Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has updated its prosumer photo editing/management software Aperture, bringing it to version 3.4.2. The company has also released a new version of iPhoto, version 9.4.2. Both updates are available via the Mac App Store or Software Update.

iphotoaperture.jpg
What's New in Aperture 3.4.2

o Photos received via My Photo Stream or shared streams can now be added directly to other shared streams
o Multiple email addresses can now be copied and pasted in the "Shared with" field for shared streams
o When more than five subscribers "Like" a photo in a shared stream, all their names are now displayed correctly
o The Info panel for a shared stream now includes an Unsubscribe button
o The status line in the toolstrip now displays the number of new photos added to a shared stream
o Faces are now properly detected on photos imported into a library from a shared stream
o Adjusted photos added to shared streams are now published with EXIF metadata properly preserved
o Addresses the reliability of Shared Photo Streams when switching between iPhoto and Aperture with the same library
o Custom keyboard shortcuts are now properly preserved when upgrading from earlier versions of Aperture
o Double-clicking a photo in Viewer-Only mode now correctly toggles to the Browser view
o Addresses a problem that could prevent the Viewer from displaying images with correct color after Auto White Balance and Auto Enhance are applied
o Addresses an issue that could cause JPEGs exported with a custom ICC profile to render incorrectly
o A dialog now displays progress when deleting large numbers of photos using the Empty Aperture Trash command
o Fixes a problem that could cause duplicate detection on import to fail when the "Auto-Split Projects" option is enabled
o RAW files are no longer displayed in the Import window when the "JPEG files only" option is enabled
o Key photos made from panoramic images are now displayed at high resolution
o Addresses a problem that could cause the Info panel in the Inspector to display the wrong metadata view
o Fixes an issue that could prevent Microsoft Outlook from being used to email photos from within Aperture
o Improves stability when working with AVCHD video files
o Fixes a problem with using the Zoom navigator on a second display
o Addresses issues that could cause web journals to export incorrectly
o Includes stability improvements

--

What's New in iPhoto 9.4.2

o Photos now can be added to shared streams or My Photo Stream by dragging them to "Photo Stream" in the source list
o Multiple email addresses can now be copied and pasted in the "Shared with" field for shared streams
o When more than five subscribers "Like" a photo in a shared stream, their names are now displayed correctly
o Contextual menu now includes an Import command to import all the photos contained in a shared photo stream
o Addresses the reliability of Shared Photo Streams when switching between iPhoto and Aperture with the same library
o Fixes an issue that could prevent Microsoft Outlook from being used to email photos from within iPhoto
o Updated national holidays are available for use in printed photo calendars
o Includes stability improvements
Aperture is available for $79.99 on the Mac App Store. [Direct Link]

iPhoto is available for $14.99 on the Mac App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Apple Updates Aperture and iPhoto With Lengthy Changelogs

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
The iPhoto update installed okay, but the Aperture update keeps giving me an error and failing.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
The iPhoto update installed okay, but the Aperture update keeps giving me an error and failing.

Same here...
At least now I know it's not an issue on my end...

MAS and other Apple online services have been rather instable for quite some days now...
Eddy Cue, work it!

Glassed Silver:mac

Spitfire411

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2011

3.4 had a bad update as well and 3.4.1 had to be released to fix it. Looks like I'll be holding off on the update.

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
I rebooted and tried again, and it seems to be working. I suspect the reboot wasn't the fix, but Apple did something on their end that fixed the download while I was rebooting. In either case, the update works for me now.

Spitfire411

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2011
I rebooted and tried again, and it seems to be working. I suspect the reboot wasn't the fix, but Apple did something on their end that fixed the download while I was rebooting. In either case, the update works for me now.

It was an issue with the actual download and not with launching the updated version of Aperture?

RoelJuun

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
Netherlands
Receiving an error message when pressing Update.

An error occurred

The operation couldn’t be completed. (NSURLErrorDomain error -3001.)(102)

10.8.2. iMac 2009.

Last edited:

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
Why can't Apple set Lion support multiple photostreams? If it supports one, surely it can support multiples?

This seems like one of these things they actually turn off just because of the Mac OS X version.

This is especially annoying on computers that actually cannot be upgraded to Mountain Lion. (And some of the Mac models had pretty early cutoffs).

I've got a friend with a MacBook which can't do multiple streams while her iPad and AppleTV can.

Gary

Last edited:

landroverz7

macrumors member
May 7, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Apple loves releasing all their updates in one day don't they?

