Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Dougler

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Mine is on order, but I'm going to try and use it for notes in business meetings. Currently I carry a notebook, but I find I end up with notes in 5 different books that do not follow any logic. I'm hoping I can find a note taking app that will sync with google docs etc, so that I can have my meeting notes at my finger tips when on my desktop.

seajay96

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2010
Do you have a stylus for this? If so, where'd you get it? One of those might make my choice on whether to get an iPad or not a lot easier...

EDIT: Just looked it up, they're everywhere lol. I have no idea why I didn't think about this before.

They are everywhere and I've gone through about a dozen or so until I found one that I really like. I use a Kensington Virtuoso stylus/pen combo. But, like a good quality pen, a good quality stylus is a very personal item. Either you like it or you don't.

stuaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
I never thought of using a stylus to take handwriting notes on an iPad. Just assumed everyone types on it ether via the on screen keyboard or a separate keyboard.

Think I might google some stylus pens for iPads lol.

mike693

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2011
I use Drafts and SimpleNote using the on-screen iPad keyboard.

Drafts has cursor keys.

SimpleNote syncs well to my iPhone and Mac.

royalswish

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2012
I use Notes plus for Note Taking and iAnnotate for highlighting PDF/eBooks. Definitely recommend it.

babybanana

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2010
UK
Do you think it'd be silly if I get myself an ipad mini as opposed to the ipad 4?

I'm going to use it at uni but possibly once a week for school work. I meet up with one of my lecturers, and it's much easier if I take my ipad to this 20 minutes meet up and discuss my work. (I'll have a book but it's pdf form that she printed out for us and it's easier to use the ipad if I'm going to ask her about one question rather than taking the whole book in.)

But otherwise I'd be using it to watch shows like TBBT and play games mostly to be honest. Not going to be 3G as most places have wifi now.

Just want to make sure I make the right decision really.

SunnyRenegade33

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2012
Not really. I write faster than I type on my iPad. Plus, as a finance/economics major, there are a lot of abstract graphs and equations I'm constantly drawing and writing. I prefer the good old hand writing technique when it comes to note taking in University. Although, the iPad serves as a great tool for recording lectures and referring back to them --both visually and audibly.

Usually, what I end up doing is pulling up the PowerPoint on my iPad -- that way I can follow up on what the professor is teaching and not worry about missing notes or falling behind during the lectures.

Last edited:

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
I just both a stylus and an external keyboard, depending on the situation. Both are great enhancements to the iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.