Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
What about Subler???? You are always a big proponent.:confused:

I referred to the three apps listed - of course, the (fourth, non-listed) Subler is the best in most cases :)

----------

Subler doesn't convert MKV container to MP4 container does it?! I use it all the time for tagging only... If it can switch container does it keep the file the same size? I do not want to shrink the file or mess with structure. Thanks

It does remux. The mp4 and mkv containers have roughly the same size assuming the same elementary streams.

JMEANS

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2012
Cool I will try SUBLER to switch the container first then !! Awesome thanks so much!! Jim

JMEANS

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2012
Thanks man, ha ha, you read my mind. now my interest is peaked! wondering now what other file extensions SUBLER can convert for my ATV2? I will seek out your posts for sure!

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Thanks man, ha ha, you read my mind. now my interest is peaked! wondering now what other file extensions SUBLER can convert for my ATV2? I will seek out your posts for sure!

Only MKV files.

Use AviDemux 2.6 to convert from AVI's. (It can also remux MKV's or MTS'es but without subtitle or other auxillary tracks like AVCHD timecode; this is why Subler or MP4Tools are preferred when converting from MKV's.)

JMEANS

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2012
well i tried Subler and keep getting a RED STOP SIGN from the MKV file. The file originally has only the 5.1 audio, so i added that audio track again to get a 2 channel stereo track, however couldn't change it from the 5.1 ?! Either way i couldn't get a successful remux : ( tried 3 MKV files I downloaded off PB with no success. The MKV files look and work perfect thru VLC but the goal here is to remux so i can view on my ATV. What am i doing wrong?

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
well i tried Subler and keep getting a RED STOP SIGN from the MKV file. The file originally has only the 5.1 audio, so i added that audio track again to get a 2 channel stereo track, however couldn't change it from the 5.1 ?! Either way i couldn't get a successful remux : ( tried 3 MKV files I downloaded off PB with no success. The MKV files look and work perfect thru VLC but the goal here is to remux so i can view on my ATV. What am i doing wrong?

Verify that your mkv's contain the h.264 codec using Media Inspector.

JMEANS

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2012
Thanks I will, and if they are h.264 would there be another reason? Just curious

Now if they aren't would iVI be a good alternative? I tried MP4Tools and it took forever and I noticed audio sync issues : (
Thanks in advance for any additional suggestions - JIM

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Thanks I will, and if they are h.264 would there be another reason? Just curious

Now if they aren't would iVI be a good alternative? I tried MP4Tools and it took forever and I noticed audio sync issues : (
Thanks in advance for any additional suggestions - JIM

If you are using ML, you should probably look through this thread as it appears to be a similar issue and was finally resolved.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1478588/

Frankly, downloads can have some funky stuff in them which is hard to track down.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Yeah still driving Snow Leopard though... will give iVI a try!

I don't really recommend iVI. Try using iFlicks - it's better than iVI at mkv's and has a trial version.

Btw, was it the beta version of mp4tools that you used, or the official (and not recommended) one?

----------

Red stop may have meant BD subs. Check what's in the mkv. If there are indeed BD subs, remove them or convert toVobSubs or srt's first. Feel fe to post a MediaInfo screenshot here if you're not sure about all this.

Last edited:

JMEANS

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2012
Oh boy, well I am not sure what version of MP4Tools I'm driving... Another thing with it too is not only was the audio out of sync the volume was wicked low as well?! File certainly seemed drastically altered from the original MKV file.

As far as the red stop I bet you that is what the hiccup is with the downloaded MKV's I have (I hope) because i know they are H.264 because it was in the description of the download and they are MKV files which have ti be right?

anyway I will check the files with Media inspector I guess or is there a way in SUBLER to see if there are subs? When I load the MKV file it just lists Video H.264, Audio Ac3 5.1, Chapter track

Really want to use SUBLER but worst case I guess I can try iFlicks, so thanks so much again !

Dc2006ster

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
Alberta, Canada
Check your tv manual. I can save mkv files on a USB key and play them on my TV or I can stream them ( using EyeConnect) to my tv from my Mac. No converting of any kind.

Or if you have a PS3, you can use PS3 Media Server to view the mkv movie on your TV via the PS3 and it will do any necessary conversions as it streams. Also this allows you to copy the file onto the hard drive in the PS3.

Last edited:

JMEANS

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2012
Btw, was it the beta version of mp4tools that you used, or the official (and not recommended) one? .

Yes I was using the official NOT GOOD so I got the BETA. And I got 2 files to remux perfectly!! No audio issues and size and quality the same as the original MKV!! Thank you so much for the heads-up!!

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Yes I was using the official NOT GOOD so I got the BETA. And I got 2 files to remux perfectly!! No audio issues and size and quality the same as the original MKV!! Thank you so much for the heads-up!!

Yup, the beta is way better than the official - this is why I don't recommend the latter at all.

icanic

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2009
Definetly the best and fastest software for MKV to MP4 on OSX is iFlicks.
Just choose preset "iTunes compatible" and enjoy!!

It adds subtitles automatic but you need to have subtitle in movie folder:

movie.mkv
movie.eng.srt

Just drag movie.mkv into iFlicks and subtitle is added automaticly.

http://youtu.be/Yrn8ahtAy2U

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Definetly the best and fastest software for MKV to MP4 on OSX is iFlicks.

Well, I've benchmarked all OS X remuxers on my MBP (both with a HDD and a Vertex 4 SSD) and found iFlicks considerably (about 5 times / 3 times) slower than Subler / MP4Tools beta, respectively.

That is, I'd give a try to the latter two first. (And, of course, start with Subler as it's absolutely free and THE fastest.)

kernow10r

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2013
i have been using handbrake for a while now with no problems except the time it takes to convert for Apple TV. I have just started using MKV2M4V and MP4 Tools for muxing but have run into a strange problem. Both programs have failed to mux the last 10 minutes of 2 different movies. Hope someone can help. Thanks.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
i have been using handbrake for a while now with no problems except the time it takes to convert for Apple TV. I have just started using MKV2M4V and MP4 Tools for muxing but have run into a strange problem. Both programs have failed to mux the last 10 minutes of 2 different movies. Hope someone can help. Thanks.

1, MKV2M4V isn't as robust / powerful as, say, Subler or even the latest betas of MP4Tools. I wouldn't personally use it - there are better choices. (See https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1504900/ for more info & comparisons.)

2, are you sure you have the latest version of MP4Tools?

3, can you post an example MKV, with which these tools fail? You could just radically downsize the video track via Handbrake and overwriting the video track of the MKV file with the converted video track (assuming the results are still incompatible with the remuxers) so that the upload file becomes manageable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.