Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
My original iPad has a paltry 256MB. Is it a little slow? Of course, but it works and I still use it everyday.

If apple didnt cheap out and give you 512 orginally, your ipad wouldnt be working so slow.

mjtomlin

Jan 19, 2002
If apple didnt cheap out and give you 512 orginally, your ipad wouldnt be working so slow.

Uh, it runs just as fast as it did when I bought it, in fact a few things sped up after upgrading to iOS 5. However, what has changed more significantly is my perception of performance: Compared to my iPhone 4S which has an A5, it runs much slower.

It has nothing to do with the amount of memory - iOS doesn't support virtual memory, so there is no memory swapping to slow the system down, which is the usual bottleneck for low memory systems.

Last edited:

Philotech

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2010
Yes I'm a developer and have a very good understanding of memory and that's why I'm debating the point. The only reason an app would crash is due to the developer misunderstanding memory management which causes all sorts of leaks or they have a particularly memory intensive app, and it's only the likes of EA who push memory to its limit.

All apps as time progresses will use more and more memory to create bigger and better apps but that will always be the case...it's never ending. But currently there isn't an issue and to suggest a web page uses half a gig of RAM is hilarious.

True and wrong. I agree that NOW 512 MB are probably sufficient. As were 256 MB in the iPad 1 when it came out. Nevertheless, the iPad 1 was underpowered right from the start, and starting probably with iOS4, it has all kinds of apps crashing, including Safari, Youtube, App Store as native apps, plus lots of third-party aps. So apparently even Apple misudnerstands memory management.

I think, as long as iOS essentially remains what it is, 512 MB will probably sufficient in most cases. But once it gets a little more interactive (such as webOS, Win8 or Android), those 512MB will have the mini crash all the time, too. Which will likely be the case starting with iOS 8 or one year and a half from now.

Nevertheless, I will probably get an iPad mini to replace my iPad 1.

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
True and wrong. I agree that NOW 512 MB are probably sufficient. As were 256 MB in the iPad 1 when it came out. Nevertheless, the iPad 1 was underpowered right from the start, and starting probably with iOS4, it has all kinds of apps crashing, including Safari, Youtube, App Store as native apps, plus lots of third-party aps. So apparently even Apple misudnerstands memory management.

I think, as long as iOS essentially remains what it is, 512 MB will probably sufficient in most cases. But once it gets a little more interactive (such as webOS, Win8 or Android), those 512MB will have the mini crash all the time, too. Which will likely be the case starting with iOS 8 or one year and a half from now.

I'm not suggesting that 512MB is enough RAM forever, no amount of RAM will be enough forever. The point I'm making is currently it's fine and yes at some point it will start to struggle as will any older technology. What I don't get is people coming onto a forum and start dissing something for the sake of dissing it.

Unless something is specced up to the hilt they don't seem to be interested so it must be sh**!

If the iPad Mini lasts the user a year or so then great, you can't sit there waiting for the next revision every time otherwise you'd never end up buying anything.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
apple really needs Samsung's expertise. For all the bitching and moaning by some that they would never buy a Samsung product, because Samsung is some sort of evil incarnate of a company, and for all the prognostications that Apple will drop Samsung and somehow leave them high and dry, it seems that Apple needs Samsung. Without Samsung, Apple would be in big trouble.

Nobody has the expertise of Samsung. Nobody compares.

Apple are pretty close to being able to drop Samsung for panels and processors, after all the A6 was completely designed in house by Apple and only uses Samsung as a foundry for manufacture. When they get other foundries up to speed to produce the volumes they need they will drop Samsung completely for processors. They have already got to the point where from next year they will not be using any Samsung panels. Next will be processors and maybe in a couple of years even flash and SSDs. Samsung where mad to carry on as they did and are now seeing billions of dollars of business going to their competitors. It needn't have been like this if only they hadn't copied everything even down to the packaging so closely. They must have realised it would piss apple off, even Google warned them not to do it. They have good product anyway and didn't need to do that. Samsung are no where near the best they just have the high volume low cost production facilities that Apple have required.

