Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diogolg

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2012
"We've always been at war with Eastasia"

Maybe for iOS devices, but not desktops or laptops or nexus devices.

Not sure how to downgrade on my Nexus easily.. and that's a nice way to prevent more fragmentation...

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Facebook crashing on both 6.0.1 and 6.1, iPhone 4S, 5 and iPad 2 and 3.

There'll be an immediate FB update I'm sure, but for a 6.0.1 commercial release it's unprofessional.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
"We've always been at war with Eastasia"

Maybe for iOS devices, but not desktops or laptops or nexus devices.

Good think we are not talking about desktops or laptops or nexus devices. And it has to do with hardware updates to the baseband that Apple makes when it updates the OS.

wilhoitm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
I wonder if?

I wonder if we will see any of Ive's changes in iOS 6.1 Beta?

I would love Ive to put in an Easter Egg?

Ok, I am pushing it! LOL! :rolleyes:

drewzkie

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2011
CA
Will it be through the update that Apple addresses the WiFi connectivity issues a lot of iPhone 5's are facing? Or is that more of a firmware update?

AppleInMyBlood

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2012
The interface was designed and made by Apple. There was no turn by turn cause Apple didn't want to "pay" Google for that feature. I say "pay" cause Google didn't even want money, just credit for the maps stuff or other preinstalled google apps.

"Sources tell AllThingsD that Google, for example, wanted more say in the iOS maps feature set. It wasn’t happy simply providing back-end data. It asked for in-app branding. Apple declined. It suggested adding Google Latitude. Again, Apple declined." (bold added by me)

Very pleased that Apple declined those requirements.

I'm also in the camp that loves the Apple maps. There are issues, sure, but it's a 1.0 product and I already use it FAR more than I used to use Google iOS maps. :apple:

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
i swear to god, if someone says bring back google maps one more time i'm going to lose it.

Google Maps on iPhone SUCKED, it was AWFUL... no turn by turn, awful interface... it just plain sucked.

If Google Maps was what it is on a Android phone, then I can understand... but as it was... I can't see why anyone in their right mind would want it back.

This just shows that people care more about good data than good software. Can't blame them.

Osullivan1

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2011
London
Any word on if this release fixes any of the WIFI issues we seem to be having.

6.0.1 update 'Improves reliability of the iPhone 5 and iPod touch 5th-generation when connected to an encrypted WPA2 Wi-Fi network', so I guess it fixes some...

Its fixed the most annoying bug ever where my iPhone wouldn't pick up signal anywhere after locking and unlocking the phone a lot of the time - meaning you had to turn airplane mode on and off to get it to actually search for a network...

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
It 'Improves reliability of the iPhone 5 and iPod touch 5th-generation when connected to an encrypted WPA2 Wi-Fi network', so I guess it fixes some...

Its fixed the most annoying bug ever where my iPhone wouldn't pick up signal anywhere after locking and unlocking the phone a lot of the time - meaning you had to turn airplane mode on and off to get it to actually search for a network...

Wasn't that for 6.0.1 not 6.1......

Soundflunky

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2012
Small tidbit, just in case anyone was wondering; the knob on that new lock screen slider works with the gyroscope like the Music one. The multitasking one still doesn't.

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
The interface was designed and made by Apple. There was no turn by turn cause Apple didn't want to "pay" Google for that feature. I say "pay" cause Google didn't even want money, just credit for the maps stuff or other preinstalled google apps.

"Sources tell AllThingsD that Google, for example, wanted more say in the iOS maps feature set. It wasn’t happy simply providing back-end data. It asked for in-app branding. Apple declined. It suggested adding Google Latitude. Again, Apple declined." (bold added by me)

Way to tell half the story. Few companies will allow a competitor to have branding in a prominent product. Apple Maps has only a small disclaimer about TomTom providing data.

Didn't google also want more user data? How do you know money wasn't also part of the problem?

DerekRod

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2012
NY
Way to tell half the story. Few companies will allow a competitor to have branding in a prominent product. Apple Maps has only a small disclaimer about TomTom providing data.

Didn't google also want more user data? How do you know money wasn't also part of the problem?

They wanted more access to data.Its scary how on Android my Nexus 7 knew where my house was and work was even though I never put it in my contacts app.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Does it

Bring back google maps?
Remove the tacky colour changing status bars?
Fix or bring back the old app store?
Bring back the cloud icons and ability to delete individual songs in itunes match?
Remove the facebook & twitter icons scattered around ios even though I'm not signed into either service in settings?

Bring back google maps?
-Time to move on Google maps is not coming back as main mapping app.

-who cares

- Again time to move forward

Bring back the cloud icons and ability to delete individual songs in itunes match?
-meh..

Remove the facebook & twitter icons scattered around ios even though I'm not signed into either service in settings

- really? Never saw these as an issue.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
i swear to god, if someone says bring back google maps one more time i'm going to lose it.

Google Maps on iPhone SUCKED, it was AWFUL... no turn by turn, awful interface... it just plain sucked.

If Google Maps was what it is on a Android phone, then I can understand... but as it was... I can't see why anyone in their right mind would want it back.

Because turn by turn is completely irrelevant on a map that doesn't know where anything IS.

FFS.

thelink

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2012
Does it

Bring back google maps?
Remove the facebook & twitter icons scattered around ios even though I'm not signed into either service in settings?

Only one way to find out.... :wink: :wink:

----------

Because turn by turn is completely irrelevant on a map that doesn't know where anything IS.

FFS.

Except for me. Everything seems to work fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.