Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
It seems that this was a positive shake up at Apple. At the same time, I wouldn't crucify Forstall entirely. Jobs liked him so he had his reasons and saw him as an asset.
There are a lot of politics and egos in any large company. We might never know exactly what happened.
That said good luck to both parties.

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
Why is everyone forgetting about Craig Federighi? He took over iOS from Forstall. Ive is now responsible for UI/UX but that's across the whole company, not just iOS. To be honest I'm hoping the first thing on Ive's list is to do something with :apple:TV. Talk about a UI that needs work. :eek:

Yes.

Steve Jobs apparently hated the idea of the apps grid on the Apple TV. So what do we have now? The design that he loathed so much. Pretty low to say "nyah" to Jobs now that he's dead. And mainly, because he was right, the new design is uncharacteristically bad.

Akuratyde

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2011
According to the NY Times article, there could be some UI changes coming to iOS 7.

I would certainly hope so. iOS badly needs a refresh, I hope they create a more unified look across all applications.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
so true, but Forstall's role as the "new" Jobs especially in management style has unfortunately backfired for him

he probably felt like he was entitled to take over cook's job because of his closeness to steve and that made his ego unbearing to work with

possibly tried to push people around and not see how dated the OS was

Sep 17, 2007
Yes.

Steve Jobs apparently hated the idea of the apps grid on the Apple TV. So what do we have now? The design that he loathed so much. Pretty low to say "nyah" to Jobs now that he's dead. And mainly, because he was right, the new design is uncharacteristically bad.

Agree about the :apple:TV UI. I've got the original and considered upgrading but used my brother's the other day. Couldn't belive that something as basic as download progress was hidden away in the settings, amongst other issues.

chrimux

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2012
Personally, I think Mr. Tim Cook is a better CEO for a company like Apple Inc., in comparison to the man whom I think is one of the most important man in the world in the last twenty years.
On managing a huge company like Apple, Mr. Tim Cook seems to hold more talent than his predecessor. The only reason is that I believe this an era in which only a great team can change the world.:)

I don't think so. And obviously others, too. I've been trying to sell my Apple shares for the last few days (since the announcement of Forstall being fired), but they fall all the time.

We are in a time where people feel insecure and therefore put too much weight on "teams" and "harmony" and "say nice things". Teams do not "change the world". It has always been individuals.

kralnor

macrumors member
May 29, 2012
Working lots of hours and high stress contributes to many heated arguments there. I can understand someone wanting to just retire from it. That Bob guy seems like a cool person.

Also the fact that any of them would never have to work again if they didn't want to. Including ol' scooter.

ethana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2008
Seattle, WA
How can you not have your top hardware guy (Mansfield) talking to your top software guy (Forstall) ALL of the time? You have to have Tim Cook there to mediate?

It baffles me that Apple's mobile devices even function at all if there was that kind of avoidance within the company.

E

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I will watch for two things

1) better innovation with IOS. IOS really needs to make another leap forward. It needs to do something substantial the others can't

2) See what company Forstall joins or starts and what they do. Will he take the easy way and jump to Samsung or will he do what Steve Jobs did after he was booted out of Apple. Steve founded both Next and Pixar while away from Apple.

kralnor

macrumors member
May 29, 2012
I would certainly hope so. iOS badly needs a refresh, I hope they create a more unified look across all applications.

Much less concerned with the look than just having everything work consistently. I don't care about reel-to-reel tape graphics as long as the podcast app works better than (or at least equal to) 9 free alternatives that kids designed to in their free time.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
.. Teams do not "change the world". It has always been individuals.

Yes and no. Steve Jobs would still be siting in his garage thinking about building a computer had it not been for the team of Steve and Steve. You need both a leader and the team he leads. One without the other is not going to do much.

Akuratyde

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2011
Much less concerned with the look than just having everything work consistently. I don't care about reel-to-reel tape graphics as long as the podcast app works better than (or at least equal to) 9 free alternatives that kids designed to in their free time.

Having a unified look for a user interface does help things work consistently. It's not just about aesthetics, it's about letting the user know what to expect and how things operate.

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
Steve is dead. He's not coming back.

Let me repeat ... dead.

Not on vacation, not taking a sabatical, didn't oversleep.

Dead.

Time to move on.
BackFuture53.jpg

When the hell did this happen?

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
So, what will Scott do afterwards?

Trying to mimic Steve and continue to be Mini-Steve? SJ was fired, SF was also.
SJ create NeXT and Pixar....What can this guy actually do?
Any rumors? Educated Guess?

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
There used to be a Web site many years ago called "As the Apple Turns", obviously in reference to the soap opera "As the World Turns". It was very funny, and I miss it. I would love to see someone resurrect it!

I miss Jack too! Got to meet him at a couple Apple store openings about 11 years ago. After his daughter was born he had no time or desire to keep AtAT running. :(

----------

Like others, I didn' realise that Forstall was so disliked, but aggressive management style is always going to put peoople on edge, and is often a sign of someone who's deeply insecure. Here's to a more cohesive, less devisive, executive leadership at Apple!

Forstall wasn't called, "Apple's chief A$$hole" for nothing. :eek:

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I read that the first thing Ive will do is to standardise the spelling (and pronunciation) of aluminium across the entire company.

What, and change the back of the cases to read "Designed by Apple in the USA with UK spelling of the names of components?" Font's pretty small right now!

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
On top of that, it's worth pointing out that Mansfield signed an apology letter over the EPEAT matter. Perhaps Tim Cook's theme is that since none of the executives left is Steve Jobs, he won't tolerate Steve Jobs-like egos.
Steve was not above public apologies. I've seen several. Shaddap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.