Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
I used that image an showed it to the Genius who tried it on their own 5s and they said their screen does that too and that it's probably a refresh rate issue. One Genius actually said could see my display flickering even in the homescreen without that image :/ They also said they couldn't see the scan lines though. It seems more people have this screen issue than we think.

I can confirm that my iPhone 4 with no scan line issues does not flicker on that image at any brighness. It's really disappointing if this is really the result of cost cutting. Consumers aren't stupid and I'm actually losing faith in Apples QC after these 'nanometer precision' iPhones.

Last edited:

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
Every owner of a 4/4S who has asked me to hold my 5 has told me the same. "WOW, this screen looks amazing".

So faulty device I guess? :confused:

Zeusus

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2012
Calgary, Canada
I dunno. Almost every device I have tried does this. It is really disappointing. I think most of them have these subpar panels. I would assume that they are not shap panels and are a result of the sharp shortage. When you spend this much money on a premium product you expect a premium product. Perhaps apple can address it with a dynamic refresh rate as obviously these screens cannot handle the static refresh rate from the gpu.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
Sorry for saturating this thread haha, but I just want to document stuff so you guys know the interlacing is not normal. My friend took a picture of my screen vs his screen and you can see a complete difference. I don't know if I should keep getting replacements because my unit doesn't have scratches or any other major issues and getting another one doesn't guarantee a better screen.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 1,540

lguest

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2012
I noticed that this is more visible on blue or grey colors. It gets really bad when either your eyes or the screen moves, because it seems that the color is shifting on these edges.

I always get disturbed by this issue when I type on the keyboard. When you type, the phone moves bit by bit and and the keyboard literally looks like it flickers.

Another bad experience was watching youtube or netflix. Watching videos in landscape mode with a lot of horizontal lines gives you soar eyes.

I heard that the stores stopped replacing the phones for this issues hiding behind the excuse that this is within the specification. They say it is a perfectly working phone :confused:, which I can't really argue against since I can make and take phone calls.

katmeef

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2010
I noticed that this is more visible on blue or grey colors. It gets really bad when either your eyes or the screen moves, because it seems that the color is shifting on these edges.

I always get disturbed by this issue when I type on the keyboard. When you type, the phone moves bit by bit and and the keyboard literally looks like it flickers.

Another bad experience was watching youtube or netflix. Watching videos in landscape mode with a lot of horizontal lines gives you soar eyes.

I heard that the stores stopped replacing the phones for this issues hiding behind the excuse that this is within the specification. They say it is a perfectly working phone :confused:, which I can't really argue against since I can make and take phone calls.

Where on the keynote did they advertise a significantly lower quality display than the 4 or 4s, with interlacing artifacts running through the display causing headaches?

They have tried to refuse me for replacement for this issue, but when I had the genius put the vertical line test image on his own phone and compare next to mine, he stopped pushing back. All the white-box iphones I get have the same problem though, and I can't check until the replacement is done (genius tells me i cant use the phone till he's done as I'll loose the factory unlock if it activates too soon)

Last edited:

mustu

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
No sure

Well I tried it out on my screen and I cant really see it flicker like crazy or anything. I do see it kind of flicker.... or is it and optical illusion not very sure.

Any ways can someone post more pics or video's or let us know what screens apart from the test images to looks for.

Do you think the iOS 6.01 would iron it out?

enophi1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2008
UK
Well I tried it out on my screen and I cant really see it flicker like crazy or anything. I do see it kind of flicker.... or is it and optical illusion not very sure.

Any ways can someone post more pics or video's or let us know what screens apart from the test images to looks for.

Do you think the iOS 6.01 would iron it out?

I've tried it too, saw nothing. The flicker I've seen is an optical illusion, I asked other people to check my screen too and they can't see it on first look, but after staring for a while, they can.

Optical Illusion.

As for the interlaced lines in the images above by the other poster, If they look that way all the time then it's an issue, but you can see them on ANY device if you are filming or taking images of the screen, just move the camera around over the device and you will see them.

If you see them with your own two eyes, without a camera? and with just general use of the phone, then I'd say you have interlacing issues, but if you can only see this from photographs or by using a camera lens, then you need to step back from that and just stop obsessing because there's nothing there to be obsessing about.

