Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JCSyd

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Had mine from Sydney's Flagship store by 8.05am, the queue of several hundred had all been served by 9.00am. Store has since returned to normal operation.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
It is, it is made of cheap plastic. The metal casing of the mini is more expensive to produce than the plastic casing of the nexsus.

some people actually prefer "cheap" plastic

anyway, i havent seen lines for an iPad launch since the first iPad release around my area . i guess u can just walk in and grab one without a problem tmrw/today

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
Got my white 16 Gig WiFi from JB Hi Fi this morning. Comparing this to the Nexus 7 well you cant. My nexus 7 is a week old, bought it because it was cheap. This ipad is so familiar and easy to use and feels literally half the weight of the nexus tablet. Loving it.

M Loooviiin it!!!!!

mrobit

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
The sad part is that it's not nostalgic at all for me. I've been trying to get an N64 for a long time, and I finally have one now that it's 2012 :cool:

Nice! definitely is great to go back to the classics. Or, in your case, experience them for the first time. It's so crazy to see how fast graphics and game development has progressed in such a short time.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
can we get this kid off the front page already? crist

Why? He's making the front page a delight to go to. Haha. I seriously didn't notice the headline, mini, or anything but his smile.

Little jealous there, Richard.

+1

Glad I'm not the only one thinking that...

Seems like there's many of us.

This is an Apple site.

So it should be 'beautiful. And the jailbait is okay too'

Lol. Looking like jailbait and being a jailbait are two different things. Good thing he isn't the latter.

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney Australia
Just got mine.

Plenty of stock at the Apple store in Bondi.

All done in 15 mins.

Great toy to play with over the weekend. Still wish it was retina display.

But still excellent. :D

ANMA dojo

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010
There are more Apple Stores in California alone (52) than the continents of Australia (17), Asia (15), Africa (0) and South America (0) combined. 38 million Californians have 52 stores between them; 5 billion 322 million citizens (approx three quarters of the worlds population) of Australia, Asia, Africa and South America share 32 Apple Stores between them.

The reason why Apple keeps selling out is because they target the places with higher earnings and higher disposable income, Europe and North America. 5 out of every 8 stores in in America. USA is not a microcosm of the world.
didn't care for the rest of your post, but thanks for this info! we Californians are blessed :)

chriscrk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2011
Planet Earth (?)
I thought I was the only one that noticed that.

But, I'm sure he's <18. So, now I feel dirty.

----------

But there's so many headless pictures on there. I'd rather see a face. The people on here aren't THAT bad. lol.

I think he was born in 1984. At least that's what came up when I searched for his name on wiki, which suggested a James Griffin that is an entrepreneur from Australia, and the one shown in this picture describes himself as an entrepreneur who's currently in New Zealand, and seems to fit the age of someone born in 1984.

Yup, not stalkery at all.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
The Nexus 7 certainly has good build quality. That's all that matters.

All that matters for whom? While that's true for some, others have higher expectations. They want more than just good enough, which I believe the Nexus 7 is. They want beautiful, thoughtful design, craftmanship, impeccable fit & finish and luxurious materials to go along with incredible build quality. That's why there's a market for companies like Rolex, Mercedes, B&B Italia and.... Apple.

dumb terminal

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2008
San Diego, CA
So much for the fools who claim that the price is too high.

Apple is sold out with huge lines forming in every part of the world. If all that Apple cared about was profits, they could have priced it at $429 and made a killing. but the low price proves that Apple cares mostly about the User Experience and that profits just magically happen to appear due to their customer-first attitude.

People wake up and go to work at Apple every day because they want to make others happy. They do not do it to make a paycheck. The do it to Change The World into a better place for other people.

But the Googley Fandroids will deny it because they hate Apple, and because they hate every single person who owns even one Apple product. They all just live in their parent's basement and spend all of their time changing screen savers on their Android devices. So sad.

People who own Apple products buy them to actually do real work, and NOT to just play with them or to fight the OS to try to get rid of all the malware.

Is that you, *LTD*? :rolleyes:

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
I think he was born in 1984. At least that's what came up when I searched for his name on wiki, which suggested a James Griffin that is an entrepreneur from Australia, and the one shown in this picture describes himself as an entrepreneur who's currently in New Zealand, and seems to fit the age of someone born in 1984.

Yup, not stalkery at all.

Haha. Makes me wonder if he's actually seen this thread. I mean, his twitter feed shows a screen shot of MR.

...that boy is cute!!!!!

A good chunk of this thread has turned into acknowledging this sexy beast. Lol. No one really saw the iPad.

Last edited:

I.Love.Apple

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2012
It is, it is made of cheap plastic. The metal casing of the mini is more expensive to produce than the plastic casing of the nexsus.

How much do you think aluminum case cost? $5? Definitely not much more than that. And why ALL iPad owners buy plasic cases for their devices if aluminum is that good? Have you EVER seen iPad without a case in pulic? I have not. Then what's the point in having a metal frame in a first place?

----------

All that matters for whom? While that's true for some, others have higher expectations. They want more than just good enough, which I believe the Nexus 7 is. They want beautiful, thoughtful design, craftmanship, impeccable fit & finish and luxurious materials to go along with incredible build quality. That's why there's a market for companies like Rolex, Mercedes, B&B Italia and.... Apple.

Let's see... iPad Min vs Nexus 7. Let's look at the engines. It's like Mercedes with 100HP vs Nissan with 330HP. Same goes for screen quality, RAM size, lack of GPS and NFC. So, iPad Mini is like KIA with Mercedes exterior.

DVK916

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2006
How much do you think aluminum case cost? $5? Definitely not much more than that. And why ALL iPad owners buy plasic cases for their devices if aluminum is that good? Have you EVER seen iPad without a case in pulic? I have not. Then what's the point in having a metal frame in a first place?

----------

Let's see... iPad Min vs Nexus 7. Let's look at the engines. It's like Mercedes with 100HP vs Nissan with 330HP. Same goes for screen quality, RAM size, lack of GPS and NFC. So, iPad Mini is like KIA with Mercedes exterior.

More than $5 for sure. The build quality isn't even comparable, every review has pointed this out.

Mums

Suspended
Oct 4, 2011
What's so great about selling or owning quickly disposable goods? Is it because rapid product turnover earns a company more money they should purposely build products that have a shorter lifespan?

It's called planned obsolescence and it is the practice of greedy monopolists.

Mohammad Aliff

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2012
iPad in Singapore

Brought my white iPad mini wifi model today, there is a little line outside my local reseller.
i was the 5th person in line :)

fermat-au

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2009
Australia
There are no apple stores in New Zealand!
Exactly. Often, the first place in the world to sell a new Apple product is the Apple Store, George Street, Sydney. The east coast of Australia being the most easterly part of the world to have Apple Stores. From memory the first iPhone 5 was sold at George Street, Sydney. Some of the other Apple Stores in Sydney are in complexes that do not open until 9 or 10am.

nemo1617

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2012
wow hes really cute ill take him instead of the ipad lol ;) i oordered a black n white one just to see which one i like better lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.