep 21, 2011
Wow, you're very misinformed about your own country.

Yes, totally misinformed. /sarcasm

The government won't let it get out of hand for fear of alienating Apple? Even if this were remotely true, Apple is one of the UK's biggest tax avoiders, so why would they care? You think the government hasn't got bigger things to worry that they can go to war against the British legal system over an American company? Yeah, that will win them support...

Because making a corporation pay tax becomes so much easier when you go and alienate them. It'll only give them more incentive to opt out wherever and whenever they can, the relationship would become strained.

And for the record, the UK justice system is one of the most consistent and balanced systems in the world. A few fringe articles within our agenda heavy press doesn't change that fact.

It's still inconsistent and unbalanced, even the judges that hand down the judgements say it. Take a Google, look at today's news, think back to the riot judgements. etc etc

livingston

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
To anyone defending Apple:
Stop it, stop it right now please. Apple was clearly making fun of the ruling and Samsung with their original statement. Apple is not a 10 year old child, they are a billion dollar company and should act like one instead of acting like a butthurt brat. Apple got what was coming to them. Apple has more than 1 lawyer, I am damn sure if all those lawyers put their collective minds together, they can write a normal, legal apology without taking up 2 weeks. Christ, college students write thesis papers in less than that.

I have to admit they stooped top Samsung level. That's pretty sad.

TheMacPotato

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2006
London
Apple have been ordered to make the homepage link at least 11pt text too. I notice the current one (10px) has a class name of ".sosumi" ....hmm

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
I wouldn't say they are incompetent, just unbelievably childish. The incompetent title goes to the web designers.. 2 weeks seriously?

The ruling itself is unbelievably childish. I don't think the update itself takes two weeks, but preparing the new text, finding time to do it and make the update, with some added margin in a large organization doesn't sound unreasonable.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
The ruling itself is unbelievably childish. I don't think the update itself takes two weeks, but preparing the new text, finding time to do it and make the update, with some added margin in a large organization doesn't sound unreasonable.

You're kidding, don't you?

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
The more news I hear about this, the more I don't like Samsung. Even if Samsung didn't do anything and it was the judge, I still look at Samsung to blame. I'm sure others do too.

If anything, Samsung should just say forget about it as it makes them look worse now.

tatonka

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2009
No matter who is right or wrong legally here .. comparative advertisement always leaves a very bad taste in my mouth .. never was a fan of the i am a mac commercials and I don't like this childish BS either.

That said .. Samsung is not a stranger to this type of marketing either, which is no better, even if they come from the underdog position.

T.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.