Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
Not sure why the article lists this as available from the UK online store, as it isn't there as of 22:34 GMT...

REBELinBLUE

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2007
London, UK
I've had one since June and mine still works fine.

I got mine in June and it started failing last week (only uploading part of the data, strange error messages etc).

Took it back to the Nike shop on monday and as soon as I mentioned the app complaining about "corrupt data" that was the end of the conversation, the guy just got me a replacement. None of the usual stuff you expect (did you try reinstalling the app, did you do factory reset etc); which makes me suspicious that there is a known issue with them.

Yeah it is a bit of a gimmick really, but it is really meant as a motivational tool I think, not as a replacement for a GPS watch etc. I got mine after I was out of action running wise to keep me motivated (hey I'm a geek, I like numbers ;)) and it generally worked, I found that I was walking to places that I would normally jump on the bus for.

Last edited:

aj350z

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2008
First Fuel Band still

I've had the fuelband since it first came out. The wife pre-ordered it for me and I have been loving it everyday(Feb 22). Just reached the 800K Milestone marker!!! Have not had any problems with it. Now with that in mind the only concern i have is how long the material will stay fit with me having to flex it over my wrist everyday. I have noticed a "bulge" in the material.

The app is wonderful. I am a 8th grade math teacher and the data i collect actually gives the kids real world data that is meaningful to them. I am hoping this one lasts for a couple more years but i am curious as how Nike will treat them when the batteries start losing charging time.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
I wish it had the inactivity timer and sleeptracking alarm of the failed Jawbone Up.

The new fitbit will have an alarm. It already tracks your sleeping.

----------

I like the fitbit better myself except that its not a bracelet. I lost two FBs because of that so went FuelBand. I wish they'd make a bracelet style.

Only thing I hate about Fuel Band is that it's constantly under reporting my activity. But it keeps me motivated just the same. I lost 30lbs & 3in off waist thanks to it & better eating habits. Also improved my passive heartbeat per min & heart rate recovery. Maybe I'm a sheep for buying one but I'm a healthy one.

Do you use the belt clip?

iMule

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2009
Greenville, SC
It's incredible. However, it doesn't represent the weights lifted. Some goon could beat their meat and get more Fuel than I could in an hour lifting weights. Nike had a great idea and I hope to see more of my friends buying one.

cav23j

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2008
I got mine in June and it started failing last week (only uploading part of the data, strange error messages etc).

which makes me suspicious that there is a known issue with them.

mine started failing last week also and i had it for like 6 months
sounds similar to what happened

something to do with the last firmware update that is affecting a certain amount number of devices I believe is the culprit

Nike can't figure out why because it is only affecting certain one's

Last edited:

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002

Yes, but both still popped out while jogging... the whole thing belt clip w/ FB in it. Plus also a PITA to keep up with b/c you have to remember to remove the clip each time you change pants. The nice thing about a bracelet is that its on your arm 24/7 except charging. It becomes a part of you so that when it's off you have a visual reminder to put it back on.

Question for those who've had their Fuel Band since near the launch: did you at some point notice earning fewer points for the same routine? Curious b/c, for example, I do an 8mi run/walk interval on Sundays. I use to easily get 4-5K points. Then after a required firmware update my points decreased 30%. Nike exchanged my band but the new one also gets me fewer points.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
I've had a FuelBand since the first day it was released in the UK (1st May) and it's one of the best purchases I've ever made in my entire life.

Absolutely love it. Lost 20 pounds in weight, gone from 26% body fat down to 10%. I'm the fittest I've been for 5 years.

It's not for everyone and my wife gave me so much heat for buying it, but now she wants one too - she's seen how good it has been for me.

charlesdayton

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
The new fitbit will have an alarm. It already tracks your sleeping.

----------

It does have and a larm, but it is not as the one in the Up. The alarm in the Up wakes you only in the light phase of sleep (ie when you will wake up more alert.) Also it has a function that can alert you when you have spend an specific amount of time sedentary.

The Fitbit and Fuelband are great devices, but miss that kind of functionality.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
It does have and a larm, but it is not as the one in the Up. The alarm in the Up wakes you only in the light phase of sleep (ie when you will wake up more alert.) Also it has a function that can alert you when you have spend an specific amount of time sedentary.

The Fitbit and Fuelband are great devices, but miss that kind of functionality.

One feature I do miss about the UP was the sedentary alarm.

charlesdayton

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
One feature I do miss about the UP was the sedentary alarm.

I still don't get how Jawbone messed things so much. They have been promising a fixed version for a very long time. At least they refunded costumers.

I wonder if the Sedentary/phase wake features are TM by Jawbone. Fitbit could easily implement both features on the Fitbit One with just a software update as it already has the sensors and alarm.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
motivate to what? i never got the point of it. what am I missing?

Seems it's a sort of high-definition pedometer. It quantifies your activity level for the day, making it easier to set goals and know what's needed to meet them. I started using a simple pedometer for the last couple months, and increased my activity 40% by monitoring quantifiable increases in small activities; at the end of the day, I knew if I still had more to do and could easily reach my 10,000 steps per day goal (even if that meant walking a mile at midnight).

Knowing the motivating power of quantifying activity, I'm psyched to get this or some comparable "high-def pedometer". Having stopped using the cheap one (not keen on using something loudly labeled with my prior employer), I'm looking at making a step up - if only by finding a prior-gen iPod Nano at a pawn shop.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
Seems it's a sort of high-definition pedometer. It quantifies your activity level for the day, making it easier to set goals and know what's needed to meet them. I started using a simple pedometer for the last couple months, and increased my activity 40% by monitoring quantifiable increases in small activities; at the end of the day, I knew if I still had more to do and could easily reach my 10,000 steps per day goal (even if that meant walking a mile at midnight).

Knowing the motivating power of quantifying activity, I'm psyched to get this or some comparable "high-def pedometer". Having stopped using the cheap one (not keen on using something loudly labeled with my prior employer), I'm looking at making a step up - if only by finding a prior-gen iPod Nano at a pawn shop.

I still don't see why I would need to increase the amount I walk per day but anyway. What I find rather useful are heart rate monitors because at a certain age it's more important to limit your peak heart rate because overdoing this is what limits your activity. Does the Nike have a heart rate monitor built in?

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
I still don't see why I would need to increase the amount I walk per day but anyway.

The more you move, the more calories you burn.

Don't think there's a heartrate monitor in it. That's solving a different problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.