----------

[/COLOR]

256MB in iPad 1 was more down to cost reduction more than anything else, after all when iPad1 came out none could believe how cheap it was. The lack of retina display in the mini will reduce memory requirements considerably compared with iPad3/4 so 512MB is probably going to be fine for the next few years.

Last edited:

mjtomlin

Jan 19, 2002
...has all kinds of apps crashing, including Safari, Youtube, App Store as native apps, plus lots of third-party aps. So apparently even Apple misudnerstands memory management.

The biggest issue has always been NeXT's object reference counting memory management system... which was necessary once upon a time as a means of making sure the object you need doesn't get released from memory by someone else before you're done with it.

Most of this leakage is under control now with ARC (Automatic Reference Counting), however developers are still free to allocate memory directly from the system which cannot be tracked by ARC..

Also with Cocoa, the system can and will send messages to an app to release non critical memory (objects) if the available memory is hitting a certain low threshold. If the developer ignores these messages, then the system will just kill the app.

So the previous poster was correct, it is due to sloppy programming (including Apple) that usually causes programs to "crash".

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
The biggest issue has always been NeXT's object reference counting memory management system... which was necessary once upon a time as a means of making sure the object you need doesn't get released from memory by someone else before you're done with it.

Most of this leakage is under control now with ARC (Automatic Reference Counting), however developers are still free to allocate memory directly from the system which cannot be tracked by ARC..

Also with Cocoa, the system can and will send messages to an app to release non critical memory (objects) if the available memory is hitting a certain low threshold. If the developer ignores these messages, then the system will just kill the app.

So the previous poster was correct, it is due to sloppy programming (including Apple) that usually causes programs to "crash".

Spot on....definitely explained better than I did!

MuppetGate

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2012

Nice. If you can't share nicely then we'll kick you out of the playground.

----------

It needn't have been like this if only they hadn't copied everything even down to the packaging so closely. They must have realised it would piss apple off, even Google warned them not to do it. They have good product anyway and didn't need to do that. Samsung are no where near the best they just have the high volume low cost production facilities that Apple have required.

If you look at Samsung's smartphone sales, and consider the savings they've made in R&D, you'll probably find that ripping off Apple was still a win after the possible fines and the loss of their business is taken into account.

Prallethrin

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2011
So is the US court system, it seems.

LOL... You obviously don't understand how much Apple desperately needs Samsung.

/sigh I'm probably wasting my time. Since I got a feeling nothing I say will convince you.

The poor quality retina display on the macbook pro is testament to LG's pathetic engineering talent.

**** happens.

I had a GS1 phone that had a dead pixel after 3 days of use. Testament to Samsung's pathetic engineering talent AMIRITE?

Also LG is the provider of the iPhone 4/4S retina screens, back when no one could do that level of pixel density, and currently manufacturing the iPhone 5's display along with Sharp and Japan Display Inc. Pathetic? I don't think so.

Yeah, I'm sure Apple picked Samsung's screens on the ipad mini as a way to "transition away from them sooner or later," LOL...

"The report claims that Samsung shipped approximately 15 million LCD panels to Apple in the first half of 2012, with the pace falling to 3 million panels in the third quarter and expected to drop to 1.5 million in the fourth quarter as Apple has shifted to other suppliers."

- https://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/22/samsung-to-cease-providing-lcd-panels-to-apple-in-2013/

Apple is dumping them. Slowly, but surely.

And you're apparently underestimating Samsung. Both those companies are mini Samsungs that are incapable of providing high quality products in vast numbers as Samsung does.

TSMC and Digital Foundries are the largest producers of semiconductor chips in the world - No. 1 and No. 2 respectively.

Samsung may be big as a whole, but their semiconductor business can no way be compared with TSMC's.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
I'm not suggesting that 512MB is enough RAM forever, no amount of RAM will be enough forever. The point I'm making is currently it's fine and yes at some point it will start to struggle as will any older technology. What I don't get is people coming onto a forum and start dissing something for the sake of dissing it.

