Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spyzz83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
Hey,
My iPhone 3GS is currently unlocked with ultrasn0w, but the phone itself locked only to AT&T.
I called them and asked them if it's possible to unlock it but they keep asking me for a receipt.
Has anyone unlocked their iPhone trough ATT's service recently?
If so how have you done it without a receipt? Are there any tricks that will make them accept my unlock request?
Thanks a lot

Spyzz83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
They dont do it for non AT&T customers any more and even if you are a customer they give you the runaround.
Pay the $3-4 and get the imei unlock on ebay. Way easier....

They do, they just always ask for a receipt..
And I would prefer this unlock instead, if it's possible of course

RotaryP7

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2011
Miami, FL
It took AT&T 2 months to send me the unlock email. I didn't wait for them, unlocked it elsewhere. They're just slow. Very slow.

Panch0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2010
Virginia
I had my iPhone 4 unlocked maybe 6 weeks ago. They just asked for my phone number I think. I may have had to read a serial number out of settings, I don't remember. No run around at all, but you have to call customer service, they don't do it at the local stores.

Of course, my iPhone 4 had been on an active AT&T account for over two years at the time. If you've been switching carriers, or bought the phone second hand you might have different hoops to jump through.

Spyzz83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
I had my iPhone 4 unlocked maybe 6 weeks ago. They just asked for my phone number I think. I may have had to read a serial number out of settings, I don't remember. No run around at all, but you have to call customer service, they don't do it at the local stores.

Of course, my iPhone 4 had been on an active AT&T account for over two years at the time. If you've been switching carriers, or bought the phone second hand you might have different hoops to jump through.

I've bought the phone long ago, it was locked when I bought it.. Never had any contact with ATT..
Do you think they might completely lock my phone if I send them a fake receipt?

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
I've bought the phone long ago, it was locked when I bought it.. Never had any contact with ATT..
Do you think they might completely lock my phone if I send them a fake receipt?

I think you need to have a had that phone on contract in the past with AT&T. I just had them unlock an old 3GS of mine and it took them 2 days to it. They didn't ask for anything more than the IMEI number. I did this a couple of weeks ago.

You can get the same unlock on eBay for $5-$10. I would just do that instead trying to argue with AT&T.

illippinno

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2008
Jacksonville, FL
My iPhone 4 from AT&T (out of contract) was unlocked about a month ago via their online unlock request form. I've since switched to Verizon with my iPhone 5, but if I remember correctly, you have to provide your phone number, IMEI number, name and last 4 of your social, and they look your account based on that and make the decision if you're eligible for an unlock.

It took about 5 days before I received a confirmation that my phone can be unlocked the next time I restore my phone thru iTunes.

Tulsa

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2010
I unlocked my old iPhone 4 (AT&T, out of contract) via their online form and it was unlocked the next day.

I have two 4's, both out of contract, AT&T unlocked both within a day of sending that same form. No hassles at all.

alexlc1

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2011
I unlocked an old iPhone 4 out of contract about a month ago. The phone was bought from and used with AT&T for the course of the contract. I just went to http://www.att.com/deviceunlock and requested the device to be unlocked. Took exactly 7 days before I received the email saying it was unlocked, but it was pretty easy.

It looks as though there is a section for people who purchased it unsubsidised from AT&T, but as you said, its asking for a receipt to be faxed to them. :(

davejane

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2012
ATT are telling me the iPhone 4 I have is unlocked, however when I put an active Verizon sim in it still shows no service.

Does this mean it's not actually unlocked, or do Verizon sim's not work in ATT phones?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
ATT are telling me the iPhone 4 I have is unlocked, however when I put an active Verizon sim in it still shows no service.

Does this mean it's not actually unlocked, or do Verizon sim's not work in ATT phones?

You cannot use an AT&T phone on verizon.
It's not just sticking a sim inside.
You can put in any gsm sim.
Not a CDMA carrier as verizon or Sprint.

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
I unlocked through there website service and it took about a little over a week. Went smoothly. No receipt, however I was an AT&T customer and I was at the end of my contract.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
I have unlocked two old iPhones via their online form; one was my old 3GS and the other was an old 3G that belonged to a friend. Both unlocks went fine with no hitches.

user418

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2010
Online site, unlock email received same day, ATT iPhone 4 unlocked within 24 hours.

BIS2

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2004
I bought a 4s on ebay and they just rejected my unlock request (I faxes them my receipt) although it is eligible to be unlocked. But then again I' not an at&t customer. Going to try to call and see if I can get them to do it as I've heard some people have had luck with that.

jekyoo

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Chicago
I bought a 4s on ebay and they just rejected my unlock request (I faxes them my receipt) although it is eligible to be unlocked. But then again I' not an at&t customer. Going to try to call and see if I can get them to do it as I've heard some people have had luck with that.

Forget the hassle and just have your phone unlocked via ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Unlock-Code...335?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4abe000d3f It's only $3.37. I've bought this unlock for 4 phones already they were all unlocked the in hours.

lookn4wifi

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
About a month ago I filled out an unlock request on AT&T's web site for my off contract 3GS. No issues. Unlocked in about a week or a tad more.

BIS2

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2004
Forget the hassle and just have your phone unlocked via ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Unlock-Code...335?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4abe000d3f It's only $3.37. I've bought this unlock for 4 phones already they were all unlocked the in hours.

So I tried calling At&t to get them to unlock my ebay purchased phone (which they had rejected my online request to unlock). The at&t rep knew nothing and said apple had to unlock it so she transferred me to them.....the apple rep said that was crazy and that at&t had to do it. She also confirmed for me that the phone was locked.

I hung up and went on ebay to buy an unlock from unlock_fusion. I put in my imei on their page and it said my phone was unlocked......HUH?? So I put my tmobile SIM in, and what do you know the phone was now unlocked? I have no idea who unlocked it or when, since 5 mins before apple told me it was locked and at&t refused me, but whatever I'm happy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.