Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The best app for note taking in iPad is:

• Notebooks for iPad

Votes: 17 4.6%
  • UPAD

Votes: 28 7.5%
  • neu.Notes

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Penultimate

Votes: 65 17.5%
  • FastFinga

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Noterize

Votes: 7 1.9%
  • Noteshelf

Votes: 49 13.2%
  • Note Taker HD

Votes: 43 11.6%
  • CourseNotes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • PhatPad

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Notebooks for iPad

Votes: 8 2.2%
  • WritePad for iPad

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • Other (Please mention)

Votes: 147 39.5%

• Total voters

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Evernote for me :apple:

So I took a closer look at Evernote, mostly because we consider using it in an upcoming teamwork. I ended up purchasing Penultimate hehe
Already pleased by Penultimate's simplicity and minimalism, I'm open for tips and tricks from all of you notetakers.

Emba02

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2012
Is there a Microsoft One Note Available for Mac?

Don't cringe, I'm new to Mac's and Apple in general, I have only used PCs and quite frankley I am hesitant to by a MacBook Air until I know if there is a way to use One Note or a Mac version. Any suggestions? BTW should I buy the Mac Book Air 13" or Mac Book Pro? Thanks so much

SunnyStudioNeo

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2011
Sorry, I don't understand:
- you do develop an Evernote client, and don't see it as an option?
- what is simplife?

I mean Evernote is such a great note taking app, which should be included as a choice for this poll, but it is not.

Simplife is another note taking app, known for its extreme simplicity of design.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
I mean Evernote is such a great note taking app, which should be included as a choice for this poll, but it is not.

Simplife is another note taking app, known for its extreme simplicity of design.

Misread, my mistake - sorry.
Link to Simplife? I can't seem to find it.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
While Remarks is still my favorite pdf annotation app, Noteshelf has now become my #1 for handwritten notes. It's inking responsiveness to my stylus scribbling is second to none. Also, the available writing tools and colours are a great collection.

richimages

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2008
Southeastern US
Just another sample page from NoteShelf ... pretty happy with this app. This image was greatly downsized before posting on this forum ...

Anyone else like NoteShelf?

sample.png

pk7

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2011
Best Note-Taking App?

Hi everyone,

My iPad 4 is getting here next week and I intend to use it primarily for my engineering studies. I'm looking at it like somewhat of an "e-notebook," a device I'll primarily take with me unless I have to run complex engineering programs on it (for which I have my MBP).

Therefore, I want to be able to take handwritten notes on it. I've already bought a TruGlide microfiber stylus and now all I was wondering is which note-taking app to use. I know a lot of people that use Notes Plus and it looks very nice. I've heard they have excellent customer service as well.

Basically I was just looking for something that'll let me take a huge amount of notes (I plan to keep this iPad for the next 2-3 years) without storage being an issue, and an editor that's well-featured (like multiple colors, highlighting, etc.). Will Notes Plus do the job, or does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks a ton in advance!

robdam1001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
Hi everyone,

My iPad 4 is getting here next week and I intend to use it primarily for my engineering studies. I'm looking at it like somewhat of an "e-notebook," a device I'll primarily take with me unless I have to run complex engineering programs on it (for which I have my MBP).

Therefore, I want to be able to take handwritten notes on it. I've already bought a TruGlide microfiber stylus and now all I was wondering is which note-taking app to use. I know a lot of people that use Notes Plus and it looks very nice. I've heard they have excellent customer service as well.

Basically I was just looking for something that'll let me take a huge amount of notes (I plan to keep this iPad for the next 2-3 years) without storage being an issue, and an editor that's well-featured (like multiple colors, highlighting, etc.). Will Notes Plus do the job, or does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks a ton in advance!

Have you read through this thread?

richimages

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2008
Southeastern US
Hi everyone,
Will Notes Plus do the job, or does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks a ton in advance!

You're going to get a ton of suggestions ... everyone thinks their favorite is king app ... (and it is for them) ... but there are a lot of different favorites with people.

I've switched several times over the past few years; each switch was an improvement for me. Here's the order of the apps I've used:

Note Taker HD - first decent app with a magnification window (which is now common )

UPad - switched to this one for a better GUI interface.