Unless something is specced up to the hilt they don't seem to be interested so it must be sh**!

If the iPad Mini lasts the user a year or so then great, you can't sit there waiting for the next revision every time otherwise you'd never end up buying anything.

What we're complaining about is the the 7 month old 'obsolete' ipad 3 with 1 gb of ram will have a longer shelf life and will run apps much better in 2 years than the ipad mini which isn't even out yet. That's the travesty. Apple could've easily put the iphone 5's A6 in the mini for only a few $ more than the ancient A5.

I was going to get a 'loaded to the hilt' 64 LTE Mini, but given Apple's rapid release schedule, I hedged my bets with the cheapest $329 model which will take the smallest hit on re-sale.

Prallethrin

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2011
Yup, and that's why Apple went to Samsung AGAIN! bwahahahahah

Err ... what's your point. I will just pointing out occasion manufacturing defects doesn't mean a manufacturer like LG has "pathetic engineering talent" because then by your line of argument it would mean Samsung has "pathetic engineering talent" too.

What do you mean no one could? The reason why no other phone had that level of pixel density was because the iPhone 4S had a puny 3.5" screen specifically designed for preteen girls.

Do you even know what pixel density is?

Anyway, Apple went to LG to make those retina screens. Not Samsung. :)

That news was found to be a hoax. Nice try.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/parmyol...report-of-terminating-lcd-shipments-to-apple/
You can't get a higher quality screen anywhere else.

The iPhone 5 has one of the highest quality screens ever.

https://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/2...creen-as-best-smartphone-display-theyve-seen/

Samsung isn't making it. :)

Also my knowledge, Samsung isn't making the screens for the iPad mini. LG and AU are handling it.

https://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/1...ng-up-ground-on-ipad-mini-display-production/

LOLOLOLOLOL...
No, omg... no.
TSMC and Digital Foundries are #1 and #2 for semiconductor foundries. Do you know what a foundry is? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundry

The #1 semiconductor business in the world is intel followed by Samsung.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semiconductor_sales_leaders_by_year

So? Apple is just using them as a foundry. When it comes to manufacturing chips TSMC and DF can do what Samsung does, if not better. What's your point?

----------

What does it matter to you if Samsung bribes South Korean politicians? It doesn't affect you.

Oh ... I kind of have a sense of "right and wrong". ;)

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
given Apple's rapid release schedule

Compared to what? Is this in reference to their yearly (or longer) release schedule for products? Or is it referring to this (anomalous) update of the iPad (full sized)? Or is it referring to something else? Please help me understand.

One thing Apple does not do is release products on the heels of their other products recently released (a fact). The iPad 4 was released because they are resetting their refresh cycle from Spring to Autumn, to coincide with the iPhone/iPod Touch, as well as (or more importantly) to capitalise on the holiday demand (which also provides a nice benefit that iPad gifts given in December aren't outdated 3 months later). But perhaps you think yearly is too often??

Prallethrin

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2011
You see, the point is that what you encountered wasn't wide-spread as the LG retina display fiasco.

Just making a point. Oh yes, the GS1 also had major lag problems - I know I had one. That was a major fiasco. Everyone who had one was looking for lag fix on the net for it. Even now if you google "lag fix" a few GS1 links shows up. LOL

Yup, and screen size plays a major role in it. Don't be mad you bought a toy meant for little girls.

And look where it got them with the retina macbook pro.

Against as I told you. Occasional defects doesn't mean "pathetic engineering talent". You seem to have trouble accepting that LG on-up Samsung on the iPhone 4 screens.

That's why Apple is using Samsung again for the iPad mini.

*sigh*
http://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...apples-enemy-samsung-20121101,0,6988602.story

Looks like conflicting information.

But from your article,

Samsung has stopped supplying displays for Apple's iPhone, and does have a reduced role in the iPad panel, according to DisplaySearch. Apple is also buying fewer memory chips from Samsung for the iPhone 5, relying more on SK Hynix and Elpida Memory.

