Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
USA
something interesting to note is that both the 5W adapter and the 12W adapter are both only $19. The 10W adapter remains on the Apple Store for $29, but the new 12W adapter and the 5W adapter are still only $19. I wonder if you could talk a manager into swapping one out...

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
The iPad Mini 2: New, improved charging technology that charges your iPad Mini at over three times the previous rate. Revolutionary.

My iPad 3 takes around 5-6 hours to fully charge from 10 or so percent. 43 Whr battery with a 10W charger does not go very fast. So the Mini with a 16 Whr battery and 5W charger will likely be faster.

And since I have an extra 10W charger that I bought when Apple bundled it with the extension and 30 pin cable, hopefully it will be able to charge even faster...but I am not so sure given how thin the battery is. It may just be limited to 5W.

christof

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2002
Earth
something interesting to note is that both the 5W adapter and the 12W adapter are both only $19. The 10W adapter remains on the Apple Store for $29, but the new 12W adapter and the 5W adapter are still only $19. I wonder if you could talk a manager into swapping one out...
Have people had success doing this in the past?

technopimp

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
My iPad 3 takes around 5-6 hours to fully charge from 10 or so percent. 43 Whr battery with a 10W charger does not go very fast. So the Mini with a 16 Whr battery and 5W charger will likely be faster.

And since I have an extra 10W charger that I bought when Apple bundled it with the extension and 30 pin cable, hopefully it will be able to charge even faster...but I am not so sure given how thin the battery is. It may just be limited to 5W.

From ~10%, my iPad 3 takes a lot longer than that. I've plugged it in before I went to bed and woke up to only have it around 80-90%. And what usually happens is I'll forget to keep it topped off, so I'm always stuck with sitting around waiting (and waiting...and waiting...and waiting) for it to charge.

Now, my iPhone 5 on the other hand...went from 36% to 88% in 45 minutes today. :D

Krio

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2009

The battery isn't the limiting factor for charge times in the iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or iPad mini. The chemistry in all these devices is perfectly capable of recharging in under an hour from completely dead to 90% with no discernable difference in the number of cycles it can sustain.

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
Cost cutting....

The obsolete ipad 3rd Gen 10 watt charger would probably be ideal for the mini.

who cares... charging faster just means more heat build up.. I for one am glad the charger is a lower wattage.. also it has a smaller battery than the larger iPad...

Yeah, from the article:
"The 12-watt charger (or its 10-watt predecessor) could charge the iPad mini more quickly than the 5-watt adapter, provided that the iPad mini itself would allow more than 5 watts to be drawn from the charger."

We don't know that bolded part yet. If a design constraint was that the Mini can only handle a 5 watt draw, than it would be foolish to ship the 12w charger now wouldn't it? Additionally, if they DID ship the 12 watt charger and it only handled 5watts, we'd have people in here complaining that Apple charged them for a "more expensive" charger that they didn't need :rolleyes:

Let's let the facts settle before we complain too loudly, aye? :)

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
Damn straight!

I would have paid $499 if they came with a 12W - but not now. I have buying power for all the schools in the entire western hemisphere, and Apple just lost my business!

Sent from my White Apple TV

It it just me or has the sarcasm around here gotten ridiculously dry?

...and less funny.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
It it just me or has the sarcasm around here gotten ridiculously dry?

...and less funny.

Today has been nothing but sarcasm and whitt and the blatant troll attempt in just about every news post.

its one thing if it were the same 5 people. But it's everyone.

people are just cranky today... Guess they're just not getting enough juice

aplnub

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2008
The only way to know this is to confirm the charging times between the 5 and 10/12.

Hopefully tomorrow, someone with a iPad 3/4 charger tries charging their mini.

I hope it does, cause this would mean charging at 12w would be 140% faster.

When mine comes in I will just put a splitter and meter on it. We can see exactly how much it is pulling.

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
Yeah, from the article:
"The 12-watt charger (or its 10-watt predecessor) could charge the iPad mini more quickly than the 5-watt adapter, provided that the iPad mini itself would allow more than 5 watts to be drawn from the charger."

We don't know that bolded part yet. If a design constraint was that the Mini can only handle a 5 watt draw, than it would be foolish to ship the 12w charger now wouldn't it? Additionally, if they DID ship the 12 watt charger and it only handled 5watts, we'd have people in here complaining that Apple charged them for a "more expensive" charger that they didn't need :rolleyes:

Size has nothing to do with it, the galaxy note 2 phablet can charge 2amp easily. Only reason new iPad mini couldn't would be... Oh I don't know, using internals from older iPhones perhaps? ;)

GrandPhrase

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012

I think the 10W adapter includes the USB cables though.. The new 5W and 12W adapters don't include them.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Yeah, from the article:

Dont need facts to make a joke.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
It's going to be very interesting testing this. Tomorrow we will know. Someone start a thread and we will post results. Best not to speculate as its only a few hours away. But frankly, it looks odd.

chiawen.yang

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2012
Austin, Texas
Simple math:

iPad Mini 16.3-watt-hour rechargeable lithium-polymer battery

16.3watt-hour / 5watt charger = 3hour 16min under 100% efficiency
16.3watt-hour / 10watt charger = 1hour 38min under 100% efficiency (if the iPad mini will allow this)

iPad 42.5-watt-hour rechargeable lithium-polymer battery

42.5watt-hour / 5watt charger = 8hour 30min under 100% efficiency
42.5watt-hour / 10watt charger = 4hour 15min under 100% efficiency

It will not be 100% efficiency (real life), so any charging time will be beyond those calculated. I tried googling the efficiency of the Apple chargers and couldn't find anything.

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
Size has nothing to do with it, the galaxy note 2 phablet can charge 2amp easily. Only reason new iPad mini couldn't would be... Oh I don't know, using internals from older iPhones perhaps? ;)

I didn't say size had anything to do with it. I said "design constraints", and size, or the effects of size *might* have something to do with it. For example, to shove power power into the device might have resulted in more heat, due to the compact size the device may not have been able to safely handle that heat.

And as someone else pointed out, the charge time of a mini in a perfect world at 5 watts would still be faster than a full sized iPad at 10 watts. So there was little reason to sacrifice (if that is the case) some other aspect of the design in order to archive a sub two hour charge time from 0% to 100%. Like I said, "Design Constraints".

Dont need facts to make a joke.

Oh, haha, I get it, you were acting like a troll with a quick one liner. Too funny. Really. Tears in my eyes.

:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.