Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gregrose

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Hey everyone,

So a month ago I bought the Nexus 7, first time with android and its awesome! I still am using an iphone 4 and I am ready to get a new phone. I tried the SG3 for a few days and wasnt a fan of it, I am not sure why I just dont think I gave android a big enough chance as a phone, so I bought the tablet which i really grew to like.

Anyways, will the nexus 4 be available for at&t? I am confused about it being an off contract phone or however they worded it, thanks!

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Hey everyone,

So a month ago I bought the Nexus 7, first time with android and its awesome! I still am using an iphone 4 and I am ready to get a new phone. I tried the SG3 for a few days and wasnt a fan of it, I am not sure why I just dont think I gave android a big enough chance as a phone, so I bought the tablet which i really grew to like.

Anyways, will the nexus 4 be available for at&t? I am confused about it being an off contract phone or however they worded it, thanks!

The way I understand it you can get it from Google Play as an unlocked phone and you should be able to use any companies prepaid sim in it, or you can buy it from t-Mobile as a prepaid phone plan with their sim.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Hey everyone,

You can buy it from the Play store full price and use it on AT&T. Whether AT&T will sell it susbsidised or not I'm not sure.

gregrose

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
It can only be used as prepaid? Or can I switch my plan over to it?

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

If you're already an AT&T customer, all you have to do it take the sim card out of your iPhone 4 and put it in the Nexus 4--that's it. No need to contact AT&T for anything. Went back and forth between my iPhone 4s and a Galaxy Nexus often.

gregrose

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Wow that's it? Hmm I might have to try that. Any easy way to import my contacts over to the nexus?

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Wow that's it? Hmm I might have to try that. Any easy way to import my contacts over to the nexus?

The way I did it was:

I had my contacts in my Macs Address Book so I exported my contacts and added them to my Gmail account and then synced it to my GS3. Simple as that.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA

For my Nexus 7 I purchased an app called Smooth Sync (I think thats it) for Contacts and Cal. What it does is sync your contacts and cal events from iCloud with your Android device. So easy and they stay in sync across my Android, OSX and iOS devices.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
For my Nexus 7 I purchased an app called Smooth Sync (I think thats it) for Contacts and Cal. What it does is sync your contacts and cal events from iCloud with your Android device. So easy and they stay in sync across my Android, OSX and iOS devices.

Looks like a good app. I'll add it to my wishlist in case I'm ever using both Android and iOS simultaneously. Right now I'm using a GS3 and Nexus 7 so don't really have any use for it.

----------

Is it a Nano SIM like iPhone 5?

From what I've read the Nexus 4 will use a micro SIM like the iPhone 4/4S

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV

I have T-Mobile but everytime i have bought a phone from Ebay whether it was made for T-Mobile or unlocked, i just stuck in my Sim and it works. No need to do anything so in my experience id say you dont have to transfer anything.
And that includes a couple ive bought that were supposed to be a prepaid phone using prepaid cards....or however that works. Just put in the Sim and it worked just fine using my existing plan and thats why i love having a Sim card phone.

When i get my Nexus 4 im not going to call them. Im just going to put my Sim in it and thats what i did when i got my Wife her Windows phone from eBay. Eventually the carrier will read what phone you are using as it always pops up online when i log in. It shows all the phones we are using next to our names even when i switch phones.

tjl3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
If you're already an AT&T customer, all you have to do it take the sim card out of your iPhone 4 and put it in the Nexus 4--that's it. No need to contact AT&T for anything. Went back and forth between my iPhone 4s and a Galaxy Nexus often.

Actually if you want to utilize AT&T's HSPA+ you will need to swap your SIM out. It is free going to the Nexus, but for some reason they charge you switching back to iP4 (I'm sure you could talk them down on this). But for iP4 there is no HSPA+, so your SIM is not formatted for it.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
When you use an Android...like you will with the N4, save your contacts with your Google account, not your phone or Sim card. That way it will always sync them automatically when or if you get another Android phone down the road.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

Used the SmoothSync apps as well on my Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7 and they work great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.