Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Carla748

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
I live in San Diego and had a ipad 1 At&t, iPad 2 Verizon . The iPad 1 at&t had better service than the iPad 2 with Verizon. I'm getting a mini iPad and wondering which service would be better?

Since this is a newer version who would have the best service? I would be getting the $15 AT&T or the $20 Verizon service.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Verizon LTE iPad supports att HSPA plus service. (Does not support ATT LTE)

ATT iPad does not support Verizon service at all.

The choice is simple. Get the Verizon LTE iPad mini unless u are on ATT's mobile sharing already.

powerbooks

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2009
But.....

Only AT&T iPad has sim slot, allowing you swap sim card (new small ones) if you need to cross the border. So in terms of comparability, AT&T wins.

darkknight11

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2011
Only AT&T iPad has sim slot, allowing you swap sim card (new small ones) if you need to cross the border. So in terms of comparability, AT&T wins.

wait, what? the VZ does not have a sim slot? you can't go abroad and pop in another sim with vz, only att?

jedivulcan

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007

Wrong. The Verizon iPad Mini has a nano-SIM slot. All cellular models support GSM/HSPA.

Last edited:

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012

Verizon definitely has a SIM slot and takes AT&T and other GSM SIMs. Supports H+ on other networks as mentioned above.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I got VZ because $20 for 1GB seemed like a better deal than $15 for 250 MB.
But the 3G CDMA is a bit slow compared to my iPhone 4S on AT&T, so it bothers me a bit. Plus, if I had the AT&T iPad, I'd have 100% LTE coverage.

Oh well though. Verizon isn't that bad, but can be a bit irritating when downloading pdfs.

powerbooks

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2009
Verizon nightmare

You guys never heard of the Verizon hassle about iPad 3 data plan?

Basically, if you stop the plan just for one month, your sim card will be "erased", "Burned", whatever word you use. And it is not a truly free on and off data plan like AT&T.

Sure you can try one AT&T sim or other European sim, but once you get off Verizon, you will be pissed on how to get the plan back!

Google the topic and learn.

Preds

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010

Basically, if you stop the plan just for one month, your sim card will be "erased", "Burned", whatever word you use. And it is not a truly free on and off data plan like AT&T.

Sure you can try one AT&T sim or other European sim, but once you get off Verizon, you will be pissed on how to get the plan back!

Is this still the case? **** if so, I'll have to cancel my orders and order AT&T instead.

powerbooks

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2009
Is this still the case? **** if so, I'll have to cancel my orders and order AT&T instead.

Someone need to be a lab rat to test the iPad mini for this. :)

As far as I know, for the regular iPad (oh, the old new iPad 3!), it is still the same as for this month.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles

Being an owner of a vzw LTE iPad I can confirm that you are wrong. You can opt out of your service for 6 months before your plan gets "burned". It's not instant and its very easy to walk into Verizon to ask for a new micro sim. I did it 2 months ago. Maybe you should work on your reading comprehension or learn to be better at "learning".

powerbooks

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2009
Being an owner of a vzw LTE iPad I can confirm that you are wrong. You can opt out of your service for 6 months before your plan gets "burned". It's not instant and its very easy to walk into Verizon to ask for a new micro sim. I did it 2 months ago. Maybe you should work on your reading comprehension or learn to be better at "learning".

Did you try it?

The iPad 3 came out only for 7 months now. Assuming you used Verizon for the first month. When did you stop by a Verizon store and had it re-activated? Let's share your luck......

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3944328?start=0&tstart=0

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/776781

Last edited:

Preds

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010

So basically make sure the plan is turned on once every 6 months and it won't be an issue?

What about resale? An article I just read brought up that once the account is killed you can only get a post-paid sim that's added to a plan, although user comments at the end of the article seem to indicate you can buy any LTE sim off eBay or at retailers like Walmart and just start a new prepaid plan.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-news/buying-a-used-verizon-ipad-no-prepaid-data-for-you/8291

powerbooks

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2009
So basically make sure the plan is turned on once every 6 months and it won't be an issue?

What about resale? An article I just read brought up that once the account is killed you can only get a post-paid sim that's added to a plan, although user comments at the end of the article seem to indicate you can buy any LTE sim off eBay or at retailers like Walmart and just start a new prepaid plan.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-news/buying-a-used-verizon-ipad-no-prepaid-data-for-you/8291

Well, you can re-activate it every six months, but there is also reported issues about once you use other sim cards abroad, and want to go back to Verizon, there would be some re-activation issues. I have not tried it myself, but will be concerned about my European travel with a Verizon iPad (no roaming of course).

