Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hiroden

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2012
Vancouver, BC, Canada
I think your only option is pay the whatever 15-250 amount to Apple and get a replacement phone.

Next, after you get a new phone...

1. get a case and screen protector... don't be cheap on those things.
2. buy Apple Care+... you will probably drop it few more times.

johndallas999

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2008
Seattle
I really hope you're a girl, cause those are some long fingernails!

Anyway, it looks like something hit directly on the front of the phone. With stress cracks from faulty glass, it doesn't shatter like that. It just cracks cleanly.

LOL, I thought the same thing. Almost look like french manicure on those things, GROSS!

----------

who the hell pays $200 a month for their phone? :rolleyes:

i pay $60...

That's a good point. I have 3 iphone on a family plan and pay around 175 a month. Sounds like someone is getting screwed on their bill

----------

Go to the Genius Bar and bully the nerdiest looking genius don't take no for an answer. They'll swap it out like they always do. Works for me every time

Nerdiest? How the hell can you differentiate as they all are total nerd guidos. I swear that Genius crew is the biggest buncha dorks and can't dress for nothing.

smellysox8

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2012
At 2 today, I put my phone in my pocket, climbed the stairs, and went to class. I took my phone back out at 2:50, and it had a completely shattered screen. No drop, no damage. Dont believe me if you dont want, but its true.
I contacted Apple- they want me to pay between 150-250. I'm a student, I cant pay that much. I filed a complaint with the BBB. Any ideas as to what I should do? The screen is shattered completely.
What to do?

I didn't read this thread. But I predict every reply you got was a hostile attack.

rmerani

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2012
Apparently my friend dropped her iPod touch on the ground 2 weeks ago, the new one. She took it to the store this past weekend, and the Genius guy replaced it for free.

----------

And I am not buying AppleCare or SquareTrade

Lindsford

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
Apparently my friend dropped her iPod touch on the ground 2 weeks ago, the new one. She took it to the store this past weekend, and the Genius guy replaced it for free.

----------

Unless she had accidental coverage through Apple it sounds like you're telling fibs again. But seriously OP what REALLY happened to the phone? My thoughts are you were running to class and it flew out of your pocket and hit the floor face first. Apparently it was trying to mimic Felix Baumgartners free fall

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009

----------

Good point. Get a girl with big tits to take it in, you'll get it replaced :eek: (No joke)

rmerani

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2012
Alright, Ill come out with the truth... heres what I BELIEVE happened.

I believe a previous drop (Ive only dropped it once ever) may have weakened the glass, and the pressure from my jeans completely shattered the glass. Thats what probly happened. I dont plan on buying Applecare or Squaretrade and committing fraud. My friend did not have Applecare, I asked. I will go to the Apple store, and try to get a replacement. If thats not possible, then I will have the screen repaired by a third party for $125 (Quote I was given).

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009

I believe a previous drop (Ive only dropped it once ever) may have weakened the glass, and the pressure from my jeans completely shattered the glass. Thats what probly happened. I dont plan on buying Applecare or Squaretrade and committing fraud. My friend did not have Applecare, I asked. I will go to the Apple store, and try to get a replacement. If thats not possible, then I will have the screen repaired by a third party for $125 (Quote I was given).

For that price, buy an OEM screen and put it on yourself... Why would you ruin one of the huge selling points of the phone

bwhli

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2012
Boston, MA
At 2 today, I put my phone in my pocket, climbed the stairs, and went to class. I took my phone back out at 2:50, and it had a completely shattered screen. No drop, no damage. Dont believe me if you dont want, but its true.
I contacted Apple- they want me to pay between 150-250. I'm a student, I cant pay that much. I filed a complaint with the BBB. Any ideas as to what I should do? The screen is shattered completely.
What to do?

Screens don't break on their own like that. I doubt anyone would believe it even if you filed a complaint. Time to start saving up.

Jason99kr

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2008
Seattle, WA, USA
Simple solution.
take it to Apple store and ask them to investigate about this issue.
then they will let you know if it's your fault or not.
arguing about if it cracked itself or he cracked it won't bring solution.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota

Thank you for telling the truth. You can easily replace the screen yourself with OEM part.

denaliOnDubs

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2011
CO
Not to be rude, but after owning every iPhone every made. As well as selling iPhones from launch day in 07 to now, I have NEVER seen one iPhone that broke itself. Sorry dude. Applecare+ or insurance. It's one thing to say something like this to Apple. I guess maybe your hoping for a story that will help you argue this point to Apple? I am positive that the screen did not break itself. You can find videos on Youtube to show you how to replace that screen stat!

I dont.
All these years having an iphone I never had a screen just break on its own.

AbyssImpact

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2010
Why isn't this thread locked yet? Obviously this kid is just looking for attention.

Also, why do you have two cracked screen iPhones?

One is the 4s in the beginning and the other is the iPhone 5 with your grandpa holding it...

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
What to do?

You can buy a $200 phone...and can afford a $100 per month contract fee...but can't replace it? By the way, there's no way that happened while "just in your pocket." Filing a complaint is just a waste of time, what's the issue, that you broke your screen and they're charging you to replace it?

----------

a.) definitely a guy
b.) did not drop it, there is NO point of impact.
c.) I'm on Sprint's promo credit union deal with my family so I got my phone(s) on Sprint for free, $100 credit for each line I switched over from T-Mobile, my activation fees waived. So I pay barely anything for service as well ($150 for 3 lines, unlimited everything)
d.) thanks for the wired article, and Tim's email.

That means you should be more able to afford $200.

spacemanps

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2008
New Jersey
I found mine on ebay, works great. The screen is a bit off but whatever you dont notice it until you are comparing the two. There are video tutorials all over the place. Watch some full out before you try it.

** get the special screw driver

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.