Notes Plus - switched to this one because everything was vectorized - but there are a LOT OF
BELLS AND WHISTLES with this app. These features look cool, but some of them are
not necessary for regular notetaking ... they hardly ever get used. Very nice app
though! Seriously. :)

Noteshelf - I currently use this app (although it's not too popular). Here's the reasons I like it:

VAST PAPER SELECTION BY FAR! Including customized papers

FANTASTIC, super simple GUI!

Export options to the max Email/Dropbox/Evernote/CameraRoll LowRes/HD PDF/Image

Viewing Thumbnails of Pages is great! (this one allows the whole screen to be dedicated towards browing pages of a book, with others you can not view as many thumbnails simultaneously as you can with Noteshelf ).

Same as above for viewing/creating/organizing all your notebooks. I have 20 some odd notebooks ... jumping from one to another is visually simple, short and organized. I can see all of them simultaneously on one screen!

If you need to be organized with lots of books, and you plan to have lots of pages in a book, and you want to be able to find a page quickly, Noteshelf may be right for you!

~~~~~~

That said, there are things it can not do:

- transcribe handwriting - like Notes Plus can do.
- images can not be re-placed, and resized after positioning - like Notes Plus can do. ( wish they would do this)
- import PDFs (although, it can export to PDF, but this is in their to do list )
- sound recording

~~~~~~

But it does have some other niceties about it that I use from time to time:
- calligraphy pens
- colored pencils ( excellent emulation for colored pencils - works really well )
- import photos into your pages
~~~~~~

I've posted some examples at places in this thread. Good Luck with whatever you decide.

Notes Plus is nice for engineering diagrams ( straight lines drawing charts would be nice )

Noteability (think that's the one) has very nice audio recording features, which seems to be indexed by what was written on a page at the time of what was currently recorded. Very Kewl feature! I.e. If you can't read what you were writing, but you were recording, just pull up your audio recording and tap the area of the page you were writing at the time, and the audio will jump to that location. I have not used this app personally - but for college or classroom - sounds very useful!!

I would think those are some of the apps you might start to check out! Let me know what you decide!

good luck

Last edited:

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Personally, I don't need all the bells and whistles of Notes+, but it's still a great app. Strictly for taking notes (i.e. no PDF annotating), my favorite is Noteshelf:

- best responsiveness I've seen = quick writing (with a stylus, of course)
- 3 writing tools, unlimited choice of colour, pen thickness...
- zoom function
- great wrist guard, it simply works
- bookshelf interface, iBooks-like
- Export functions

For annotating PDF's, I use Remarks.

richimages

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2008
Southeastern US
Personally, I don't need all the bells and whistles of Notes+, but it's still a great app.

Strictly for taking notes (i.e. no PDF annotating), my favorite is Noteshelf:

We're in complete agreement :)

- unlimited choice of colour, pen thickness...

Hummm ... I would not say unlimited ... although there are several settings. There are 17 colors, and 20 incremental sizes for Pen, Calligraphy Quills, and Colored Pencils. For Highlighers, there are 14 colors and 10 sizes.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Hummm ... I would not say unlimited ... although there are several settings. There are 17 colors, and 20 incremental sizes for Pen, Calligraphy Quills, and Colored Pencils. For Highlighers, there are 14 colors and 10 sizes.

In the bottom right corner of both the Pen and Marker palette, there's a pipette icon. I suggest you tap on it and go wild ;-)

richimages

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2008
Southeastern US
In the bottom right corner of both the Pen and Marker palette, there's a pipette icon. I suggest you tap on it and go wild ;-)

Kewl! Never saw that before! Thanks! It does seem kindof hidden though, wonder how many others have not seen this before either. (Hey, did you actually read the manual or something?) :)

----------

Only if you spell it my way :) double check your spelling, it's Notability no "e"!

You're right, I stand corrected! (actually it pulled up as the first item even though I spelled it wrong, and eventhough the second item revealed that their is an app that exist with the "e" in it. )

By the way, I tried the recording thing ... it looks like it only has indexing look up features by typed text, not pen handwriting, made at the time of the recording.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.