Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
How many times are people going to say this? It's not specifically a better choice because it's bigger.

heh heh, because those folks are not in a market to buy a small tablet. Their idea of value is the traditional American value, bigger is better and more valuable. Unfortunately in mobile world smaller and lighter is better.. I have an Ipad 3 and I am seriously thinking about getting an Ipad mini because of the lighter weight and smaller size..

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Did they actually confirm that the two speakers are being fed stereo content and not dual mono? Not that it would be easy to tell with them so close together.

The iPad 2 does fine with that memory

Not for having multiple tabs open in Safari.

RedRaven571

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2009
Pennsylvania
Because people were under the incorrect assumption that the iPad mini was going to be a "budget iPad" for people who didn't really want a smaller screen, but were willing to make do with one in order to save a few hundred bucks. These people cant accept the fact that they were wrong. These people also have not paid attention to anything apple has done in the past 7-8 years.

The one I am purchasing for my daughter is $170 less than the full size iPad:

32GB WiFi iPad Mini - $429
32GB WiFi iPad (4th gen) - $599

All discussion of retina vs. non-retina, A5 vs. A6, etc. aside, that's a sizable chunk of change for some folks.....

technopimp

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
Why do they always have to "confirm" the specs of any new Apple device? Do they think Apple is somehow publishing false specs? I mean, they specifically stated it has an A5 in it. Why does iFixit need to "confirm" that?

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
Why do they always have to "confirm" the specs of any new Apple device? Do they think Apple is somehow publishing false specs? I mean, they specifically stated it has an A5 in it. Why does iFixit need to "confirm" that?

Because Apple doesn't really release the specs. "A5" is a type of chip, but won't say what speed its running at, or how much memory it has ("A4" had 256 or 512...)

JForestZ34

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2007
And to think all these apple fans saying they would never buy anything with Samsung components again. Lol

James

EmpireITtech

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012

Probably bc that's just what their "break down" articles are for...and technically, they are "confirming" it bc until they open it, it's just hearsay =]

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Did they actually confirm that the two speakers are being fed stereo content and not dual mono? Not that it would be easy to tell with them so close together.

Exactly. Two speakers isn't the same as Stereo.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
A dramatic move, bur probably the only way to perceive the stereo output.

Minimal separation....kind of useless, IMO. :D
That's not at all true.

You could get two stethoscopes and only use one of the two earpieces of each.

You could place a wedge between the speakers and direct sound to each side.

You could get two microphones and transmit each one's signal to a separate ear.

You could place the Lightning port on the bridge of your nose.

You could buy three minis, disable the left speaker on one, the right on another, and watch the third while holding the other two up to the corresponding ear.

Seriously, I am sick and tired of people saying you won't be able to hear stereo from one of these things without the use of headphones; clearly, there are many simple ways to do so.

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
Having stereo speakers is a big deal, not because you'll hear true stereo, but because you won't be getting a summed mono output. If anything this will help the clarity of the sound.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
That's not at all true.

You could get two stethoscopes and only use one of the two earpieces of each.

You could place a wedge between the speakers and direct sound to each side.

You could get two microphones and transmit each one's signal to a separate ear.

You could place the Lightning port on the bridge of your nose.

You could buy three minis, disable the left speaker on one, the right on another, and watch the third while holding the other two up to the corresponding ear.

Seriously, I am sick and tired of people saying you won't be able to hear stereo from one of these things without the use of headphones; clearly, there are many simple ways to do so.

Now that is thinking differently.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
And to think all these apple fans saying they would never buy anything with Samsung components again. Lol

That's quite difficult to do in practice. I've tried to avoid Sony products for several years because their current business motto seems to be "okay, now you're going to bend over further, and you're going to tell us you like it" - but they've got their fingers in so many pies it's unreal.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Queue up the masturbatory chant, "iPad 2 res, A5 chip and 512mb RAM...," uttered by the smug, superior set who derive a real sense of satisfaction knowing that each one of them is but one of a handful of people exclusively possessing adequate brains which tell them to forego this gen 1 iPad mini, and that one must be an ignoramus to be able to delude oneself into believing that "iPad 2 res, an A5 chip and 512mb RAM" could ever be considered useful or enjoyable in a new device.

Chant, chant, chant... here they come. :rolleyes:

scott911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2009
sound is important too.

on my soap box again:

So many people immensely value the display - but at the same time, never seem to give a thought about sound. I really, really want future iOS products to have better sound.

ideas:
* invest in quality components. Much, much more seems to be spent on cardboard packaging than speakers - up the game apple!

* think differently about orientation. Speaker will probably never be where they should be - in the front face - but maybe there's a better way to get them to work.

* stereo separation... I'm not too worried about this. I just want to hear clearly when using a mobile / portable experience.

sausy

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2012
All the tiny detailed elements in the unibody are remarkable, beautiful even.

extricated

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Arkansas
The only advantage I see with going "stereo" is you don't run across issues resulting from volume compensation when combining channels. It doesn't happen often, but I notice a definite degredation in sound on certain tracks that have very different left and right channels. In that respect, stereo is an improvement for sure.

That said, I'm normally docked or using headphones, but still ...

There is advantage in not converting to mono and slightly better quality, but no benefit in terms of being able to distinguish between channels (due to speaker proximity).

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I actually think they should kill off the iPad 2. Its still more expensive than the mini brand new and only marginally cheaper than the retina, and it lacks Siri. It sticks out like a sore thumb. Seems like a solution looking for a problem to me.

There was a time when Apple took an outdated Lisa/Mac XL's and just buried them in a landfill.

http://applemuseum.bott.org/sections/computers/lisa2.html

My iPad2 is still going strong, but I have ordered the iPad4. The iPad2 is going to my kid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.