My iphone has none of these issues, I can move my phone around, mess around with the screen and I get no lines or fuzziness at all.

enophi1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2008
UK
Here are my two models side by side , Excuse the over saturated images, and the lines. I was forced to use my old 4s

Week 39 Black (64GB) - left

Week 36 Black (64GB) - right this one is being returned to Apple, so I have to choose between the two and this one is scuffed :(

Both are at 100% full brightness. They both look very different under natural light. It's difficult to get the images to show how they really look. They show a pinkish tint using the 4s camera, but don't show this with the naked eye.

Attachments

• Iphone1.png
    Iphone1.png
    863.4 KB · Views: 315
  • Iphone2.png
    Iphone2.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 244
  • Iphone3.png
    Iphone3.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 240

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
Here are my two models side by side , Excuse the over saturated images, and the lines. I was forced to use my old 4s

Week 39 Black (64GB) - left

Week 36 Black (64GB) - right this one is being returned to Apple, so I have to choose between the two and this one is scuffed :(

Both are at 100% full brightness. They both look very different under natural light. It's difficult to get the images to show how they really look. They show a pinkish tint using the 4s camera, but don't show this with the naked eye.

I don't get it; what is wrong with the one on the right if it is not interlacing?

enophi1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2008
UK
I don't get it; what is wrong with the one on the right if it is not interlacing?

Scuffed to hell. Neither of them are interlacing. Looks that way with the one on the left because of my damn crappy camera on the 4s.

The one on the right is awful, even the camera and some apps tend to crap out and freeze.

enophi1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2008
UK
This is what interlacing looks like. If you cannot see this with the naked eye and only through a camera lens, you are obsessing.

If however, this is visible to the naked eye, obsess away dudes.

Interlacing - Left

No Interlacing - Right

Attachments

• lines.png
    lines.png
    494.8 KB · Views: 179
  • nolines.png
    nolines.png
    485.1 KB · Views: 179

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
This is what interlacing looks like. If you cannot see this with the naked eye and only through a camera lens, you are obsessing.

If however, this is visible to the naked eye, obsess away dudes.

Interlacing - Left

No Interlacing - Right

Interesting your lines are horizontal. It seems this isn't a new problem as iPhone 4 owners complained about them. I wonder who makes the interlace screens or if all manufacturer's provide bad screens from time to time.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1200372/
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3221956?start=0&tstart=0
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3170657?start=0&tstart=0

I looked back at my iPhone 4 and actually saw horizontal lines, but they are so small that I might as well be looking at subpixels. I didn't notice the lines during the 2 years using the iPhone 4, but the lines are much bigger on the iPhone 5 and I noticed it within a few minutes of using the phone at a normal viewing distance.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
I just noticed yesterday and today for very quick instances some horizontal color lines around the top edge of the keyboard, they flick quickly and then disappear. Anyone else seeing this?

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
hi, guys, this shop is big sale different iPhone accessories, Tablet PC, toys now. up to 80% off. we declare we sell the lowest price and highest quality. if someone sell lower than us, we will refund you. free shipping + fast delivery = our best choice. we don't miss: http://x.vu/282498

Thank you for the

2.spam-google-docs.jpg

mustu

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
Hi guys I can notice a big difference after updating to the new iOS 6.01

I can't see the lines any more and it's become fluid like my 4S

Andrew K.

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
Just went to the apple store and had it checked out. It's normal and new for the iPhone. The previous iPhones did not have the grainy dots. After looking at the displays again, they in fact did have the grainy dots. The geniuses also assured there was nothing wrong with the phone, but of course said I could do an exchange once there is another shipment of phones. My verdict is that the 4/4s does have a better display than the 5.

Mine has the same thing, most iPhone 5s shouldn't. I might exchange mine but its not bothering me too much. I have unlimited protection at best buy so ill just swap it out later for a new one when this one gets dinged up. Guess we got the luck of the draw. :)

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
Hi guys I can notice a big difference after updating to the new iOS 6.01

I can't see the lines any more and it's become fluid like my 4S

+1

I used to get slight flicker especially bad near the dock now it is rock solid after testing it after the update. Other people, check yours after installing the new update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.