Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RenoGuy

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2012
The solution right now is wait or direct download:
Code:
wcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/53/02/041-8081/2jwp4wjrwygtm4lc608qy4h0n4a9yyq37g/Safari6.0.2Mountain.pkg

Even though my download(s) appear to work fine, figured I would try your link....It does not appear valid here! I also only have Safari on my Imac. IMHO, the trade offs to Chrome are not worth having any google "INVASIVE" software on any of my computers!

I presume that with all the "ISSUES", there will either be a "pull" and/or reworked version of the Safari update! Like the Infamous "CUI" error on that Lion Update!

Having had Imacs for over 7 yrs, I am appalled at the number of problems that Apple updates W/ FAILURES that have been steadily INCREASING! Yes, the OS's and updates are more complicated that previously, but it appears that testing and QC have been just thrown away!

It is not like The company needs more revenue, so there should be a bit less push on new product and more "push" on QC on what is out there!

One of the worst was the cui error in Lion that I still have not forgotten. That was really my 1st MAJOR update error on OSX.

Luckily I actively use TM and also have a Windoze 7 pc. I always had MUCH more confidence in my Apples that my Windoze Pcs. Now I am not so sure about either!

It is also quite possible that some of these issues are brought forward by pre-existing problems in installations that were never noticed!

works of wisdom AGAIN!

BACKUP...BACKUP... BACKUP!

Baytriple

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2012
If you are getting errors. Go to the apple downloads page and download them separately. I haven't found a safari download yet.

Aidan5806

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
I really wish Apple would invest a little more in Safari. There are a couple of obvious features that all other browsers have that, if implemented in Safari, would push me to dump Chrome and use Safari as my daily driver.

Out of genuine curiosity, what features would you like to see added to make it better than everything else?

Namtaro

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2011
Still getting a 102 error when trying to update from the App Store. Restarted a few times and still nothing. Not going to bother with it since it's not a major update.

vendini

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2012
You can get the direct update link here :
swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/53/02/041-8081/2jwp4wjrwygtm4lc608qy4h0n4a9yyq37g/Safari6.0.2Mountain.pkg

md4peace

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2007
This worked for me

If you're having troubles updating via MAS try the direct download (I've got only the URL of the ML build): swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/53/02/041-8081/2jwp4wjrwygtm4lc608qy4h0n4a9yyq37g/Safari6.0.2Mountain.pkg
(removed the "http://" from the beginning so that it doesn't create a direct link from here)

I used this link from mag01 and there was no problem - downloaded and installed in a few seconds.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
I had to reset Safari after the update. It kept hanging loading several webpages I visit. Works fine now.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Oh! At least name them?

Safari has always worked great for me. I've never been able to get a stable release of Chrome on the Mac. Issues with either the RAM consumption, lag when scrolling or pinching. A mini second of faster access won't change my life though.

Out of genuine curiosity, what features would you like to see added to make it better than everything else?

I wouldn't say that there are huge omissions, rather a multitude of smaller items that add up to something large.

• Move the tabs to the top of the interface. There are common UX reasons for this, such as a natural flow of information from top to bottom and reducing the visual impact of the tab/omni box area. You'll notice that Chrome for Mac minimizes the space by placing the traffic lights and full screen control on the same row as the tabs rather than them having a dedicated row. Safari uses this space to duplicate the page title that already exists on the tab
  • Allow users to pin tabs. This exists in pretty much every modern browser except Safari
  • Add favicon support on tabs. Especially when pinning, it is easier to navigate tabs by image than it is to read the text on each tab
  • Move the "Open in new tab" above the "Open in new window" option in the right-click menu. It makes no sense to default to open new window in this age of tabbed browsing
  • Unify address bar and search bar. - This was only recently done in 10.8
  • Add "Duplicate Tab" option when right-clicking a tab
  • Allow multiple homepages
  • Sync all browser data/settings/passwords to iCloud (encrypted, of course). This is a standard feature on most modern browsers. Safari only syncs bookmarks today
  • Encourage more development of 3rd party extensions/themes. The library for Safari is severely lacking compared with Firefox or Chrome. This is a BIG one
  • Enable site translation tools as a standard feature. As someone who regularly visits sites in various languages, Chrome's translation tools are extremely valuable

I'm sure there are more, but those are the ones off of the top of my head. There are a lot of great things about Safari, it just needs a little love.

AirThis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012
The direct download doesn't work either for me. Guess I'll have to wait for Apple to fix it. :cool:

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Sorry, but Chrome > Safari

Not like it used to. Since they added "searching in the URL bar", Safari's UI is much more bearable and IMO better than Chrome's now. Safari doesn't have annoying things like Chrome's awkward non-standard print dialog.

The iCloud features of Safari are great. I use reading list a lot, and its really rather cool how your browsing history and open tabs from your desktop are immediately available on your iPad/iPhone. One of those features that becomes extremely useful when you need it.

The one area where Chrome still soundly beats Safari, for me, is automatic translation. Extremely useful and something I wish Safari had too. I guess it's another example of Google's more global/multicultural outlook compared to US-centric Apple

Performance wise, it's a wash. They both use the same underlying rendering technology (WebKit) anyway. Then again, for some reason, Safari just feels snappier(tm) :)

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Got a growl update here, everything seems fine and ok; will let you guys know if something is not right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.