Many analysts believe Apple will also gradually phase out Samsung as the main supplier of the mobile micro-processor, essentially the brains of its mobile devices, and shift to rival supplier TSMC.

Sooner or later. :)

From the article,

"DisplayMate president Raymond Soneira blasted the study, arguing that the color gamut test IHS conducted was based off of an old standard that has led to incorrect conclusions."

also

The difference in color gamut between the iPhone 5 and Galaxy S3 doesn't necessarily mean iPhone users will get a worse experience, IHS said, adding that better calibration, higher brightness, and superior power efficiency of the display may result in more accurate and realistic representation of image color and contrasts.
"Some user reviews indicate that colors presented on the Galaxy S3 actually can look oversaturated and unrealistic," Jakhanwal said. "While it may be interesting to compare the display specifications for the two phones, the actual front-of-screen viewing experience could diverge for different users."

Apparently, they can't. Apple is still relying on Samsung for the A5 processor in the iPad mini.

Takes time. But we are getting there.

So why do you buy Apple products? Aren't you helping the evil, monster that is Samsung?
Never mind that. How about those iproducts made from Chinese children? Apple isn't a saint.

That why I'm happy that Apple is phrasing out Samsung.

As for China, EVERYONE manufacturers there - even Samsung (http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2012/09/05/tech-samsung-labour.html). Apple is at least making an effort to audit them to keep them honest.

Apple ain't no saint, but they are the less of two evils.

Prallethrin

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2011

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
What we're complaining about is the the 7 month old 'obsolete' ipad 3 with 1 gb of ram will have a longer shelf life and will run apps much better in 2 years than the ipad mini which isn't even out yet. That's the travesty. Apple could've easily put the iphone 5's A6 in the mini for only a few $ more than the ancient A5.

I was going to get a 'loaded to the hilt' 64 LTE Mini, but given Apple's rapid release schedule, I hedged my bets with the cheapest $329 model which will take the smallest hit on re-sale.

The iPad 3 is hardly obsolete (I also have an iPad 3), it's only obsolete if you feel the need to go out and suddenly buy the iPad 4 just because they added a new processor and you have to have the latest model.

Obsolete is VHS.

LLIBSETAG

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2009
Apple Designs & Engineers the A Series chips...

But Samsung Manufactures them to Apple's specifications.

But, Apple is coordinating with other manufacturers currently & will soon dump Samsung altogether...

Isn't it crazy that Apple is still working with Samsung??

The answer is yes.

pr5owner

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2007
seriously some of you are so ignorant im suprised you even know how to post online.

do you know that the majority of the parts in the iPad come from Samsung?

Screen = Samsung
Ram = Samsung
CPU = Samsung
flash memory = Samsung

just the little things like amps, antennas, cameras, etc are made by someone else

so you are saying Samsung products are crap when both Samsung devices and apple devices have the same parts underneath?

if anything Samsung devices are superior since they have unrestricted access to all technologies they manufacture (SAMOLED HD, latest Eynos procs, latest 20nm flash memory, latest ram)

the amount of ridiculous uneducated posts is mind blowing on this site

before you say samsung is going under or android sucks, blah blah blah
you should know android commands 75% of the market share for smartphones now, they are going anywhere but down.

http://thenextweb.com/mobile/2012/1...lowed-by-14-9-for-ios-and-4-3-for-blackberry/

if anything apple should improve their relationship with Samsung so they can get more of the good stuff

pr5owner

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2007
I had a GS1 phone that had a dead pixel after 3 days of use. Testament to Samsung's pathetic engineering talent AMIRITE?

lol yeah ok, you owned a GS1 sure i believe you, ive had my GNEX for 1 year now, not a single dead pixel, rarely have to reboot, pretty pathetic hey?

ZODhw.png

Edit: standard bb resize code [img=xx,xx] isnt working, hmmm

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.