Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
So long as both XBOX and PlayStation don't come out out of the gates with some ridiculous price for these consoles, then I'll definitely pick up both. My guess is that they will though for whatever reason. I couldn't fathom paying $600 for the PS3 when it first came out however $250-$300 is reasonable IMO.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
On the subject of fragmentation and updating current gen consoles. I was reading a fanciful article featuring a next gen console wish list. One of the wishes was for upgradable systems, much like we get with PC's. I cannot for one second see it happening, but it is a though. Would anyone here be happy with that? I obviously see a lot of problems with it but it would allow the next gen to run a lot longer.

So long that licensed hardware meets a minimum spec and always maintains a minimum performance level, then there shouldn't be a problem. We could easily live with upgradeable consoles, or at least scalable consoles. It's sort of like that with the PSP and Vita (Playing PSP on Vita: better analogue stick, secondary stick support mapped to the face buttons, better performance etc).

I can't imagine the next gen supporting it. Maybe the one after will.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
England
So long that licensed hardware meets a minimum spec and always maintains a minimum performance level, then there shouldn't be a problem. We could easily live with upgradeable consoles, or at least scalable consoles. It's sort of like that with the PSP and Vita (Playing PSP on Vita: better analogue stick, secondary stick support mapped to the face buttons, better performance etc).

I can't imagine the next gen supporting it. Maybe the one after will.

It could also allow the base model to be sold at a lower price, giving more people the chance to jump on board, which is good news for everyone.

Anyway, my wish list includes
-support for 4k (don't need it now, will in 6 years, maybe)
-everything to be released simultaneously on Blu Ray and digital (fully expect this to happen)
-a lot more ram for those highly detailed, beautiful, indistinguishable from real life open end environments. Can't claim to know too much about RAM in consoles but from what I have read I believe it would be beneficial for the ram not to be pooled like it has on the ps3.
-I want a big glossy sexy PS4 console, available in black and white from day one. (Highly doubt this because, unlike apple, sony cannot guarantee that they shift decent amounts of either colour, if they misjudge demand they are in a whole world of trouble)

Please chime in with your wish lists. And feel free to rip mine to pieces. :)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Please chime in with your wish lists. And feel free to rip mine to pieces. :)

Okay!

-support for 4k (don't need it now, will in 6 years, maybe)
Let's get full HD and 3D running smoothly first.

-everything to be released simultaneously on Blu Ray and digital (fully expect this to happen)
Already the case with the Vita, and Nintendo are apparently following suite. I full expect this too.

-a lot more ram for those highly detailed, beautiful, indistinguishable from real life open end environments. Can't claim to know too much about RAM in consoles but from what I have read I believe it would be beneficial for the ram not to be pooled like it has on the ps3.
Meh. Consoles don't need as much as computers do. They're a lot more optimised. I imagine 1gb will be the minimum for next-gen machines but they really don't need a lot.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
England
4K for PS4, according to an unnamed source.
http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/consoles/playstation-4-to-come-with-4k-support-1093220

To be honest, I can see it happening. Sony are always trying to be the first to push through the latest advancement, they are about the only company serious about 3D content. I know there are a lot of people saying that 4K is pointless, but I have to disagree, 3D would be greatly improved, just like at the cinemas if they do it right. That alone is enough to sell 4K to me. I would also guess that it would minimise the 'tearing' you get with some 1080p content.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/consoles/playstation-4-to-come-with-4k-support-1093220

To be honest, I can see it happening. Sony are always trying to be the first to push through the latest advancement, they are about the only company serious about 3D content. I know there are a lot of people saying that 4K is pointless, but I have to disagree, 3D would be greatly improved, just like at the cinemas if they do it right. That alone is enough to sell 4K to me. I would also guess that it would minimise the 'tearing' you get with some 1080p content.

It may 'support' 4K

Whether it supports it sufficiently to actually ever run a game at that resolution without the game turning into a veritable slide show is something else entirely.

Even top of the line hardware now doesn't have the muscle to drive a picture at 4k on modern games without some serious SLI, Overclocking, liquid nitrogen cooled beast that still suffers big performance drops.

No realistically if we can get 1080p AND support for 4X AA in all games, preferably at 60fps then the next gen will be fine for considerable years to come.

Lots of power for future post processing effects can significantly benefit the games more than increased resolution, dropping frame rates, and lesser effects. (Nova 3 on new iPad, over nova 3 on iPad 2 clear example of how post processing has better benefit than driving a resolution with big trade offs)...

As for memory, well rumoured specs of next gen developer kits are pointing towards 8GB of memory. A significant leap from 512mb in current hardware.

The Wii U has 2gb split between GPU and processor 1GB each, so 8gb in the ps4 & 720 is probably very accurate.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA

Yikes! We are at least one year, maybe even 2 years away from the release of the PS4...it is way too far out to get caught up in every rumor. I imagine Sony is going to do nothing to stop rumors/hype, simply to create interest and/or hype.