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
I have the AT&T mobile share so of course I went with the LTE AT&T mini. If you have AT&T then you may want to consider the mobile share as it would only cost $10 a month to add the iPad.

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
I got VZ because $20 for 1GB seemed like a better deal than $15 for 250 MB.
But the 3G CDMA is a bit slow compared to my iPhone 4S on AT&T, so it bothers me a bit. Plus, if I had the AT&T iPad, I'd have 100% LTE coverage.

Oh well though. Verizon isn't that bad, but can be a bit irritating when downloading pdfs.
Just put in an ATT SIM then. You will get H+ on it.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
The only reason I'd ever go with a Verizon iPad is if there isn't decent AT&T service in the area. First, AT&T gives you 3GB of data for $30 whereas Verizon gives you only 2GB for the same amount. If you aren't in a Verizon LTE area you drop down to their super slow 3G service -- while for AT&T you will drop down to HSPA+ or 3G. Even AT&T's 3G is faster than Verizon 3G.

Verizon simply doesn't want people on pre-paid plans and the fiasco with which they handle iPad sims pretty much reflects that. Permanently deactivated sim cards and Verizon stores resistant to giving you a new pre-paid sim is not something I have the patience for. There are countless threads that detail exactly the hassle one had to go through just to get onto another Verizon pre-paid plan once the sim is deactivated permanently.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Did you try it?

The iPad 3 came out only for 7 months now. Assuming you used Verizon for the first month. When did you stop by a Verizon store and had it re-activated? Let's share your luck......

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3944328?start=0&tstart=0

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/776781

Yes I did. Turned it on the first month and turned it off. Turned it back on sept 1st. But then I accidentally closed my account and burned my SIM. Went to Verizon store they reactivated a new SIM free of charge and applied a 20 dollar credit to my account.

----------

If Verizon rep tells you this they are lying just to get you on a post paid. Once you get a new SIM you need to re-register all info as a new account and a new account number is issued to you. I did this in store but with a Verizon prepaid rep on the phone.

This is exactly what I did when I burned my old SIM and got a new one.

M

Mr.damien

The only reason I'd ever go with a Verizon iPad is if there isn't decent AT&T service in the area. First, AT&T gives you 3GB of data for $30 whereas Verizon gives you only 2GB for the same amount. If you aren't in a Verizon LTE area you drop down to their super slow 3G service -- while for AT&T you will drop down to HSPA+ or 3G. Even AT&T's 3G is faster than Verizon 3G.

Verizon simply doesn't want people on pre-paid plans and the fiasco with which they handle iPad sims pretty much reflects that. Permanently deactivated sim cards and Verizon stores resistant to giving you a new pre-paid sim is not something I have the patience for. There are countless threads that detail exactly the hassle one had to go through just to get onto another Verizon pre-paid plan once the sim is deactivated permanently.
It's ok as long as you don't travel. because if you do, the AT&T just sucks.

I mean, AT&T model only support US & Canada while Sprint and Verizon one supports 8 countries ...

http://www.apple.com/ipad/LTE/

aka777

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
I live in San Diego and had a ipad 1 At&t, iPad 2 Verizon . The iPad 1 at&t had better service than the iPad 2 with Verizon. I'm getting a mini iPad and wondering which service would be better?

Since this is a newer version who would have the best service? I would be getting the $15 AT&T or the $20 Verizon service.

Verizon has the largest 4G LTE, is ranked #1 for CS, and will have nationwide LTE completed by mid 2013.

AT&T is way way behind Verizon for LTE, is ranked dead last for Customer Service, and it's AT&T - they're Texan shysters.

charles4515

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2008
It's ok as long as you don't travel. because if you do, the AT&T just sucks.

I mean, AT&T model only support US & Canada while Sprint and Verizon one supports 8 countries ...

http://www.apple.com/ipad/LTE/

Eight whole countries. WOW. Sarcasm intended. That is LTE support. LTE is only available in a few countries currently. You can use your AT&T iPad while traveling in other countries at UMTS/HSPA+ and DC-HSDPA speeds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.