Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
its a specific question about these two games, but i guess it might affect other games in the future.

at the minute i've a mac mini with a busted dvd drive, but im about to replace it with a mac mini with no drive.

theres a couple of games that i want to buy that i could buy to download online, but daftly its far cheaper to pay for a disc and box and postage from uk.

football manager 2013. steam euro price €50. amazon uk, 29 pound.

starcraft 2. blizzard.com 39 euro. amazon uk, 18 pound.

any obvious way of getting both onto my new mini? since the FM 2013 has to be registered on steam anyway to play it, do i have to install it from disc first or can i just type in the retail key and download it? could i install it on another machine and match it to my steam account and then play it?

with starcraft can i install the free trial version and use the key from the retail box to register it as the full version?

labars

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2011
You can just register you Starcraft II key on battle.net, and then download the game client from there, no disc needed. So go right ahead and get SC2 from amazon.

As for the other games, I have no idea.

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2011
If you own any other Apple computers, you could use the remote disc feature to share the disc drive across your network.

Otherwise, a USB optical drive would be your best bet (after what labars stated)

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
FM13 uses steam for authentication, just registers the key in the box on steam and then it will appear in your library and you can download it.

Also do what the guy above said with Starcraft, you can download it from your battle.net account once you have registered the game key.

I recently bought XCOM because it was cheaper in a box, same thing as above, entered the activation in steam and then just downloaded the game from there. Most games now will use a service like this, I think the only time there wouldnt be a download is with an obscure older title.

EDIT: If you REALLY want a DVD drive then you can get an external USB one for around £20.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
If you own any other Apple computers, you could use the remote disc feature to share the disc drive across your network.

Otherwise, a USB optical drive would be your best bet (after what labars stated)

so i can install on my mini from the wife's macbook drive?

N33t

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2011
You can just register you Starcraft II key on battle.net, and then download the game client from there, no disc needed. So go right ahead and get SC2 from amazon.

This is what I did for SCII and it works perfect. Also works for other Blizzard titles (e.g. WoW, DIII and even some old stuff like Warcraft 3).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.