I would relax...play the games you enjoy now, and know that in 2 years we are going to have consoles (and computers) that are even more bitchin' than they are today. And they are quite unbelievable is it is (for somebody who wrote their first program in BASIC on a TRS-80).

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Yikes! We are at least one year, maybe even 2 years away from the release of the PS4...it is way too far out to get caught up in every rumor. I imagine Sony is going to do nothing to stop rumors/hype, simply to create interest and/or hype.

I'm sure we will hear how it's faster than a super computer, it's processor has the ability to read feelings and emotions of spectral forces that inhabit other dimensions relative to our own, and of how the bed men in far flung countries could use them to make nuclear weapon, and finally of course.......it will have dual hdmi ;-)

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
England

I would relax...play the games you enjoy now, and know that in 2 years we are going to have consoles (and computers) that are even more bitchin' than they are today. And they are quite unbelievable is it is (for somebody who wrote their first program in BASIC on a TRS-80).

Absolutely, there are about 7 upcoming games in this gen that I can't wait to play. Doesn't mean that I shouldn't enjoy speculation about the PS4, it is all part of the fun.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
It may 'support' 4K

Whether it supports it sufficiently to actually ever run a game at that resolution without the game turning into a veritable slide show is something else entirely.

Even top of the line hardware now doesn't have the muscle to drive a picture at 4k on modern games without some serious SLI, Overclocking, liquid nitrogen cooled beast that still suffers big performance drops.
Maybe it will just be an internal scaling up to 4K? Sony already has a line of Blu-ray players that will scale HD content up to 4K. Sony does want to future proof their consoles but with how they overextended themselves on the PS3 I feel like the PS4 will have less financially risky goals.

Miharu

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Finland
Wii U has 2gb of RAM, so a PS4 has to have plenty more. 8 sounds plausible for a console that's coming in 2014.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
All the Next Gen of systems will be cool.

The question remains if Sony and MS will REQUIRE an Internet Connection and tie the game disc (if there is one) to the console/user account.

The heavy DRM will not be good for the consumer. Especially if the company gives NO PRICE BREAK for a heavily protected copy.

The ISP's will go nuts with charging users extra money for going past the data caps if the game is download only....

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
England
Upgradeable consoles have always fragmented the userbase and crashed and burned (Sega 32X, Sega CD, Jaguar CD, Turbografx CD, etc.).

Console makers have already learned their lessons - no longer gonna happen.

Then it wouldn't be considered a console :p Also, remember when N64 brought out the upgrade for RAM, it fragmented owners too much IMO.

I understand your points, but would it not be needed to keep up with computers?
Do you think a significant amount of people will skip buying a console because their PC can run games at a higher frame rate, better graphics etc?
What do you all think?

I know I would be tempted to pick up a few (not the majority) games for my Mac instead of my PS3 if I didn't need bootcamp.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
The one thing I LOVE about consoles is that I don't have to worry about whether my system can run any given game. The game developers are tayloring the game to run on my system, as opposed to me having to taylor my system to run their games.

Sure, PC's today are vastly superior to the current gen consoles, but I'll be happy with my PS3 until the next generation comes out. Games look amazing on my tv, there really is no reason to complain.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Easy solution is to have a minimum spec, have all games run on all systems, but if you want to upgrade the graphics chip or CPU you'll get a higher res, better frame rate etc.
No need to fragment at all. It won't happen mind you.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Easy solution is to have a minimum spec, have all games run on all systems, but if you want to upgrade the graphics chip or CPU you'll get a higher res, better frame rate etc.
No need to fragment at all. It won't happen mind you.

You would still be forced to upgrade to have optimal performance. Every game you buy, you'll ask yourself "how well will this run on my system?" Minimum spec can mean barely playable, and that's already where fragmentation starts...

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
You would still be forced to upgrade to have optimal performance. Every game you buy, you'll ask yourself "how well will this run on my system?" Minimum spec can mean barely playable, and that's already where fragmentation starts...

Minimum spec can be quantified; must run at 1280x720 at 30fps unless locked lower specs for artistic reasons (which would then be locked across all specs, ie 24fps for a film-like game, lower res for pixel art games).

It's very easy to do. Build the game for the lowest hardware. If it's an UE3/4 game continue to stream in higher quality textures until it's hit your systems max.

Honestly it's not difficult, and it won't happen next gen. And if it ever does happen it won't be user-upgradeable. More like a "premium" system, or an updated model.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
England
I'm sure you have all read about Sony's patent that blocks you from playing and therefore selling used games.
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/01/03/report-new-sony-patent-blocks-second-hand-games
Even though this may well not be incorporated into the next Playstation, does this put anyone off? I mean, it is going to happen anyway when we completely move to digital over the next 5-10 years.
Honestly does not bother me. I rarely buy used games (almost never, like 5 times in my life), most games I buy are pre-ordered anyway. I do however make use of trading in, but can live without it, I understand that this may be a set back though.

As a side note, with the industry suffering for a number of reasons, I think it would be fair for this to be brought in, more money going to publishers who make great games has to be a good thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.