Anyways I find that its best to wait a few hours before updating any of the ilife or iwork applications as the first few hours the update is big >1GB if you wait a few hours they will become delta updates <100MB. This is from the mac app store OSX Mountain Lion here.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
How about re-enabling the ability for users to restore a picture by opening "Time Machine" while "iPhoto" is open instead of restoring the ENTIRE library if you inadvertently delete a photo, event, album, etc from its trash bin?

I do not know why Apple removed that ability. Many people want it back.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Fixes are nice and all, but I want much more substantial update to Aperture. Perhaps it's just me but aside from Final Cut Pro (and related Compressor and Motion), most of Apple's Mac apps seem to be in maintenance dating more than 2 years ago. Granted, Apple did give us iCloud and few nice new features, but I want real update.

Last major version (x.0) release dates:

Aperture: February 9, 2010
Apple Remote Desktop: April 11, 2006
Compressor: June 21, 2011
Final Cut Pro: June 21, 2011
GarageBand: October 20, 2010
iMovie: October 20, 2010
iPhoto: October 20, 2010
Keynote: January 9, 2009
Logic Pro: June 23, 2009
MainStage: June 23, 2009
Motion: June 21, 2011
Numbers: January 9, 2009
Pages: January 9, 2009

P.S. MacRumors should put Buyer's Guide for Apple's paid software.

porky

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2003
BELGIUM
Aperture is still very slow. Unusable is more like it when you have a large collection of raw files .

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand

An error occurred

10.8.2. iMac 2009.

Could be an overloaded server since there's a lot of new stuff today. I'm getting the "no updates available" message.

Edit: It turns out that the system requirements have changed; the iPhoto update isn't showing up simply because my system doesn't meet them, not due to any technical issue. Mystery solved :)

Last edited:

EDL

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2007
New Version

Fixes are nice and all, but I want much more substantial update to Aperture. Perhaps it's just me but aside from Final Cut Pro (and related Compressor and Motion), most of Apple's Mac apps seem to be in maintenance dating more than 2 years ago. Granted, Apple did give us iCloud and few nice new features, but I want real update.

I second that; it's been way too long for a new version of Aperture. While Lightroom still catches up in certain areas, in other areas it has gained a lead on Aperture. That does not really speak for Apple having had the initial head-start in the game. And Lightroom does get consistent feature updates, not just bug fixes (I don't count additions of i-services as actual features).

I just hope that the next update of Aperture is going to be Aperture X, just like FCPX was to FCP. A complete rewrite with groundbreaking new ideas that take advantage of today's hardware and OSX technologies, not just an incremental update. - IMHO, Apple should have bought NIK software, not Google. And if they wait much longer with Pixelmator, someone else (if not Google again) is going to pick them up. Both companies could have brought real technological advantage to a package like Aperture. - Maybe they're trying to write those kinds of pieces themselves but maybe not.

So yeah, just frustrated about the whole progress of this app that doesn't accomplish much more (editing-wise) than when it first launched.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Keep getting this

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-11-01 at 10.37.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-11-01 at 10.37.29 PM.png
    97.5 KB · Views: 285

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006

An error occurred

10.8.2. iMac 2009.

Getting the same thing here, whether I try and update all three, or any individually.

sportsfan

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2009

Apple Remote Desktop: April 11, 2006
Compressor: June 21, 2011
Final Cut Pro: June 21, 2011
GarageBand: October 20, 2010
iMovie: October 20, 2010
iPhoto: October 20, 2010
Keynote: January 9, 2009
Logic Pro: June 23, 2009
MainStage: June 23, 2009
Motion: June 21, 2011
Numbers: January 9, 2009
Pages: January 9, 2009

P.S. MacRumors should put Buyer's Guide for Apple's paid software.

i've read that the app store requires $$ purchase for each .0 release. So if apple (or anyone) want to release free updates they can't be .01.

Mainyehc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2004
Lisbon, Portugal
Last edited:

scoobydoo99

Cancelled
Mar 11, 2003
How about re-enabling the ability for users to restore a picture by opening "Time Machine" while "iPhoto" is open instead of restoring the ENTIRE library if you inadvertently delete a photo, event, album, etc from its trash bin?

I do not know why Apple removed that ability. Many people want it back.

and how 'bout allowing <escape> to go from the single picture view back to the album view. i used that all the time and hate having to click on the button to go back to the album now.

why make things harder to use, Apple?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.