Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gvdv

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2007
Hi does anyone have any experience with the Mac version of 'Studio One 2' DAW/software?

If so, I would be very grateful to hear your impressions.

Thanks in advance,
gvdv

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
logical, intuitive enough start recording, quick, nice all in one page sequencer.

gvdv

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2007
Thank you for your response, musio.

That is good to know.

Have you had any experience of other DAW's to compare it to, and if so, what was that experience?

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
Studio one is exactly what people say, a cross between logic and cubase. It's from ex Steinberg developers. It has got the best bits from both. IF and that is an IF logic X comes out, it better be better than studio one.

Why don't you install the free version of it and give it a go? If you're new to recording stick with garage band. Studio one is harder to use. You can do some great things with GarageBand if you're new to the game

http://studioone.presonus.com/free/

gvdv

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2007
Thanks, musio, yes, I had planned to install the demo version after I check whether my old Mac Pro's specs are up to it.

Thanks,

gvdv

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
I've been testing out the free version of Studio One v.2. I bought Digital Performer 6 a few years back and struggled with it even after using a DVD tutorial. I just didn't have the patience to figure it out. It does have it's fans and can do just about everything well but I'd probably need someone to show me how to use it.

I've been using Sagan Technology Metro 6 for a long time which is pretty easy to learn and strong on the MIDI side but I would like use Metro and another DAW for additional features.

Probably like others I'm waiting to see what Apple does with Logic. Apple is going to have to really raise the bar to compete with Studio One. A few new tools and interior decorating isn't going to cut it for me.

gvdv

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2007
Although I plan to try the demo version of S.O.2 at some point, from what people have said, and knowing that Logic will have to, as fastlanephil said, come up with something good, I am inclined to wait to see what happens, and continue to use Garageband for now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.